Not sure if Pro 7 is defective - Rattle when I gently move the phone

ZChalk

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
I feel there is something wrong with my phone but I'm not sure if it's one of those things I haven't noticed before and now 'actively' pay attention to it. I messaged google support and I received a mixed response, that it was normal to make a slight rattling noise due to the larger camera components it used to focus quickly. The other response was to take it in for warranty repair... but this is a new phone?

Could someone tell me when they record a video in a quiet room and pan up to the ceiling and pan down to the floor and back if they can hear the rattle, it sounds like "tik tok". I also hear the rattle when I flip the phone or bring it up to my ear.. nothing extreme like shaking it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SaN3MFuERnrPfsxc6

Thanks!

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I feel there is something wrong with my phone but I'm not sure if it's one of those things I haven't noticed before and now 'actively' pay attention to it. I messaged google support and I received a mixed response, that it was normal to make a slight rattling noise due to the larger camera components it used to focus quickly. The other response was to take it in for warranty repair... but this is a new phone?

Could someone tell me when they record a video in a quiet room and pan up to the ceiling and pan down to the floor and back if they can hear the rattle, it sounds like "tik tok". I also hear the rattle when I flip the phone or bring it up to my ear.. nothing extreme like shaking it.

Thanks!

I get the exact same thing - pretty sure what we're hearing is the OIS module

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
This is almost always the OIS mechanism. It's such a common problem for Samsung that they actually made a specific help page for it: www.samsung.com/latin_en/support/mobile-devices/do-you-hear-a-small-noise-from-inside-of-the-device-when-shaking-your-galaxy-phone/

I have a Pixel 7 Pro, and I definitely hear the rattle if I shake the phone gently. It's normal.
Same here, its the camera components... Had this on other phones too...

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Thanks!
Yeah that's normal. My 7 Pro rattles too when you gently shake it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
you can actually test if it's the OIS in the camera. Just activate the camera and do whatever you've been doing to get it to rattle... If the rattle is gone, it's the OIS.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
you can actually test if it's the OIS in the camera. Just activate the camera and do whatever you've been doing to get it to rattle... If the rattle is gone, it's the OIS.

It' actually still present as a barely audible 'tick' sound when the camera is actively recording and crosses a certain level of upwards and downwards tilt, as evidenced in the video linked in the initial post; I tested and was able to replicate the same. Still pretty sure it's the OIS, though.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It' actually still present as a barely audible 'tick' sound when the camera is actively recording and crosses a certain level of upwards and downwards tilt, as evidenced in the video linked in the initial post; I tested and was able to replicate the same. Still pretty sure it's the OIS, though.
Yeah same here usually in past just opening the camera app it would go away

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

That's interesting... does the Pixel have a version of single take, and does it do it with that active?

I'm wondering if google is only supplying power to the acttive camera module...

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting... does the Pixel have a version of single take, and does it do it with that active?

I'm wondering if google is only supplying power to the acttive camera module...

Not that I'm aware of. I did a follow-up test and found the click persists regardless of whether the video is captured via the normal, ultrawide, or telephoto lens, as well as both in portrait and landscape orientation.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Well my phone is a little bit different. Mine shakes rattles and rolls. Music in the background is playing right now guys and gals.,