S22 ultra to pixel 7 pro

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Thinking of trading my s22 ultra for the 7pro they will give me 900 for my s22 so the pro will only cost me the tax of 58 dollars. Looking for people that did the same and how do you feel between the two devices.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have both at the moment ... Suppose to send Google S22 Ultra as part of the trade in but still on the fence. There are things I love about both devices and there are things that each device does better than the other, so it's a very difficult decision LOL

If you find yourself using a lot of the Samsung features such as edge panels, pop-up windows, the s pen, DEX, etc. and if you enjoy the built-in customization Samsung's offers you are more than likely miss those when you move to the Pixel. The Pixel excels at voice dictation, has great call screen features and the hold for me feature is incredible.

I personally prefer the way the pixel feels in hand, it's just more comfortable for me to hold compared to the S22 Ultra. Both screens are bright and vibrant, but the edge would obviously go to Samsung, but that's not to say the pixel has a bad display by any means. I have polarized prescription sunglasses and have no problems with either screen in the sunlight. I'm only a few days in on the pixel so can't really comment on battery life but it appears to be on par with my S22 Ultra, if not a touch better.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask away and I'll try my best to answer for you.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I agree with the feeling in hand the P7P is better in hand ..both cameras are good .... customization on a Pixel sucks but call screening and voice dictation makes up for the missed Samsung stuff ..I traded the S22U for the Flip 4 so nice to still have some thing Samsung.. screen on pixel has a different feel some peeps don't like compared to Ultra and Samsung phones .. I suggest heading to nearby store for the in person Pixel feeling ...

BrwnSuga3

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I have both, my S22 Ultra is in hibernation right now lol. I do enjoy the camera on the S22 Ultra but nothing compares to the camera on the 7Pro, I always end up taking any major event pictures with it because they come out phenomenal.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
How do the cameras compare? Do you feel the build quality is the same ?

Camera = advantage Pixel ... For the simple fact you can just point, shot and 9.5 times out 10 it's going to be a great shot. Pixel gets the edge ESPECIALLY if you have young children that don't like to sit still. Samsung struggles with the slightest of movement.

Build I'd say slight edge S22U. Google is doing something different with the screens where it has this hollow-like feel to it. I don't mind it so much but for some people it can be a turn off and make it feel "cheap". The aluminum on the 7 Pro Snow camera bar does look as of it'll get lots of scratches. Another thing is that the screen on the pixel feels a little bit more "sticky" then this S22U ... Kind of hard to explain, but my fingers feel like the move more smoothly across the screen of the S22U then compared to the 7 Pro ... guess it has to do with the oleophobic coating.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Camera = advantage Pixel ... For the simple fact you can just point, shot and 9.5 times out 10 it's going to be a great shot. Pixel gets the edge ESPECIALLY if you have young children that don't like to sit still. Samsung struggles with the slightest of movement.

Build I'd say slight edge S22U. Google is doing something different with the screens where it has this hollow-like feel to it. I don't mind it so much but for some people it can be a turn off and make it feel "cheap". The aluminum on the 7 Pro Snow camera bar does look as of it'll get lots of scratches. Another thing is that the screen on the pixel feels a little bit more "sticky" then this S22U ... Kind of hard to explain, but my fingers feel like the move more smoothly across the screen of the S22U then compared to the 7 Pro ... guess it has to do with the oleophobic coating.

Definitely agree, the hollow screen turns people off and it just feels different. Kind of reminds me of the LG phones and their displays.. I put a film protector on it to keep micro scratches off so I really don't think of the screen too much otherwise, but I'm okay with it once you start using it daily but if you are switching phones regularly, you can feel the difference between the different brand

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Great comparison between the two. I have the S22+ and would love to see someone compare this to the regular Pixel 7 as I'm not a fan of tall and narrow curved edge screens.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have both at the moment ... Suppose to send Google S22 Ultra as part of the trade in but still on the fence. There are things I love about both devices and there are things that each device does better than the other, so it's a very difficult decision LOL

If you find yourself using a lot of the Samsung features such as edge panels, pop-up windows, the s pen, DEX, etc. and if you enjoy the built-in customization Samsung's offers you are more than likely miss those when you move to the Pixel. The Pixel excels at voice dictation, has great call screen features and the hold for me feature is incredible.

