Free VPN

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I've been seeing a lot of videos on YouTube that the free VPN for Pixel 7 and 7 Pro is out now. But I haven't seen it on my phone yet. Have any of you received it yet?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm still waiting. I'm wondering if it will arrive when the November or December Google Play System Update finally installs.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I’m using the Proton Free VPN, and I’m quite happy.

The question is “Do I trust Google enough to actually use their VPN?”

Still vacillating.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I got it after I received a google one update from the play store. Prior to that it would prompt me to buy a plan to get the VPN.

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I use the VPN already as part of the 2TB Google One Deal. So I don't think I Will see any benefit.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I’m using the Proton Free VPN, and I’m quite happy.

The question is “Do I trust Google enough to actually use their VPN?”

Still vacillating.

If you don't trust Google, you should probably get rid of your Pixel.

Yes they can see your traffic if you're using their VPN, but why wouldn't they be able to anyway if you're using their phone running their OS.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
If you don't trust Google, you should probably get rid of your Pixel.

Yes they can see your traffic if you're using their VPN, but why wouldn't they be able to anyway if you're using their phone running their OS.
Whether or not I trust Google has very little to do with whether I buy their phones.

It was my impression that the VPN traffic is encrypted before it leaves the phone, with keys which are only on the device. The clear text is at no time in Googles possession. If this is incorrect, please inform me and explain how they can read my traffic.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Whether or not I trust Google has very little to do with whether I buy their phones.

It was my impression that the VPN traffic is encrypted before it leaves the phone, with keys which are only on the device. The clear text is at no time in Googles possession. If this is incorrect, please inform me and explain how they can read my traffic.

At some point that encrypted communication needs to be decrypted. With Google's VPN, that happens at Google, then the communication is relayed to the destination. If Google doesn't decrypt it, they need to share the 'key' to unlock your communication with the destination.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

You do understand why I think the first part of your comment sounds a bit silly?

What Hallux said.

They have to be able to see your traffic in order to know where to send it, that's literrally how the web works lol.

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Aye, what about us that have been paying for it for years anyway?

Should be some sort of rebate for getting less for the Google 1 subscription.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app
I think we are S.O.L.

We got the benefit that we paid for. Expecting to retroactively get it for free is childish, Jealous and somewhat sad.

I may be wrong. Google just refunded money from Stadia which they didn't have to do. They closed down Stadia and a lot of people depended on it. Not really the same situation but who knows?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think we are S.O.L.

We got the benefit that we paid for. Expecting to retroactively get it for free is childish, Jealous and somewhat sad.

I may be wrong. Google just refunded money from Stadia which they didn't have to do. They closed down Stadia and a lot of people depended on it. Not really the same situation but who knows?

You're being a little harsh there on bosshogg... You've got to remember he's a Scotsman lol

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
You're being a little harsh there on bosshogg... You've got to remember he's a Scotsman lol
Good point! I Have some of that in my Ancestry DNA results too. Nothing wrong with being thrifty. You only get it if you ask for it and all that jazz...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy