Can anyone send Google Messages SMS reactions?

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have this feature on their P7 yet? I'm on Beta Messenges, and my P6 and OnePlus have it but still waiting on my P7.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Not for Pixel, but I can confirm that sending reactions to SMSs (received from iPhones) is now possible from my Samsung A21 using Google Messages App, not on beta.

Today I long pressed an SMS message I received from an iPhone, and there it was, a small set of emojis I could select. Once selected/sent, the emoji reaction shows on my end as desired under the applicable received text I reacted to. I don't yet know what it looks like on the iPhone end (in terms of correctly under the applicable text or a separate "reacted to" message). Will find that out later.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Not on pixel 7/pro, but maybe applicable as I'm on pixel 6 pro. I have never been able to until last week. I reset my chat features setting in the messenger app. After that, I was able to send reactions, but it seems to be hit or miss. Some conversations I'm able to, some not. Have not figured out the difference yet.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Not for Pixel, but I can confirm that sending reactions to SMSs (received from iPhones) is now possible from my Samsung A21 using Google Messages App, not on beta.

Today I long pressed an SMS message I received from an iPhone, and there it was, a small set of emojis I could select. Once selected/sent, the emoji reaction shows on my end as desired under the applicable received text I reacted to. I don't yet know what it looks like on the iPhone end (in terms of correctly under the applicable text or a separate "reacted to" message). Will find that out later.

I checked with the other end at the iPhone today, and they got a complete new text message (not back where the original message was) with the emoji reaction I sent and with also a: "...to: xyz" indication. The iPhone user basically now has it worse than I do in terms of richness for the reaction emojis to be displayed under/on/with actual respective earlier messages. Regardless, still overall a massive step forward for richer (emoji/reaction based) SMS interoperability, in my opinion.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I checked with the other end at the iPhone today, and they got a complete new text message (not back where the original message was) with the emoji reaction I sent and with also a: "...to: xyz" indication. The iPhone user basically now has it worse than I do in terms of richness for the reaction emojis to be displayed under/on/with actual respective earlier messages. Regardless, still overall a massive step forward for richer (emoji/reaction based) SMS interoperability, in my opinion.

Not that I wish a less than ideal experience on those who choose to use iOS devises, but I do find confess to finding some guilty pleasure in that, given how long I had to deal with XXXX reacted 'Like' to "-------------------------" fully quoting the entire body of the text to which iOS users had reacted

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

I can confirm that is how iPhone users see a reaction from my P7 (this feature started working for me a few days ago). One iPhone user thought I was manually typing in that response, lol.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm that is how iPhone users see a reaction from my P7 (this feature started working for me a few days ago). One iPhone user thought I was manually typing in that response, lol.

I used to manually type in those irritating responses to an ex-family member by marriage that was allowed to stay on the family thread.
:(
They are an iPhone user who liked & loved everything. [Gag] So I typed out those long annoying responses to everything they texted. Eventually, that individual stopped the reactions on their end, so I stopped my manually typed ones. I doubt if they ever totally understood what was going on.
:D

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Not that I wish a less than ideal experience on those who choose to use iOS devises, but I do find confess to finding some guilty pleasure in...
It's not going to take Apple long to figure out how to "fix" how their phones process those incoming reaction SMS messages from the Google Messages App. In fact, I won't be surprised if a bit of a developer war brews up for a bit. Just think of how easy it would be for Apple to format their "reaction messages" in a slightly different way, a way that will at least temporarily break how Google is successfully parsing meaning from what iOS Phones are sending. Google could then do the same the other direction. Hopefully, the war won't happen but instead some stable richness interoperability will result. Samsung needs to also follow with their Samsung Messages App.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I can still only react with the seven preset emojis. Does anyone have the feature that enables reacting with any available emoji? If so, are you on either the beta OS or beta Messages app, or both?

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I can still only react with the seven preset emojis. Does anyone have the feature that enables reacting with any available emoji? If so, are you on either the beta OS or beta Messages app, or both?
Yes, at the end of preset emoji there is a button that takes you to a full list of emojis.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, at the end of preset emoji there is a button that takes you to a full list of emojis.

Pixel 7 Pro here, OS & all apps updated, but I'm not seeing any other button - this is what I get after long pressing on a text to which I want to add a reaction:

Screenshot 2022-12-14 091831.png

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
This is what I have. Notice the last icon on the right.
a0fa7fa9198e68e84de2a175597a8810.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37