Trouble making outgoing calls with car Bluetooth

neodoc427

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Hello, everyone.

I have a problem with making outgoing calls while connected to the car's Bluetooth. When I initiate a call using the phone or the car's controls, once the phone connects the call, it chooses to route it to the phone and not the car. In order to go through the car's handsfree system, I have to physically take the phone in my hand and switch the call to the car, which is not safe and defeats the purpose of having handsfree capability. However, incoming calls go through the car's handsfree system without issues. This happens in all my vehicles, so it's not the car. Moreover, if someone with a non-Pixel phone which is also paired with my car initiates a call, it goes straight to the car. The problem is with my phone. I made a call today while stationary and when it connected the call, I saw it scroll through all the possible outputs (car, watch, speaker and phone) and choose "Phone." I then had to switch the output to the car to be able to hear it over the car's audio system. Is there any setting to make it choose the car first when connected through Bluetooth? I can't safely make any calls from my car. Please help if you can.

neodoc427

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Driving mode is off. I simply can't make a handsfree phone call while in the car, but incoming calls are routed through the car's audio system. I never had this problem with my Pixel 2XL, and I'm trying to remember if my 6 Pro worked properly before it upgraded to Android 13. Very frustrating.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I would try resetting network in setting see if it clears up but your going have to put WiFi password back in after reset

neodoc427

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Just to update everyone, I called Google support twice today and explained the problem. They were unable to solve it. If I don't have my watch connected to the phone, the outgoing calls will go through the car's audio system. As soon as the watch is connected, as the phone initiates the call, it scrolls through the watch, car, speaker and phone and settles on phone as the output, so I then have to manually switch it to the car to be able to talk hands-free. This does not happen with incoming calls, and it didn't occur at all until my phone updated to Android 13. There doesn't seem to be a way to set priorities in Bluetooth wherein the phone will route the outgoing call through the car's audio system preferentially. Very frustrating indeed, as it defeats the purpose of having handsfree capability. Any help would be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you use the watch to make phone calls? If so, turn that functionality off completely and see if the problem persists.

I'm still curious if turning Driving Mode on might also help.

Jan 4, 2023
Visit site
Hi mate I'm having the same issue, it's very frustrating, shouldn't have to switch off the watch for compatibility to the car, did you ever find a solution to this?

My issues with the pixel 7 pro

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae