Fellow owners of the 6P, especially, but open to all: What, in your opinions, would warrant an upgra

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I've had the 6P for almost 6 months now, and I can't say I've had too many complaints. This, after going back and forth about whether a device with the SD 810 would even be worth it, given the terrible start it had. Although I've been pretty pleased with the 6P, I can't help but be curious about a potential HTC Nexus device running the SD 820 and Android N with all it will bring, in terms of speed and efficiency.

I'm excited as well about the possibility of BoomSound dual front speakers (a must, to me), given HTC's track record with audio. The M8 had the best sounding audio I've ever heard, imo, so if HTC can bring that aboard, I'd be ecstatic. I don't know how I feel about a decrease in screen size, since I'm used to the 5.7" screen on the 6P, but I suppose it'd be negligible, as long as Google reduced the bezels an increased the screen to body ratio.

I'm fine with a circular fingerprint scanner on the back, to accommodate front speakers. But another must for me to consider an upgrade is the battery. Ideally, I'd want a 4000 mAh + battery in my phone, but I know Google is stingy where that's concerned, in order to keep costs down. I'd be fine, then, with a battery in the neighborhood of 3600-3750 mAh.

I'm by no means a photographer, so the camera in the 6P is ok for my occasional point and shoot pics, but the camera should really have OIS this time around.

That's my wish list. What would make this year's Nexus a definite upgrade for everyone?

Posted via the 32 GB Aluminum Nexus 6P

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Has to have FPS on the rear like 6P, has to have two speakers on the front and no additional garbage on the front. All three physical buttons (volume and power) need to be on the right side. Must have USB C port that follows the standards so we don't have the HTC 10 muck up. That's pretty close to it for me.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Has to have FPS on the rear like 6P, has to have two speakers on the front and no additional garbage on the front. All three physical buttons (volume and power) need to be on the right side. Must have USB C port that follows the standards so we don't have the HTC 10 muck up. That's pretty close to it for me.

I agree with all you've said as well. I'd like to add that as far as the button placement goes, I think there should be a bit more separation between them. Move the Power button up slightly, while keeping the Volume buttons as they are. This way, there will be less confusion with muscle memory.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
For me it would be a replaceable battery, an SD card, a 64 bit CPU and at least 4GB of dedicated RAM (and about 128GB of ROM), Qualcom quick charge, a Qi receiver built in. I don't care about 1 or 2 speakers, but buttons on the front, please - I've gone through too many generations of phones with buttons on the front to change. Of course, not having an S-Pen would kind of kill the deal, unless Google has Samsung make a Note into a Nexus. Or just make it an Ara phone and I'll add/change what I need.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For me it would be a replaceable battery, an SD card, a 64 bit CPU and at least 4GB of dedicated RAM (and about 128GB of ROM), Qualcom quick charge, a Qi receiver built in. I don't care about 1 or 2 speakers, but buttons on the front, please - I've gone through too many generations of phones with buttons on the front to change. Of course, not having an S-Pen would kind of kill the deal, unless Google has Samsung make a Note into a Nexus. Or just make it an Ara phone and I'll add/change what I need.

That'd be an abomination to the Nexus world. It'd be destroying the physical design and a huge step backwards on too many feature philosophies. I'd become less interested in the battery was replaceable and/or if it had an SD card slot. Qualcomm quickcharge and USB C are not currently compatible and likely will never be - but the fast charging that USB C has is 98% as effective and safer for the battery - so IMO we're better off without Quick Charge. It sounds like your ideal phone is the Note 4 (other than the 64-bit processor and RAM). I'd be horrifically shocked if they went to any of that list :p

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd like a screen with better whites. This screen meets my minimum for it not looking gross but any iphone or decent LCD just looks so much crisper.

Wireless charging.

5" screen size. With premium specs to match the best.

They can leave the metal body, a well done plastic has never bothered me. Soft touch like the black Nexus 5 or blackberries of old would be great.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Am I alone in wishing the ZTE Axon 7 was a Nexus phone? I mean, dual front-facing stereo speakers with Dolby audio (two separate audio chips), a 5.5" AMOLED screen and a Samsung camera sensor? Note to Google: That's how you do front speakers with minimal bezels! All for a sub $500 price? Aside from not liking the front camera placement within the speaker, and a preference for a higher capacity battery, call me impressed.

