My Pixel has been freezing up lately

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My P7P has now frozen up three times in three days, over different apps, doesn't seem to matter. Prior to these freezes, no problems. The screen stays on with whatever I was doing but no response to touch. I wait a bit but eventually hold down the power and volume up to shut it off. Restart and everything is back to normal.

Curious...Just me?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I had a freeze happen once I think it was pixel launche crashed but never happened again not sure a update fixed it because it happen one time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen that yet. Are you completely up to date, both with monthly security updates and Google Play System updates?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, that's curious. Does this only happen with similar apps, like social media ones? Or are they entirely different apps?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen that yet. Are you completely up to date, both with monthly security updates and Google Play System updates?

I have the November 5th update installed. I actively check for updates daily and install whatever comes up.

I guess good to see it isn't a widespread problem.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, that's curious. Does this only happen with similar apps, like social media ones? Or are they entirely different apps?

Good question. I remember two of them. Discover feed, just swiping through it. Ring security app, also swiping through all those annoying advertising panels. So, there is a little similarity in terms of swiping through panels of information.

It's a new day, let's see if I get one today. I'll pay attention to all of the variables.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
OK you have the November 5th update...but what about the Google System Play update? It is a separate update that you can scan for in a different area within the system. I know it's stupid for them to be separate but they are.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
OK you have the November 5th update...but what about the Google System Play update? It is a separate update that you can scan for in a different area within the system. I know it's stupid for them to be separate but they are.

Google Play System Update ... It's October 1st. Is that the latest?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the November 5th update installed. I actively check for updates daily and install whatever comes up.

I guess good to see it isn't a widespread problem.

You're referring to the monthly security patch, I presume. What about the Google Play system update? Mine is still on Oct 1, but that can update and still remain on the same date sometimes.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
You're referring to the monthly security patch, I presume. What about the Google Play system update? Mine is still on Oct 1, but that can update and still remain on the same date sometimes.

I have the Nov security patch (the big monthly Google installment).

My Google Play System update is the same as yours, Oct. 1st. I did a check for updates, nothing.

On the good news front, no crashing (yet) today.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site

I had a Play system update a few days ago, but it still remains Oct 1.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Brrrr, it's cold, or at least my Pixel 7P has decided so once again. It's frozen three times in the past week requiring a hard shutdown and reboot. One time, it did say the app was not responding and offered to close it, it did, then I rebooted normally just in case. The other two times, different apps. The latest was the 2FA app I use with a bank. Just froze on the startup screen. Screen non-responsive.

Could this be my launcher (Action Launcher) all of a sudden? As someone always says in this situation - I haven't changed anything. Maybe wait for Jan update?

Google Play System is now at Nov 1st.

I can't imagine booting to safe mode and waiting a few days, adding a few apps, waiting, etc.... :(

I know this is a tough troubleshoot but I thought I'd post in case someone has another thought.

Thanks!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Brrrr, it's cold, or at least my Pixel 7P has decided so once again. It's frozen three times in the past week requiring a hard shutdown and reboot. One time, it did say the app was not responding and offered to close it, it did, then I rebooted normally just in case. The other two times, different apps. The latest was the 2FA app I use with a bank. Just froze on the startup screen. Screen non-responsive.

Could this be my launcher (Action Launcher) all of a sudden? As someone always says in this situation - I haven't changed anything. Maybe wait for Jan update?

Google Play System is now at Nov 1st.

I can't imagine booting to safe mode and waiting a few days, adding a few apps, waiting, etc.... :(

I know this is a tough troubleshoot but I thought I'd post in case someone has another thought.

Thanks!

I'd say it's certainly worth a try switching to the default launcher for a bit, can't hurt. Have you tried clearing the cache partition?

But as I said last month, Pixels gonna do Pixel things.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd say to uninstall Action Launcher for a week and see what happens. Or try a different launcher (no problems with Nova here) for a week.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd say it's certainly worth a try switching to the default launcher for a bit, can't hurt. Have you tried clearing the cache partition?

But as I said last month, Pixels gonna do Pixel things.

Bad Pixel, bad.

I did not think of clearing the cache. I'll have to look up how to boot into that mode. Haven't done it in ages.

I'd say to uninstall Action Launcher for a week and see what happens. Or try a different launcher (no problems with Nova here) for a week.

I am going to switch to the Pixel launcher as a baseline. Really not a fan but I've never used it for more than a day. If all is good next week, I'll go to Nova.

Another weird behavior has developed as well. When I swipe up from the bottom to go back home, the window swipes up normally and then flashes a full view of what I just swiped away before going to the home screen. Will see if this goes away too.

Let the experiment begin!