Curious... brightness?

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Seeing articles today about the Pixel 7 (pro at least) having a brighter screen. I've had some issues with my 6, but brightness was never one. I rarely put my phone above about 40% brightness so higher does not matter to me.

I'm curious if folks keep their phones at max brightness routinely. I only put mine up if i need to scan a QR code or something like that.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My S21 Ultra is usually set to 30% and my Pixel 6 is at 65%. The S21 Ultra is brighter when they are side by side ,, which should give you an idea of how bad the brightness on the Pixel is.

It's not just limited to the powerhouse either. The displays on my old S10e and Oneplus 5 (and the 2 and 3) are also brighter.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
My brightness on my zfold3 is usually higher than my P6Pro. To be fair I always have my displays on adaptive brightness so there is that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
All my devices automatically if for some reason I needed to tweak just slide the brightness bar up or down

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Bright gives me eyestrain, so in general, i keep all my devices at the lowest setting I can get away with. More bright is never a selling point for me. I always see it as a part of reviews of things and wondered how many people care. That said, my eyes are strange. Dark modes give me more strain than light.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Seeing articles today about the Pixel 7 (pro at least) having a brighter screen. I've had some issues with my 6, but brightness was never one. I rarely put my phone above about 40% brightness so higher does not matter to me.

I'm curious if folks keep their phones at max brightness routinely. I only put mine up if i need to scan a QR code or something like that.

Pixel 6 has a dim screen, no way around it. Google likes dim screens for some reason. The s22 ultra on half brightness equals full on the pixel.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Pixel 6 has a dim screen, no way around it. Google likes dim screens for some reason. The s22 ultra on half brightness equals full on the pixel.

That's my question. For me, full brightness on the P6 is way too much. I cannot imagine even brighter. Just wondering if people like their phones that bright.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't use Adaptive Brightness and prefer to control it myself. Depending on my surroundings, my brightness is set between 40% in a dark room and 70% in a bright room. Any brighter than 70% is too much for my eyes. My Pixel 6 Pro brightness is more than enough for me.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That's my question. For me, full brightness on the P6 is way too much. I cannot imagine even brighter. Just wondering if people like their phones that bright.

It's not so much about liking it that bright, it's not like I'm sitting in my living room chilling with the lights down low and my phone brightness at 100%. But outside in summer at midday it's the difference between actually being able to use your phone and your phone just being a useless slab of glass.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It's not so much about liking it that bright, it's not like I'm sitting in my living room chilling with the lights down low and my phone brightness at 100%. But outside in summer at midday it's the difference between actually being able to use your phone and your phone just being a useless slab of glass.
This. I almost have to have my old Note 9 at maximum brightness to be able to see it in midday outdoor sunlight. My S22 Ultras have no problem at all but they will quickly drain the battery at that brightness.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
For my past few phones, I've always kept my phone to adaptive brightness. I may turn it up or down depending on my environment, but it's almost never at max or lowest brightness unless the phone has done so on its own.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Yes, the pixel can get bright under certain situations, especially if you're indoors in a darker area... At home such places I have no issues with it.. but when you go outside it's sunny out. That is where I wish either the software was updated to let it max out a little higher... Overall they like to keep the screen lower and most will adjust to it especially if you don't switch phones like some of us

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Adaptive brightness, which is fine most of the time. If I'm looking at my pictures in the Photos app, I generally bump up the brightness. I too wish that the screen could be brighter when outside. It's difficult using it on a sunny day.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When out hiking or biking I have to crank up the brightness to even use the camera when in full sunshine. And if I forget and leave it there, it really takes a chunk out of the battery during the rest of the day.

mutant777

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't use Adaptive Brightness and prefer to control it myself. Depending on my surroundings, my brightness is set between 40% in a dark room and 70% in a bright room. Any brighter than 70% is too much for my eyes. My Pixel 6 Pro brightness is more than enough for me.
Have you tried "training" your adaptive brightness? Leave adaptive brightness on, and adjust the brightness to your liking under different background lighting conditions for a day or two. I find that the adaptive brightness figures out what you prefer after a day or two. May not work for everyone, though.