FP sensor hit/miss

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I find the fingerprint sensor frequently takes several tries or doesn't work at all. On the other hand the face unlock works reliably well 99% of the time. The security of some sites I deal with lets me use a fingerprint but not face ID. I always thought the fingerprint sensor was a backup to the face ID. I wish the fingerprint was more reliable like on my 4A, it worked every time. I think it being on screen is the issue. Furthermore I wonder why the sites I deal with don't allow face ID or they don't see it on my device as an option. While on my iPhone 13 face ID works perfectly and they offer it. Same sites that don't offer it for my pixel 7.
I have several fingers registered and they all work reliably poorly. Anyone else having issues like this?
It seem to work better when the phone was newer
I think I'd prefer to use face unlock for all my apps and other security. I wish it would allow that.

Last edited:

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
The difference is in how face detection is achieved. In pixels it is by the front camera only.
Apple uses sensors, camera and an infrared dot projector. Makes it harder to fool I guess.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah , apples is superior for sure, no question about that. I find the pixels Face ID to work quite well tho. I just thought FP sensor was backup to Face ID. I have a password safe that uses Face ID on my iPhone but doesn’t offer it on the pixel. Scratching my head on that one. Would be ok except the FP sensor as I mentioned is not reliable a lot of the time., for me anyway. Used to wrk much better. Ive noticed over the past few months the reliability factor has gone down noticeably.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Moisten your finger before using it. Works every time.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Never use screen protectors. I’m probably just a bit to OCD to use a moistened finger, Lol. (Big smudge every time) I wish it would just default to face unlock. There should be a setting for that option.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Never use screen protectors. I’m probably just a bit to OCD to use a moistened finger, Lol. (Big smudge every time) I wish it would just default to face unlock. There should be a setting for that option.

Lol. It doesn't have to be dripping. Just a lick and a wipe on your jeans and your good to go.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
My pixel 7 fingerprint works pretty well. Still not samsung level obviously. But much better than the early days of the Pixel 6.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
No issues for me, works pretty reliably just like my P6. What's funny is my right index finger will not work with optical readers when I have to renew my ID Card. I always tell them, they make me try, then switch to a different finger. It's just too scarred and crooked from a few work accidents. But that finger works fine with the in screen readers on my Moto Z4, Pixel 6 and Pixel 7.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

livetovacation60

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
To be honest I've been a little disappointed in the FR sensor as well. I've deleted and registered new fingerprint scans many times. I'm hoping when winter is over it'll get a little better since my skin does tend to try up when it's cold. On the upside this is my first phone with facial recognition and it works great thus making the FR sensor less of an issue.

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
The Pixel 5 I had, had an incredible finger print reader. My P7 FP reader is no where close to the P5. It's actually dismal in comparison.

Reactions: Jx J

Jx J

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
The one in my Pixel 7 works about 50% of the time.
This is very poor.
My old non-google phone and tablets have sensors that work almost every time. I'm going to return the Pixel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2