First impressions from a first time Pixel user...

DanielLoreti

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
So I've been using Samsung Galaxy since the S8 and I'm coming from a S20 Ultra (I have used the S21 Ultra a bit as well since my mom has one). I've been using the Hazel 7 Pro since early this afternoon and I love it. It's fast, the screen is nice and despite what I've heard about the Pixel, the fingerprint scanner has been excellent so far. As for the cameras... I'm blown away. The shutter speed is excellent, the daylight photos are amazing, the fur detail on my cat pics are great and the night sight is definitely better then I expected. Even with just the flash the pics are great and night sight really adds that extra layer of greatness. I've tried the zoom up to 10x with great results, even in lowlight and the macro shots are amazingly detailed. Overall I'm pleasantly surprised with the whole package and this camera is superb.

Edit: Also, even if the picture doesn't look great when it's lined up in the view finder, I'm always surprised with how great it looks after it processes!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Viewfinder preview cranks ISO to keep framerate up while unable to process real time noise reduction so it will never look as good as the final processed image.

I frequently see people say the shutter is faster on the Pixel but that logically doesn't make sense, do you mean there is less delay from when you press the shutter button to when the picture is taken?

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Another thing I appreciate is the minimal curve on the screen. I still prefer a flat screen, and I am not sure why Google kept any curve at all, but as far as this one goes it is so minimal that I hardly notice it and can live with it. The phone does need a case though (IMO) because trying to pick up the phone by the sides is still a little hard because they are narrow. A flat screen makes the sides a little wider and easier to grip. YMMV

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Another thing I appreciate is the minimal curve on the screen. I still prefer a flat screen, and I am not sure why Google kept any curve at all, but as far as this one goes it is so minimal that I hardly notice it and can live with it. The phone does need a case though (IMO) because trying to pick up the phone by the sides is still a little hard because they are narrow. A flat screen makes the sides a little wider and easier to grip. YMMV

My thoughts exactly..... I am loving my Hazel P7P. But i would have preffered a flat screen. This is just too damn narrow and slippery to not use a case lol

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
It's been a day with my snow p7p. Performing great but I do feel it is quite warm when you used more than 30 mins. Hopefully it will settle down in a weeks time.

bernardogrady

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had a pixel for a few models but I think my biggest disappointment is how cheap the screen sounds. (Not in looks or function, or feel). It sounds hollow and plastic. Coming from an S20 Ultra which feels and sounds like it has a thick hunk of glass for a screen, the pixel sounds plastic and cheap.

I have since read that on the pixel 6, this was due to the screen not being fixed to the mid-frame to make repairs easier and I'm sure that carried over to the 7 but damn it makes typing sound loud on it.

DanielLoreti

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
I haven't had a pixel for a few models but I think my biggest disappointment is how cheap the screen sounds. (Not in looks or function, or feel). It sounds hollow and plastic. Coming from an S20 Ultra which feels and sounds like it has a thick hunk of glass for a screen, the pixel sounds plastic and cheap.

I have since read that on the pixel 6, this was due to the screen not being fixed to the mid-frame to make repairs easier and I'm sure that carried over to the 7 but damn it makes typing sound loud on it.

I have noticed this as well now that I'm on Day 3 of using it. Overall I'm really loving this phone, but nothing can top the Ultra screen for me.

Zorrak

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
First timer here too. I always used Samsung.
I was really starting to wonder if the front and back are plastic, way different feel from a Galaxy S21. Is there anyway to get the Google search bar out of that spot? takes up the entire bottom row when it doesn't need to be there at all. Im really surprised so far that Samsung One UI has more options and is better.
then little things like double tap to wake is perfect. this has 1 tap which i accidently do all the time.
Face unlock doesnt actually open the phone you still have to swipe holy hell.

and they used the Galaxy S8 AoD clock again that should of got someone fired then. I'll never understand how that gets thru

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Voice typing, enough said. Using it to make this post, there's no going back.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I was really starting to wonder if the front and back are plastic, way different feel from a Galaxy S21. Is there anyway to get the Google search bar out of that spot? takes up the entire bottom row when it doesn't need to be there at all. Im really surprised so far that Samsung One UI has more options and is better.
then little things like double tap to wake is perfect. this has 1 tap which i accidently do all the time.
Face unlock doesnt actually open the phone you still have to swipe holy hell.

and they used the Galaxy S8 AoD clock again that should of got someone fired then. I'll never understand how that gets thru

You can skip lockscreen swipe in face lock settings. .
91c4fa81f457ed974ea02fce7caeafaf.jpg

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What an amazing review! So glad you are loving your Pixel 7 Pro and that the camera and fingerprint sensor are surpassing your expectations! So happy to hear that cat fur is being processed effectively!

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was really starting to wonder if the front and back are plastic, way different feel from a Galaxy S21. Is there anyway to get the Google search bar out of that spot? takes up the entire bottom row when it doesn't need to be there at all.

Using stock settings, no. However, you can install Nova launcher and that will replace the stock one, give you many more options on how the phone will look and feel, including getting rid of the search bar.

I would suggest getting the free version and then waiting for the Pro version to go on sale. Or you could get Google opinion Rewards, and wait until you have enough Play credits to get the paid version.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Why can't we change the default volume rocker to ringtone instead of media?
On OnePlus phones there is a setting allowing you to change the default...and people want to slam OnePlus. While I like my 7 Pro I will say this: All the OnePlus phones I have used have all been stellar!
So does anyone know of a way to do this? I would even like to separate the ringtone volume from the notification volume but I have a work around for that. But there is NO reason for the volume button to control media ONLY!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs