P6 fingerprint bug?

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Just noticed that I have to tap and wake up the phone to use fingerprint. If phone is off and I touch fingerprint, nothing happenes. Is this a new security feature, or a bug? Thanks

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes on the AOD it shows fingerprint scanner, but I have to tap to wake before it will activate.

That's a bug then I think. On the always on display you should be able to place your fingerprint on the icon and have it read your print to unlock the phone. With screen completely off it should not work.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
That's a bug then I think. On the always on display you should be able to place your fingerprint on the icon and have it read your print to unlock the phone. With screen completely off it should not work.

Thanks that's what I thought.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Has been mentioned by others as occurring intermittently. Is your situation always the case, or does it work properly sometimes?

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Happens since the Jan update. Didn't notice it happening before. It shows fine on AOD but nothing happenes when I press it. I have to wake screen first by tapping the screen or via power button to wake, then it works fine.

Rodawg71

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Just checked...locked the phone and unlocked with FPS just fine (on AOD, ten multiple times)

Edit: just did it again with notifications and no problem.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
For the OP: do you have any smart lock trust settings enabled (trusted device, trusted location, etc.)? I am seeing this periodically also since the January update. I have a smart watch set as a trusted device and once every few hours I see the fingerprint icon on the lock screen but it does nothing. When I swipe up to unlock the phone smart lock kicks in and the phone unlocks. I wonder if this is related to the smart lock fix that was part of the January update?

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
That's how I was always believed how it's supposed to work. You tap the screen to wake up the screen or hit the power button to wake up th screen and then tap the finger print to unlock. Same as if you didn't even have a password where you need to wake up the phone first then swipe up to unlock.

Am I missing something? Are you saying you used to be able to just put your finger where the sensor is without having to wake the phone or are you using always on display? I don't use always on display and for me I have to wake it then use my finger to unlock it.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I did a factory reset and it fixed it for a while. But not working again. I works if I tap (wake) the screen. But it's supposed to work directly from AOD with the phone off. I shouldn't have to wake the screen first. I got used to that feature with the s21, but it's not working on P6 for some reason.

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Strange. I don't use AOD but turning it on I can NOT unlock. Might as well be a picture of a fingerprint. Does nothing until I wake screen.

VZ unlocked P6P

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Strange. I don't use AOD but turning it on I can NOT unlock. Might as well be a picture of a fingerprint. Does nothing until I wake screen.

VZ unlocked P6P

That's exactly how it is with my P6. Its showing, but it does nothing when pressed.

HighwayBob

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Interesting. Since I got my 6 there have been times when I see no fingerprint "target" on the screen so I couldn't unlock it. I would either have to repeatedly tap the screen or tap the power button.

However, since I installed the January update this problem seems to have disappeared.

Is there some way to file bug reports with Google, besides having to open an inquiry with support? I had a Bluetooth issue that I solved myself and support was difficult in diagnosing it - they just wanted me to do a factory reset.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Interesting. Since I got my 6 there have been times when I see no fingerprint "target" on the screen so I couldn't unlock it. I would either have to repeatedly tap the screen or tap the power button.

However, since I installed the January update this problem seems to have disappeared.

Is there some way to file bug reports with Google, besides having to open an inquiry with support? I had a Bluetooth issue that I solved myself and support was difficult in diagnosing it - they just wanted me to do a factory reset.
I don't have the link in front of me, but it's called Google Buganizer. That's where we file our bug reports.