Pixel 6 Bluetooth issue after January update

HighwayBob

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Just after installing the January update I have noticed a major Bluetooth issue.

I always listen to Spotify in my car over BT and suddenly it stopped working. The Pixel and my receiver see each other and are connected, but no audio goes out over the BT connection and it simply plays on the Pixel internal speakers.

Same thing happens with a Bose BT speaker and even my Pixel Buds. No audio even though the device is seen by the Pixel and a connection is in place.

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 smart watch and it connects to my Pixel and has no trouble syncing and transferring data to/from the Pixel.

I have tried telling the Pixel to "forget" the device and then re-pair it. Each device pairs normally but the problem persists.

I opened a case with Google support but I have to say I'm underwhelmed. This is the first time I've ever needed them, and the support person had me try a few useless things and is now insisting I do a factory reset which I am refusing to do at this point.

I already did a reset of wifi/Bluetooth/mobile connections and that had no effect on the problem.

Any input is appreciated since Google seem to have no clue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Connected Devices​, then tap the gear icon next to the Bluetooth device in question. Is Media Audio turned on there?

HighwayBob

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
I researched this a little more. While I don't see reports of my specific issue, I have seen a number of people report audio cutting out repeatedly along with some other similar audio issues over Bluetooth.

A Google search found a thread on Reddit about Pixel bt audio issues and one guy said this:

I had the same issues and enabling the "Disable Bluetooth A2DP hardware offload" option in developer options fixed all my issues.

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to do this but I made this change and my problem seems to have disappeared! Immediately after changing this setting (and a reboot was required afterwards) I was able to play audio over my Bose speaker and my Pixel Buds work again as they should. I will try my car receiver today but it looks like this was the key.

Does anyone know what "Disable Bluetooth A2DP hardware offload" actually does?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I researched this a little more. While I don't see reports of my specific issue, I have seen a number of people report audio cutting out repeatedly along with some other similar audio issues over Bluetooth.

A Google search found a thread on Reddit about Pixel bt audio issues and one guy said this:

I had the same issues and enabling the "Disable Bluetooth A2DP hardware offload" option in developer options fixed all my issues.

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to do this but I made this change and my problem seems to have disappeared! Immediately after changing this setting (and a reboot was required afterwards) I was able to play audio over my Bose speaker and my Pixel Buds work again as they should. I will try my car receiver today but it looks like this was the key.

Does anyone know what "Disable Bluetooth A2DP hardware offload" actually does?
I know some have luck with Bluetooth changing those settings

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I had this happening about a month ago and seems to have rectified itself somehow. Disabled A2DP, dropped BT to 1.4 AVRCP, enabled Gabeldorsche and many other things I read. Not sure what "fixed" it but I have figured out to get my BT speaker to play I need to turn that on and have it pair first before I start YTMusic.

The speaker also doesn't like to play music if I don't have phone calls checked off. I don't use it for calls but for someone reason it having that checked makes it work.