Check out that sound: https://youtu.be/DFniFDbRPhk

https://youtu.be/anmqPsVYeN0

Last edited:

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Am I alone in wishing the ZTE Axon 7 was a Nexus phone? I mean, dual front-facing stereo speakers with Dolby audio (two separate audio chips), a 5.5" AMOLED screen and a Samsung camera sensor? Note to Google: That's how you do front speakers with minimal bezels! All for a sub $500 price? Aside from not liking the front camera placement within the speaker, and a preference for a higher capacity battery, call me impressed.

Check out that sound: https://youtu.be/DFniFDbRPhk

https://youtu.be/anmqPsVYeN0

Nope you're not. Slap a Nexus label on that and it's pretty much my perfect device.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Pity it's only a 5.5" display. For me, that boots it out of contention as a Nexus 6 or 6P replacement. When ZTE releases an Axon 7+, I'll start looking for reviews.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Pity it's only a 5.5" display. For me, that boots it out of contention as a Nexus 6 or 6P replacement. When ZTE releases an Axon 7+, I'll start looking for reviews.

I would normally agree with you, but the screen on the Axon 7 looks massive because of virtually no bezels. The sound on it is fantastic, too. If this was a Nexus phone, and it had the same capacity battery as my 6P, I'd sell my 6P right now, without question.

The only reasons I'm not jumping on it is because of the update frequency of stock Android, and the smaller battery. Otherwise, the camera is a Samsung ISOCELL with an f1.8 aperture lense with OIS and EIS, the screen is a WQHD panel, also from Samsung, just like on the 6P, and it also comes with Quick Charge 3.0, and dare I say it, a faster fingerprint sensor than the 6P (to me, from the looks of it). It's literally instant.

In hands on videos I've seen some of the things you can do on the Axon 7 include the ability to control media with your voice (saying "Play", Stop", "Volume up", Volume down", "Full volume", "Next song", etc. Also, you can hide the on screen navigation buttons by swiping down when not needed. I'm sure there's more. For a price of $450 when it comes to the U.S., you can't beat that. Forget the OnePlus 3. The Axon 7 is *the* flagship killer.

Edit: I've also seen a video where a rep from ZTE tries (unsuccessfully) to bend a sample shell of the Axon 7 phone. That is one premium device for the price, folks.

Last edited:

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

See, I found the Nexus 6 to be too large to use comfortably. I use my phone just enough, and holding that thing up to my head would get tiring on long calls, it was just very unwieldy. Also didn't pocket all that well.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
If you think the Axon 7 is the premium device of your dreams based upon marketing videos that you've seen, then by all means line up to buy one. But don't try to argue that a phone with a 5.7" display should be replaced with a model with a 5.5" display just because you think the 5.5" device has everything that you want in a phone that will fit comfortably in your pockets or in your hands. Buy the Axon 7, and leave the Nexus 6s and 6Ps of the world for those of us who want a phone with a minimum display size of 5.7".

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
But don't try to argue that a phone with a 5.7" display should be replaced with a model with a 5.5" display just because you think the 5.5" device has everything that you want in a phone that will fit comfortably in your pockets or in your hands.

Actually, that's exactly what I'm arguing. For me anyway. Others may have larger hands, larger pockets, or both.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
If you think the Axon 7 is the premium device of your dreams based upon marketing videos that you've seen, then by all means line up to buy one. But don't try to argue that a phone with a 5.7" display should be replaced with a model with a 5.5" display just because you think the 5.5" device has everything that you want in a phone that will fit comfortably in your pockets or in your hands. Buy the Axon 7, and leave the Nexus 6s and 6Ps of the world for those of us who want a phone with a minimum display size of 5.7".

This 100%

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Be nice if they had a large 6" and a "small" 5"-5.2" screens with the same internals and premium external. Like Sony manage to do with their mini series.
Id like front facing speakers, although I think this will be dropped this year.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Be nice if they had a large 6" and a "small" 5"-5.2" screens with the same internals and premium external. Like Sony manage to do with their mini series.
Id like front facing speakers, although I think this will be dropped this year.

Why would front facing speakers be dropped?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I would like to see is power button and FPS to be one on the back and volume button on the back like the LG phones. It makes the sides stronger and also attaching phone tripod mount and VR hear easily without pressing the buttons.

Vibration motor could be stronger, DAC, IR sensor, 4000mah-4500mah (thicker device) and USB-c with USB3.1 specs is what I would consider an upgrade. SD810 has been done for me and I don't have any complaints about it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon