Pixel 7 camera lens exploded 10 days after purchase?

MaestroC

Nov 16, 2022
Visit site
I bought a new Pixel 7 (not Pro) 12 days ago. Today I take it out of my pocket (nothing in pocket other than the phone- keys are always in the other one) and found that the plastic/glass lens cover over the camera was shattered. No other damage, scratches, dents, etc. Honestly it looked like the glass was pointing outward more than inward, but regardless it is broken. The camera works fine as far as I can tell, it is only the plastic lens covering that is broken.

I am 100% sure it did not fall or get struck in any way but I am sure they will say it is user damage so I am guessing no free replacement. I'm really pissed to say the least since this is my first ever android phone after being an iphone guy for over a decade yet it breaks within two weeks when I've dropped my old iphones dozens of times and never had as a much as a shattered screen.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Even the repair shops don't know how to fix it because the phone is so new. I considered returning it since i am within the return period but I don't know what they would do if I returned a phone with a broken lens cover. Is that even an option?

Thoughts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, I can't imagine this would be covered by warranty, nor be eligible for return, since it would be considered accidental damage. This is why I always get some kind of insurance (whether it's Google Preferred Care or some similar option, like my current Best Buy Total Tech plan), since insurance does cover accidental damage. It's the same idea as with Apple, where almost everyone I know gets Apple Care (which I had to use recently, since my daughter's Macbook Air screen mysteriously cracked for no clear reason).

MaestroC

Nov 16, 2022
Visit site
I don't recall every being asked to buy insurance. Is this something like apple care where it can be added after the fact up until a certain point?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall every being asked to buy insurance. Is this something like apple care where it can be added after the fact up until a certain point?

It depends on where you bought it. The Google Store will always offer Preferred Care during the purchase process. And many 3rd party retail stores will have some similar protection plan (like Best Buy, as I previously mentioned, or any of the major US carriers).

These kinds of plans can be purchased after you received the phone, but I'm almost certain they would require some kind of evaluation of the device before they approve it, so I think you'd be out of luck there too. Sorry!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely possible that this could happen due to a manufacturing defect, but trying to prove to google that it isn't accidental damage may be difficult.

Here in Kingdoms of United, if it's within the first half of your warranty the burden of proof is on the company to show that it is damage and not a defect, but I'm sure that isn't the same in States of United.

Either way, I'd get in touch with them. Be insistent this is not damage caused by you and is in fact a manufacturing defect. The worst that can happen is they won't accept that, and you'll be in the situation you are now, but with a repair quote.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought a new Pixel 7 (not Pro) 12 days ago. Today I take it out of my pocket (nothing in pocket other than the phone- keys are always in the other one) and found that the plastic/glass lens cover over the camera was shattered. No other damage, scratches, dents, etc. Honestly it looked like the glass was pointing outward more than inward, but regardless it is broken. The camera works fine as far as I can tell, it is only the plastic lens covering that is broken.

I am 100% sure it did not fall or get struck in any way but I am sure they will say it is user damage so I am guessing no free replacement. I'm really pissed to say the least since this is my first ever android phone after being an iphone guy for over a decade yet it breaks within two weeks when I've dropped my old iphones dozens of times and never had as a much as a shattered screen.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Even the repair shops don't know how to fix it because the phone is so new. I considered returning it since i am within the return period but I don't know what they would do if I returned a phone with a broken lens cover. Is that even an option?

Thoughts?

Sorry to hear this! From your description, I think it's unlikely that it would be considered to have been the result of a defect vs accidental damage. If it is just the lens cover, depending on how it is fitted (independently, or permanently affixed to a larger structural component) it may be that the cost to repair might not be that high.

How did you pay for your phone? If it was initially paid for in full by credit card, check your benefits - many cards offer some form of accidental damage/loss/theft coverage for a range of products for a period after purchase (for example, most Amex cards cover against accidental damage for the first 90 days, up to $1000).

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
When you slide the phone into your pocket is the back of the phone facing out away from your thigh? It is so easy to bang the back of the phone this way while it's in your pants pocket and you would not even necessarily notice it. It wouldn't take much to shatter the glass. I carry mine the same way and have noticed at times when I whacked the phone while in my pocket. I have been fortunate so far that nothing has cracked.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Perfect reason I always get insurance on my devices.
Plus I always use a case and camera lens protection. It sucks when your daily devices breaks and have to send it in for repair.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1