I personally prefer the way the pixel feels in hand, it's just more comfortable for me to hold compared to the S22 Ultra. Both screens are bright and vibrant, but the edge would obviously go to Samsung, but that's not to say the pixel has a bad display by any means. I have polarized prescription sunglasses and have no problems with either screen in the sunlight. I'm only a few days in on the pixel so can't really comment on battery life but it appears to be on par with my S22 Ultra, if not a touch better.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask away and I'll try my best to answer for you.

I agree with the feeling in hand the P7P is better in hand ..both cameras are good .... customization on a Pixel sucks but call screening and voice dictation makes up for the missed Samsung stuff ..I traded the S22U for the Flip 4 so nice to still have some thing Samsung.. screen on pixel has a different feel some peeps don't like compared to Ultra and Samsung phones .. I suggest heading to nearby store for the in person Pixel feeling ...
Voice dictation on another level

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all of your responses it will help with my decision plus the Google store has a $900 trade in which might seal the deal.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
$900! Nice! They only offered me $725 for my 512GB White S22U...

It's up to 900 on their website.
f3907d8550aa8ca098b83bba19057bd6.jpg

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Are you happy with your choice coming from the s22 ultra? Do you miss anything from the s22?

I miss a lot, if I'm being honest. I use DEX quite a bit, edge panel with preset split screen apps set up, pop-up apps (or whatever it's called where you have a mini floating app), I'm not a huge S Pen user but it's nice to have for those times you need to be precise or sign documents.
Then there's some of the cool customization Samsung's offer - can tweak AOD, edge lighting notifications, etc. Are these a necessity? Absolutely not, but fun to have and change up every now and then to get a new look/feel.

BUT ... I love the handy features the Pixel offers. As mentioned, voice to text dictation is insanely accurate and some I use often. Call screening is great, hold for me is awesome, being able to say "answer" when the phone is ringing is great. And the camera is phenomenal with some nice features like long exposure and action pan.

So, long post even longer ... I need a hybrid Galaxy-Pixel LOL

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I miss a lot, if I'm being honest. I use DEX quite a bit, edge panel with preset split screen apps set up, pop-up apps (or whatever it's called where you have a mini floating app), I'm not a huge S Pen user but it's nice to have for those times you need to be precise or sign documents.
Then there's some of the cool customization Samsung's offer - can tweak AOD, edge lighting notifications, etc. Are these a necessity? Absolutely not, but fun to have and change up every now and then to get a new look/feel.

BUT ... I love the handy features the Pixel offers. As mentioned, voice to text dictation is insanely accurate and some I use often. Call screening is great, hold for me is awesome, being able to say "answer" when the phone is ringing is great. And the camera is phenomenal with some nice features like long exposure and action pan.

So, long post even longer ... I need a hybrid Galaxy-Pixel LOL

I'm right there with you. Samsung gives you so many things to play around with and once you start to use them, it becomes harder to leave Samsung. I tried a Pixel 4xl and got bored and wanted more so I switched to Samsung with the S9, S21 Ultra and now the S22+, Tab S8, Galaxy watch 5 and Buds 2.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
My biggest problem is having to pay off the phone before I trade it in. Which is why I have always chosen to sell my last two phones on Swappa. Then using that money to pay it off. I have always been able to sell it for right around the payoff on it. This year I financed my S22+ for 36 months so the payoff is a bit higher than it would have been had I financed for 24 months.

I have been happy with this phone apart from running the Beta on it. The camera has been laggy from the last two Beta updates. I'm hoping the official release of One UI 5.0 will fix it. Low light photos on this sucks.

Right now Best Buy is offering the most for my +. $670 compared to Google at $620. Makes it enticing for sure. I'd do it if I thought I could sell it for this amount on Swappa.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
In the middle of the day they just lowered the trade in price to $850. Not really trusting Google anymore I can see the change in the morning but not in the middle of the day.