Google VPN

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
Speed tests

I am one of the lucky ones and now have the Google VPN available to me on my Pixel 7 Pro. I have noted the following. If I run it then adguard does not function because adguard has to have its own VPN and conflicts with a Google VPN. Also you will notice the speed tests below. Using the Google VPN seriously degrades the speed on the pixel 7 Pro. Also, you will notice in the second picture that I'm now being served ads on the Google VPN.Screenshot_20221130-173438.jpgScreenshot_20221130-173655.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
It won't let me enable the VPN without signing up for a plan. I'll try again tomorrow as December is the official start date.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Speed tests

I am one of the lucky ones and now have the Google VPN available to me on my Pixel 7 Pro. I have noted the following. If I run it then adguard does not function because adguard has to have its own VPN and conflicts with a Google VPN. Also you will notice the speed tests below. Using the Google VPN seriously degrades the speed on the pixel 7 Pro. Also, you will notice in the second picture that I'm now being served ads on the Google VPN.View attachment 350155View attachment 350156

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

I have it but it won't let me sign up without a plan in place first. However, if your speed tests are indicative of what to expect then doesn't look like a good deal anyway. My best speed is around 40MB down on wifi, usually less and I'm on Verizon which sucks even worse. I can't afford to lose any more speed. I'd love to have your worst speed. Lol!!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Just got an update from the play store for google one and can now enable the VPN. Ran two speed tests. With VPN off speed is 42 MB's down. With VPN enabled speed is 35Mb's down. A definite difference.
I'll be trying it out for awhile but I'm afraid speeds will be even worse when internet prime usage time is going on. We'll see. And, on Verizons network without wifi handy it will be dreadful. I had Nord VPN several months ago for awhile in a trial period and it killed my speed on everything from my iPad, MacBook Pro and pixel 4A. Usually took forever to load anything yet sometimes was fine. So naturally couldn't use it. The inherent function of a VPN is going to cut speed to a certain extent, unavoidable. Those with faster internet might not even be noticeable.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
It won't let me enable the VPN without signing up for a plan. I'll try again tomorrow as December is the official start date.

For clarity - they said it would be part of the December feature drop, that does not necessarily mean it would start on December 1.

That said - I just checked and it's available for me now! As for speed - on my home internet connection (Spectrum 300 Mbps base service) I lose 200 Mbps of speed, from 368 Mbps to 168 Mbps. I won't be testing mobile speeds, I'm on the Fi Flexible plan so I pay for my data, but I can check on the guest wireless at work when I get there.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
For clarity - they said it would be part of the December feature drop, that does not necessarily mean it would start on December 1.

That said - I just checked and it's available for me now! As for speed - on my home internet connection (Spectrum 300 Mbps base service) I lose 200 Mbps of speed, from 368 Mbps to 168 Mbps. I won't be testing mobile speeds, I'm on the Fi Flexible plan so I pay for my data, but I can check on the guest wireless at work when I get there.

Wow, what you lose is huge. Just checked my home internet again and with VPN I’m getting about 36MBs. Without VPN I’m getting about 42 MBs . With Wi-Fi off and using Verizon’s LTE signal I’m getting about getting about 7MBs with VPN on. About 8MBs with VPN off so actually slightly better (barely) on Verizon with VPN off. So far I’ve noticed no buffering on videos and VPN seems pretty stable. So , so far the VPN doesn’t seem to have any real effect on my P7’s performance. Oh, and Verizon LTE really sucks in my town. No 5G yet either which will also probably suck anyway if their track record is any judge.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I just tested at work and realized where I may have made a mistake. I may not have used the same destination server when I tested at home, that would account for the major change in performance.

At work I'm getting 89 Mbps when off the Google One VPN and 94 when on. I'll need to re-test when I get home.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
There's no point to using VPN while on the cellular network, is there? I thought that was already encrypted. I can see a use for it on public WiFi for sure.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
A VPN would only be useful if you were constantly on public WiFi and sending and receiving sensitive documents or data. Sure you could use one all the time everywhere you go, but your speeds are going to be throttled.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I would definitely just turn it on when I'm on public Wi-Fi, although I hardly ever use it but if I needed to I think this would be the only time that I would actually turn it on..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34