Why is no charger included with new Pixel phones?

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Is this the latest "save the planet!" attempt by Google?

Personally I'd like to have a charger that is built to correctly charge my 6A but instead I had to dig around the house to find an older "fast charge" charger in hopes it charges the phone at the proper speed.

Such a silly thing to remove from these phones.

:mad:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I think Apple started this trend of not putting a charger in the new phone's box. But hey, you already had a charger so you're good.

Ask yourself how many chargers you have lying around? I bet I've got a dozen, and not just for phones. Now think about how many chargers are in landfills.

What they should do is give you a coupon or a coupon code to get a "free" charger for $4.95 in shipping. That way, if you truly need a charger you can get it, but if you already have one that works you're good to go. The $4.95 shipping fee will stop people that just want to get free stuff, because, hey, it's free.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have absolutely no problem with this practice, and applaud it. I have waaaaay too many chargers.

Also, maybe if they included a charger, the retail price would've been about $50 higher?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have absolutely no problem with this practice, and applaud it. I have waaaaay too many chargers.

Also, maybe if they included a charger, the retail price would've been about $50 higher?

I wouldn't mind so much if they were honest... but it's just profiteering disguised as environmentalism, which I have a pretty big issue with.

It is also a bit telling that companies like Xiaomi manage to include crazy 120w chargers and still charge less than Apple, Samsung and Google.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've got more chargers than I know what to do with, literally a drawer full of them and I haven't even bought a phone in 2 years.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know Google was going this route, as well. That is unfortunate. I still think they need to either supply individual chargers at a small cost, if they are going to do this, and knock $20 off the price of the phone, for those who want those accessories. In an ideal world, I guess...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I didn't know Google was going this route, as well. That is unfortunate. I still think they need to either supply individual chargers at a small cost, if they are going to do this, and knock $20 off the price of the phone, for those who want those accessories. In an ideal world, I guess...
I think they should give the option at checkout maybe say hey for additional 15.00 we can include charger and cable with device or not interested skip it at check out .

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I think they should give the option at checkout maybe say hey for additional 15.00 we can include charger and cable with device or not interested skip it at check out .

I agree. And I think that's a problem, they claim they don't include anything with the phone anymore to save the environment, yet they charge the same or more for the phones than when they were including the proper speed charger, headphones, and sometimes even a case. Now we have to buy all those things separately.

It sounds like the only environment being saved is the company CEO's financial environment :eek: ;)

I refuse to buy a charger for my Z Flip 3 that didn't come with one... I just charge it with my pixel charger lol. I'm kinda stubborn like that :p

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree. And I think that's a problem, they claim they don't include anything with the phone anymore to save the environment, yet they charge the same or more for the phones than when they were including the proper speed charger, headphones, and sometimes even a case. Now we have to buy all those things separately.

It sounds like the only environment being saved is the company CEO's financial environment :eek: ;)

I refuse to buy a charger for my Z Flip 3 that didn't come with one... I just charge it with my pixel charger lol. I'm kinda stubborn like that :p
I hear you , it's like you advertising it can charge faster but its not included , yeah lot of us have 5w/15w chargers but if this phone I purchased can use 45w I need that option to be included and some are PD charging others are warp charging so you need correct one to get that charging capability, you don't have your standard 5w charging anymore across the board well maybe iphone (kidding) they went up a notch .

Example my One plus warp charger for 1+7T pro does not rapidly charge my Pixel or fast charge my Samsung , good thing my Samsung fast charges both pixel rapid and Samsung super fast as they both use PD charging.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I hear you , it's like you advertising it can charge faster but its not included , yeah lot of us have 5w/15w chargers but if this phone I purchased can use 45w I need that option to be included and some are PD charging others are warp charging so you need correct one to get that charging capability, you don't have your standard 5w charging anymore across the board well maybe iphone (kidding) they went up a notch .

Example my One plus warp charger for 1+7T pro does not rapidly charge my Pixel or fast charge my Samsung , good thing my Samsung fast charges both pixel rapid and Samsung super fast as they both use PD charging.

Well said Mustang, better than I was able to explain it. You're pretty handy :p Wish I was closer to you so I could have you replace the plastic intake manifold on my mustang. I'm at 80k miles and it's already cracked :-\

Not a big fan of plastic parts on top of hot engines :(

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Exactly. The last 4 phones I bought that had chargers were the oneplus 2, 3 and 5 and the S10e. I was using the S10e on my S21 ultra until it died 2 months in. So what do I do? charge incredibly slowly for 6 to 8 hours with one of those multitudes of chargers in my drawer? No, I bought a damn new one, which cane in it's own box, which came in another box the size of a shoe box, which came in a plastic bag which came in it's own van! YAY! The environment is saved!

I also have no way to use wired headphones with a phone... if I decide I'd like to do that, guess what? that tiny dongle also gets it's own van!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

YES x 1000! That would be efficient and trustworthy marketing. I'm assuming the Pixel 7 will follow this route. Very frustrating. I like using chargers that come with the phone so I know the device will charge properly and efficiently. I guess I could use my Pixel 5 charger. Did the Pixel 6 line come with a charger in the box?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
YES x 1000! That would be efficient and trustworthy marketing. I'm assuming the Pixel 7 will follow this route. Very frustrating. I like using chargers that come with the phone so I know the device will charge properly and efficiently. I guess I could use my Pixel 5 charger. Did the Pixel 6 line come with a charger in the box?

No, but they will sell you a 30w one at an inflated cost! They don't actually charge at 30w bythe the way, even though it was heavily implied in the marketing... But that isn't intentional false advertising, just a simple misunderstanding!

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I sell all my "old" phones and the charger goes with them. I have yet to buy a phone without a charger! THis is a money grab, plain-and-simple!

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a fan of their Google branded charger cost that's needed for the 6A. Even worse is they just offer 2 rubbery plastic, super basic cases and they want $30 for them!

Rick Dangerous

Jun 18, 2021
Visit site
This is a real PITA. I'm pretty sure Samsungs still come with a charger.

The worst thing Google can do it try to copy apple. I still miss 3.5mm headphone jacks and micro USB card memory slots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs