clock size on lock screen?

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I've got my P6P set to show the always on lock screen. Sometimes it shows the clock in the top left in a medium sized font. Other times it shows it in a giant font. It seems to be random which one it chooses. It's not like it follows rules - like nighttime small daytime large.

Does anyone know how I can force it to be always big ?
20220112_140430combined.jpg

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Typical isn't it. After that last screenshot with the big font size I got a notification and it reverted to the small font. It seems like it's only big when there are no notifications.

Question still stands though, without disabling notifications on the lock screen, is it possible to keep the big font even when there are some notifications? There's a ton of room on the screen, moving that clock down by an inch would easily leave room for the notifications.

I'm expecting a negative answer because nobody on the Google Dev/QA team could have ever thought of wanting this ;-)

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The only way I've found to keep the big font numbers of the clock is to disable notifications on the lock screen. If you find another way, please post it here.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe small clock is for when you have notifications and large clock is for when you have none. If you notice the screenshot with the small clock you have a few notifications such as Gmail etc.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm turning off lock-screen notifications for now. I'd rather see the big clock than the notification icons. I'd love to have both though if anyone knows how.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
It is fascinating to me that there are folks walking around who find the large display “confusing” and say that it is “hard to tell the time” from it.

Really?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've found that when you use the quick pull down menu and enable "Do Not Disturb," the big clock numbers will stay on.

D4005 said:
Yeah, because you're not getting any notifications ;-)

Hmmm...interesting. I want the big clock numbers to show at night. I have a Do Not Disturb rule in effect from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am. Maybe I can have the best of both worlds--notifications on my lock screen during most hours and big numbers on my clock at night.

<changing my settings now>

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm...interesting. I want the big clock numbers to show at night. I have a Do Not Disturb rule in effect from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am. Maybe I can have the best of both worlds--notifications on my lock screen during most hours and big numbers on my clock at night.

<changing my settings now>

I'm not sure if DO NOT DISTURB actually inhibits notifications. If it does, you should be good for the big numbers at night. I always think of do not disturb as meaning don't make any noise. I guess you'll find out.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if DO NOT DISTURB actually inhibits notifications. If it does, you should be good for the big numbers at night. I always think of do not disturb as meaning don't make any noise. I guess you'll find out.

I turn on DO NOT DISTURB every night. (I keep my P6P under my pillow.) DND does, in fact, stop all notifications and sounds. When you turn DND OFF, all notifications that were delayed, come in at once.

Another feature of DND is that it only allows phone calls from people you designate. All others are auto answered and messages taken.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
d4005 said:

There are three options for showing notifications on the lock screen (lock screen is where you get the large clock numerals.)

1. Show conversations, default, and silent
2. Hide silent conversations and notifications
3. Don't show any notifications

I knew #1 does not keep the large clock numerals on the lock screen, because once you get a notification you lose the large numbers.
I knew #3 works to keep the large clock numerals on the lock screen all the time.
So I tried #2. Nope, didn't keep the large numbers on the lock screen. Notifications came in, I just didn't hear any sound events. Clock went to the smaller numerals in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

I turn on DO NOT DISTURB every night. (I keep my P6P under my pillow.) DND does, in fact, stop all notifications and sounds. When you turn DND OFF, all notifications that were delayed, come in at once.

This is what I have experienced as well.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Strangely, I've gone back to having notifications on the lock screen. When I look at the phone and it's got a large clock, I know there are no notifications. When I see the clock's small I'm not thinking "shame, the clock is small" ... instead I'm thinking "I have a notification - it's time to look at what the notification is" and after looking it's back to large clock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781