Alarm icon in pull-down settings, what's the deal?

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I have this alarm toggle in my pull down settings but I have no idea what it's connected to. When I look in the clock app I have no alarms. Last night it was showing "Sun 09:00" and now today, after 9am it's showing Sun 21:00 (9pm tonight). At 9am it didn't trigger an alarm and no doubt at 9pm tonight it won't either. But I don't get why it's highlighted as if it's turned on. When I short press it nothing happens, but when I long press it, also nothing happens. It just seems to be confused about life. Aren't we all? But if I wanted it to turn on/off alarm it isn't doing anything - so it's lying to me about being on and having an alarm set and not letting me unset it.

So confused.

I bet if I wanted an alarm set I could go into the clock app and set one - that's worked for years.

2022-01-09 00.34.04.png

Last edited:

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Seems bugged because the functionality is what you mentioned if it's highlighted on the notification menu and shows a time it means the alarm is set for that time. I recommend you go to the clock app in settings and just clear the cache to see if that helps.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Figured out how it works/doesn't.

If you have no alarms set in the Clock app - then the notification widget is bizarrely highlighted and ignores any clicks - long or short.
BUT, if you do go and set an alarm, which you have to do via the normal Clock icon via the home screen, then when you come back and look in the notifications it will show the alarm time you set and it's clickable and takes you to the Clock app to that alarm directly. Once you delete that alarm, the notification widget (which is what I'm calling it) becomes useless again.

What I've done is re-arrange the icons in the drop-down so that I don't see it anymore - it can't bug me now :cool: It doesn't affect my ability to set/delete alarms - nor did it help in any way when it is still in-view.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Weird -- send Google feedback about this in the system settings.

You don't have any 3rd party clock/alarm apps installed, right?

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
You don't have any 3rd party clock/alarm apps installed, right?

I don't have any 3rd party clock/alarm apps installed.

Weird -- send Google feedback about this in the system settings.

LOL. That's a good one. That's the funniest thing I've heard this year. Google don't even answer questions in their own support forums. There's no way they're reading feedback. :D :-$

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
LOL. That's a good one. That's the funniest thing I've heard this year. Google don't even answer questions in their own support forums. There's no way they're reading feedback. :D :-$

Heh heh, glad I could give you a laugh.;) But seriously, there have been times where I've sent feedback, and then later found that the issue was corrected. Was it due to my feedback alone? Almost certainly not. But my feedback probably contributed to it, since the more feedback they get, the more likely they'll pay attention to the issue.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Heh heh, glad I could give you a laugh.;) But seriously, there have been times where I've sent feedback, and then later found that the issue was corrected. Was it due to my feedback alone? Almost certainly not. But my feedback probably contributed to it, since the more feedback they get, the more likely they'll pay attention to the issue.

Glad it worked out for you ;-)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have this alarm toggle in my pull down settings but I have no idea what it's connected to. When I look in the clock app I have no alarms. Last night it was showing "Sun 09:00" and now today, after 9am it's showing Sun 21:00 (9pm tonight). At 9am it didn't trigger an alarm and no doubt at 9pm tonight it won't either. But I don't get why it's highlighted as if it's turned on. When I short press it nothing happens, but when I long press it, also nothing happens. It just seems to be confused about life. Aren't we all? But if I wanted it to turn on/off alarm it isn't doing anything - so it's lying to me about being on and having an alarm set and not letting me unset it.

So confused.

I bet if I wanted an alarm set I could go into the clock app and set one - that's worked for years.

View attachment 340336
That toggle in pulldown notification panel is for the alarm app if you long press the toggle it takes you to it , and its showing because you have a alarm set in your statues bar so it will show in that toggle . You can edit The toggle out like you mentioned. If you dont set a alarm it wont show in toggle if you decide to keep the toggle.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
That toggle in pulldown notification panel is for the alarm app if you long press the toggle it takes you to it , and its showing because you have a alarm set in your statues bar so it will show in that toggle . You can edit The toggle out like you mentioned. If you dont set a alarm it wont show in toggle if you decide to keep the toggle.

