"Certified" cables and chargers

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Starting this thread in the hopes of provide a central discussion/recommendation point for cables and chargers, based on 'concrete' information on such items as have been tested and thereby verified or condemned by Benson Leung, one of Google's engineers, as being compatible (or partially compatible) and, most importantly, SAFE to use with our Pixels.

Google Pixel Phone - Suggested Peripherals [Nathan + Benson]*

This spreadsheet details which items he has tested are fully spec compliant, as well as denoting which support USB 3.1 vs 2 protocols (e.g., you don't need to spend more money for a cable if it's strictly going to be used for charging, not data, so long as it meets the proper voltage protocol). I'm sure there are (and will be) many more that have not been tested, but given the number that failed I know I, personally, feel much more comfortable making my purchases based on a factually informed opinion.

Please note that there are two tabs - it opens by default to the "USB-C Cables" tab, but there is a second tab including his testing results of "USB-C Chargers."

There's an astonishing number of items commonly available on Amazon, etc, that would appear to be fine to use but either do not meet (and therefore do not perform to) spec, as well as some which could (or may even likey) actually damage your equipment...

*credit to dsignori's post in another thread for sourcing the spreadsheet

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Other good resources are Nathan K's and Benson's own Google+ pages which feature newer reviews and things like recall notices, in addition to Benson's reviewer profile on Amazon. I'd link them right now but it's a pain on my phone, shouldn't be hard to Google. Benson's Amazon profile also features a couple wishlists of recommended stuff.

I bought the Kanex and Black Squid Type C to Type C cables listed in the above linked spreadsheet by Nathan btw, seemed like the best compromise of speed/price/connector-size for the 3ft lengths I wanted, should be here soon. Got a couple Nekteck car chargers too and another OEM charger/cable from Google, amongst other things.

It's all still on the way save for the car chargers which just arrived today and the one OEM charger.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
FYI, for any who bought the Belkin 27W USB-C PD Car Charger (the one Google is selling on the Play Store) which was originally rated as a "+3" by Nathan, it had been subsequently downgraded to a "-2" or "-3" as it is in fact substantially non-compliant and can cause damage. I experienced issues myself with this in that, while it normally operated fine, when plugged in when the vehicle is powered off (and not providing current through the 12v outlet), the charger pulls power from the phone in an effort to charge the outlet - quickly draining the phone (nearly 1% per minute) and potentially blowing a fuse, etc, in the car.

Belkin has acknowledged the issue and offering a resolution while working on an updated model - though it seems no retailers, including Google, are ceasing to sell the non-compliant stock...

Review this post for details on how to get a refund, or exchange for safer - but lower powered and non-PD compliant - charger + $10 refund.

Also, they set up a Belkin Support: Notify Me page to notify you when the revised version that meets specification is released (expected in Spring '17).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy