Way too many issues, who's jumping ship once S22 Ultra launches?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Im one of the rare ones that didn't have issues so staying with my Pixel pro , plus no interest in s22u i still have my fold ³ and Note 20u

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm very happy with my P6P. Very minor issues. Also I'm just not particularly interested in the Samsung phones, and if the P6P wets the bed I have backup devices, device protection, and Jump on Demand. So.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My 6 Pro has been awesome. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Samsung's phone experience has definitely improved over the years, but One UI's quirky differences from Pixel's interface (not all of which can be changed by a 3rd party launcher) and all of that Samsung bloat would still drive me away. Having to use the Galaxy A32 5G for a month last year (after my 3 XL died) was not my favorite experience -- and it didn't have to do with performance, since that phone packs an impressive punch for being a "budget" phone.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to see what Samsung was about, so I tried an S21 and returned it after a week.
I'm not going to waste my time on the S22.
My Pixel 6 Pro has been exceptional!

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm happier with my P6 now after the January update. I was thinking I might get an S22 (not ultra... too big and too much $), but I'll probably hold onto this one until the P7 or iPhone 14 comes out and the reevaluate.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Overall I like the pixel 6. But I will be selling the P6 and going with the S22 Ultra. Not happy about the potential price, but I'm sure they will offer a good trade in for the S21.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm leaning towards getting rid of my Pixel 6 Pro and getting the Galaxy S22 Ultra.

There are just way too many issues with the Pixel 6 that I'm still having even after the latest updates. Issues I never had when I was on the Galaxy S21Ultra. Plus just on hardware alone, the Galaxy is so much better than the 6 Pro, I thought the 6 Pro was a good deal at $900US, but it's really not. The S21U had the much better screen, battery life, *fingerprint scanner was much, much better*, better speakers, more versatile camera, better heat management, better auto-brightness. And then I didn't get anywhere near the number or severity of bugs that I got with the Pixel 6 Pro, including the dreaded reception issues.

Plus, I find a lot of Pixel exlusive features aren't very good/useful. Call screening just has people hang up the moment they hear the robot Google voice, there's no transcript of what was said and no option to then ask them to leave a message either. It's better off just to let them go to voice mail so you know what the call is actually about. Hold for me (when it works) is hardly impressive. I've had it hold, then the prompter had asked me for my pin code for their system but the phone never notified me or got off hold for me to do it and the call ended, so now I do what I used to do, put it on speaker and at a low volume. Magic eraser I stopped using as it botches the photo and leaves weird patterns where the removed objects were. Then there's Android 12 which IMO is just a mess of a design and in trying to make things look cool, they made functionality way, way worse. Theming system is whatever, not something I'm interested in - shame it doesn't work as advertised and the themes are all just pre-scripted themes they built into the phone rather than the AI/ML really designing themes itself.

As far as UI design, OneUI is really very good now. There's no difference in usability. People go on about bloat - I mean, you can either remove or just stuff all those apps in a folder and never look at it again. I have apps on my Pixel that I consider bloat, but I can't do anything to remove/hide them like Google Calendar, Clock, Pixel Tips etc they just sit in the app drawer. I'll probably wait for Samsung to offer some trade in deal. Last year they had great trade in offers like a month or two after release here. Here's hoping the Pixel 7 is a massive improvement over the 6.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree that One UI has greatly improved, but there are still odd Samsung quirks that can be annoying. Off the top of my head, one example is that they still insist on saving screenshots to the /DCIM directory (in the /DCIM/Screenshots subdirectory), which means they get automatically backed up to Google Photos -- maybe some people like this, but considering that Google Photos backup is no longer free/unlimited, I'd suspect that more people find this an annoyance. Another one I encountered is when opening the Camera from a locked state by double-pressing the side key -- if I took a picture and then reviewed the shot in the Gallery app, tapping the back arrow at the upper left would bring me to the PIN entry screen, and not back to the Camera app (which made me miss a few shots that I wanted to get). Minor quibbles, but these added up to detract from my experience.

Regarding bloat -- an interesting comparison between my A32 5G and my 6 Pro. In the Storage menu, my 64 GB A32 5G reports 14.03 GB used for System, while my 128 GB 6 Pro reports 15 GB. But one has to keep in mind that with the Pixel's dual A/B partition (for seamless updates), the reported storage taken up by the system is actually doubled, due to the dual partitions -- so a single system partition only takes up about 7.5 GB. An additional 7-8 GB of bloat may not seem like all that much, but it might become important on a 64 GB phone.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't say jumping ship as I was always going to get the S21 Ultra as I get every S/Note release, but the problems with my pixel 6 pro does make it easier not to use as my daily driver.

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Never cared for Samsung wife has 21+ and don't like the ui but that's personal preference. Might look at Motorola again I believe they have some crazy spec phone rumored.

Loved my droid turbo that was a beast

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have not had a single issue with my 6 Pro. Best phone I have ever owned. Much better than the S10+ I have and that runs OneUI 4.0 so is the latest experience. I prefer the Pixel experience more. But each to their own. I hope you enjoy your S22u. Since it costs so much more I would expect a lot more of it.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I was at work when I started the thread. Had to go, that's why I just said I am. LOL

Two rare issues since the January update.

Data. Basically randomly resets where it takes a minute to connect again. It happened four times.

Play Store. Unresponsive, I can't install or update apps. Twice I had to CLEAR DATA.

This is the first flagship where I have issues like this since the iPhone 4 and Samsung S4.

I hate that I wasted my upgrade too. I did get a great deal so hopefully I can sell it at cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs