Is anyone using a rugged/heavy duty case?

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I am, as I want this phone to be mint or very near mint condition in a year. I'm currently using the YOUMAKER rugged case, but I'm considering upgrade to OtterBox Defender. What are you suggestions, and what are you using?

Lisa Ann F

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I have used an Otterbox Defender on all my phones from the iPhone 3GS, 5, Droid Turbo and now my Pixel XL. I swear by this case as I listen to music while I make my way around NYC. All of my past phones have taken hard hits/drops and survived with no problem at all. And over the years I've been witness to the improved design of the Otterbox Defender. It's well worth the money.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a Spigen Tough armor, would you consider that rugged???

hmm... I'd say its probably just a hair of a step down from an actual rugged case, probably. But it's thicker than a TPU and is doing its job well!

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
My Pixel XL dress in Otter Box Defender, the same with my Samsung Galaxy S6. My wife iPhone 6 its the proof that Otter Box can take pain.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Only OtterBox Defender I used scuffed the back of my phone. Vowed to never use anything where rubber was not touching my phone.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Otterbox Defender for my XL. I always buy Defenders. I removed the terrible built in screen protector and replaced with the Yootech tempered glass screen protector. Perfect combo of protection and screen clarity once I removed the built in screen protector.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Otterbox Commuter case with glass screen protector... Great protection with an awesome clear and smooth screen that feels like... Glass!

I like the Commuter way better than the Defender because the hard shell is on the outside of the case rather than the inside like the Defender. This makes it way easier to get my phone in and out of my pocket... Whereas with the defender the stickier rubber is on the outside which makes it not slide as well in and out.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Otterbox Commuter case with glass screen protector... Great protection with an awesome clear and smooth screen that feels like... Glass!

I like the Commuter way better than the Defender because the hard shell is on the outside of the case rather than the inside like the Defender. This makes it way easier to get my phone in and out of my pocket... Whereas with the defender the stickier rubber is on the outside which makes it not slide as well in and out.

I'm the opposite and prefer Defender because the grippy rubber is on the outside. I don't keep my phone in my pocket. It makes sense for pocket users to pick the Commuter for sliding in and out of pockets.

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I got the defender before I got my phone. It really is a good and rugged case....but the holster snapped a few times so I can't clip it anymore.
I did get the Youmaker case and I am loving it. Gives protection. Screen protector is good. Thinner and lighter than the defender. For the price, a great case.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I am, as I want this phone to be mint or very near mint condition in a year. I'm currently using the YOUMAKER rugged case, but I'm considering upgrade to OtterBox Defender. What are you suggestions, and what are you using?

You'll definitely want something to protect against minor scuffs and scratches, but the degree of protection you require depends on how careful/reckless you are. I managed fine with just a skin and a screen protector on my Nexus 6, though am currently using Spigen RuggedArmor and a Yootech TG SP until the revised version of Rhinoshield's CrashGuard bumper and a good SP are released (the CrashGuard's drop protection as a slim bumper rivals the best of the rugged cases).

Naked. The Force will protect my phone.

I'd love to hope for the same, we all know there are two sides to The Force, and that dang dark side (gravity) is pretty persistent ;-)

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
UAG cases....sexy and rugged

I will be interested when they are available. I am using an Incipio Dual Pro now, and it is a great compromise of not adding too much bulk and good protection (or at least giving the feeling of good protection, I have not dropped mine yet, but I have used these cases on many phones, and never had an issue).