Firmware update for Pixel Buds 2.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It should provide mono sound instead of stereo. Basically the same sound in either bud. Possibly useful if you were sharing a bud so that you both heard the same sound.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It should provide mono sound instead of stereo. Basically the same sound in either bud. Possibly useful if you were sharing a bud so that you both heard the same sound.
Ah, okay got you. I've never seen that option before an accessibility. That's why I'm asking. Thank you so much!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ah, okay got you. I've never seen that option before an accessibility. That's why I'm asking. Thank you so much!
I'm not sure how it is intended for use in accessibility setting but the end result should be monaural sound. Possibly if someone has impaired hearing in one ear this way they will still get full sound in the good ear.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how it is intended for use in accessibility setting but the end result should be monaural sound. Possibly if someone has impaired hearing in one ear this way they will still get full sound in the good ear.
Got you got your cool thanks for the explanation I've never used that future before lol

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
There's another update available today, bringing it up to version 550, which is supposed to fix the connectivity issues we've been having, along with adding bass boost. You can also control volume separately on each bud, I'd your sharing with a friend. Still waiting for it to update on mine, but looking forward to testing it out.

The Verge: Google’s Pixel Buds get new transcribe mode, attention alerts, and sharing detection.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/20/...be-mode-bast-boost-sharing-detection-features

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
There's another update available today, bringing it up to version 550, which is supposed to fix the connectivity issues we've been having, along with adding bass boost. You can also control volume separately on each bud, I'd your sharing with a friend. Still waiting for it to update on mine, but looking forward to testing it out.

The Verge: Google’s Pixel Buds get new transcribe mode, attention alerts, and sharing detection.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/20/...be-mode-bast-boost-sharing-detection-features
Yep yep just got the email now from Google support regarding it. Looks awesome. My favorite feature is going to be able to check the battery levels with Google Assistant finally. Instead of having to go into your quick settings, press and hold on the Bluetooth icon, then go and click on the gear icon for your pixel buds. It's just too long of a step for just checking battery power to meet.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yep yep just got the email now from Google support regarding it. Looks awesome. My favorite feature is going to be able to check the battery levels with Google Assistant finally. Instead of having to go into your quick settings, press and hold on the Bluetooth icon, then go and click on the gear icon for your pixel buds. It's just too long of a step for just checking battery power to meet.
I'm going to enjoy trying out the Bass Boost, and hoping that the connectivity issues are finally fixed!

I had been subscribed to a thread on the Google support site. Someone from Google made the announcement, then turned off the thread to prevent additional comments. I sure hope this fixes these!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to enjoy trying out the Bass Boost, and hoping that the connectivity issues are finally fixed!

I had been subscribed to a thread on the Google support site. Someone from Google made the announcement, then turned off the thread to prevent additional comments. I sure hope this fixes these!
Hey, you and I were both in that same Google support the right! Yeah, if bass boosts actually works I'll have to test that out with Pandora. I mean I love YouTube music, but I'd rather not have to pay almost 10 bucks a month just for streaming music. Lol. I wonder if the bass boost setting within pixel buds will actually make listening to Pandora music more enjoyable? Lol there are some cool features that Google created that I'm excited to test out. I never had connectivity she was really with my buds, but any software improvements are welcomed!

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, I hope the connectivity issues were resolved. I do not see anywhere to turn on Bass Boost, though, so I think this got left out of the update. Pretty poor QC, if that's the case.

Currently online with Google for them to figure out out. I've already submitted feedback about it as well.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, I hope the connectivity issues were resolved. I do not see anywhere to turn on Bass Boost, though, so I think this got left out of the update. Pretty poor QC, if that's the case.

Currently online with Google for them to figure out out. I've already submitted feedback about it as well.
Well, I'm still waiting for the new update myself. I'll update you as to what I see when I get it.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Found an article (Droid Life, maybe?) That said you need an update to the Pixel Buds app. I'm still on 1.0.322536010, and am told you need 1.0.327368352). The contact sharing toggle is there, though, and that's a new feature. I'm still on hold with Google.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Found an article (Droid Life, maybe?) That said you need an update to the Pixel Buds app. I'm still on 1.0.322536010, and am told you need 1.0.327368352). The contact sharing toggle is there, though, and that's a new feature. I'm still on hold with Google.
interesting... I'm still trying to update to the new firmware right now. I'm sure Google will send us an update via the play store.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
And... Now Google Support says "the 550 update is not yet complete, that's why we can't use the Bass Boost." Huh?

No need to update the firmware, just wait for the Bass Boost to be available soon. Ok.....

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Wait what? So is the update available to download and install or not is my question...
Oh, it's available. I have it.
06fc319a74b85ba7b3d3f75daea85cd6.jpg

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
so you have all the new features then? I'm still trying to update mine. I keep on leaving my buds in my case to charge up and sync. Did you have to leave your case on the charger though?
I have the Contact Sharing toggle, and I can ask Google for battery level, and it'll tell me that for each bud.

Here's what I found in Google Support about getting the update.

Get firmware updates

When you pair your Google Pixel Buds with a Pixel phone using Android 10+, or an Android 6.0+ device with the Pixel Bud app installed, automatic updates are enabled by default.

Here's how it works:

When an update is available, it will be transferred to your earbuds the next time you use them with your Pixel or Android 6.0+ device. This takes about 10 minutes, and during this time you can continue using your Pixel Buds.

The update is then installed the next time you return your earbuds to the charging case. This also takes about 10 minutes.

Updates will only be installed if your earbuds and charging case have sufficient charge. If they're running low on power, plug them in.

It may take multiple attempts for the update to complete. For example, taking your earbuds out of the charging case while it’s being installed may pause the update. However, if any part of the process is interrupted, don’t worry—it will resume at the next opportunity.

(I didn't have to be charging the case.)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the Contact Sharing toggle, and I can ask Google for battery level, and it'll tell me that for each bud.

Here's what I found in Google Support about getting the update.

Get firmware updates

When you pair your Google Pixel Buds with a Pixel phone using Android 10+, or an Android 6.0+ device with the Pixel Bud app installed, automatic updates are enabled by default.

Here's how it works:

When an update is available, it will be transferred to your earbuds the next time you use them with your Pixel or Android 6.0+ device. This takes about 10 minutes, and during this time you can continue using your Pixel Buds.

The update is then installed the next time you return your earbuds to the charging case. This also takes about 10 minutes.

Updates will only be installed if your earbuds and charging case have sufficient charge. If they're running low on power, plug them in.

It may take multiple attempts for the update to complete. For example, taking your earbuds out of the charging case while it’s being installed may pause the update. However, if any part of the process is interrupted, don’t worry—it will resume at the next opportunity.

(I didn't have to be charging the case.)
Haha yep yep I read that on the Google support page as well. I have them in their 100% charge and they're Charging right now so I hope I get the update soon. So you don't have the bass boost yet then?