That functionality you're describing is exactly what any sane person would expect, that's how it should work. It isn't for me though. It's there regardless of me not having any alarms set and long or short pressing it results in nothing. If I do have an alarm set, then it works as you describe. It seems that the misbehavior is that it's not hiding it when there are no alarms set.

I'm over it now though. I know my alarms work and I've rearranged that button so it's no longer visible and it's stopped confusing me :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That functionality you're describing is exactly what any sane person would expect, that's how it should work. It isn't for me though. It's there regardless of me not having any alarms set and long or short pressing it results in nothing. If I do have an alarm set, then it works as you describe. It seems that the misbehavior is that it's not hiding it when there are no alarms set.

I'm over it now though. I know my alarms work and I've rearranged that button so it's no longer visible and it's stopped confusing me :)
Ahh ok , well u found a work around by taking toggle out . Can see by next update if it gets fixed .

Remrose

Jul 2, 2021
Visit site
That notification is for the Google clock. You may have an alarm set without sound as I do to manage the battery adaptive charging feature (I use another alarm app for wakeup). Suggest you power off phone and restart to see if it clears things in respect to what happens when you press the notification. (single tap should bring you to Google clock setup ).

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
More bizarreness. On the lock screen all day long I see it showing that there's an alarm due at 21:00 (9pm). After that time passes and there's no alarm (because I don't have one set at 21:00) it changes to showing I've got an alarm at 9am - at that time there's no alarm and it switches back to 9pm.

As if that wasn't weird enough. If I wake the phone up and then put it back to sleep, it shows I've got an alarm 10 minutes in the future from now. As that time comes, and of course no alarm fires, it switches back to either 9pm or 9am (whichever is next up).

It's the freakiest thing. This image below (left) shows it when it was telling me my next alarm is at 9pm, then I woke it up and put it back to sleep at 2:37pm and you see the fake alarm set for 2:47pm which of course never happened and it switched back to a fake alarm at 9pm. This all happens despite force-stopping the clock, disabling clock notifications, and even disabling "allow setting alarms and reminders". I've also invested if this is related to the Calendar app rather than the clock but it seems not.

It's not a great hardship having an icon permanently on my lock screen - it's most definitely a 3rd-world problem, but that's what forums are for - investigating curious behavior, so why not ask :)

20220112_140430combined.jpg

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had this exact bug since day 1 on my P6P and started a thread about it weeks ago as well. I just completely ignore the alarm notification now since it never seems to be actually indicating any alarm I have set. I'm using the stock clock and alarm on my phone so I'm just hoping Google has this on their list of bugs to squash.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had this exact bug since day 1 on my P6P and started a thread about it weeks ago as well. I just completely ignore the alarm notification now since it never seems to be actually indicating any alarm I have set. I'm using the stock clock and alarm on my phone so I'm just hoping Google has this on their list of bugs to squash.

Finally somebody else seeing it too. I thought it was just me. Did you by any chance do the migration of your data from a Samsung via cable process? I'm just wondering if that's the reason I've got this - perhaps something coming across from Samsung has caused this. Otherwise I don't see why everyone wouldn't be seeing this.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Finally somebody else seeing it too. I thought it was just me. Did you by any chance do the migration of your data from a Samsung via cable process? I'm just wondering if that's the reason I've got this - perhaps something coming across from Samsung has caused this. Otherwise I don't see why everyone wouldn't be seeing this.

Nope, totally fresh setup since I came from my Note 8 stuck on Oreo (my choice). I didn't want any shenanigans to come over from my old phone.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Nope, totally fresh setup since I came from my Note 8 stuck on Oreo (my choice). I didn't want any shenanigans to come over from my old phone.

So maybe I'm wrong to be assuming my migration-path is a candidate for why it's happening. It's the only thing I can think of. I guess not.

Mathrania

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
Do you have Tasker installed? I know tasker was doing the false alarm for me. I changed the settings within Tasker and it doesn't show me false alarms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12