Will HTC offer this for sale as well?

kembry

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I am assuming HTC will offer Marlin and Sailfish for sale on their website, which makes this an amazing proposition. I'm also guessing they will offer PayPal financing and Uh Oh protection as well, which Google probably won't. From the sounds of it, these might be offered at Verizon, Google and HTC, but HTC might be the best deal. Thoughts?

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Where have your heard that HTC will offer it through their website? (I'm genuinely curious, not trying to say you're wrong). It looks like the 6P isn't offered to buy directly on Huawei's website, but rather links to Amazon. And the LG 5x isn't available on their website.

You don't think google will offer the Nexus protect plan this time? It's $89 for the 6p for 2 years accidental damage (+$79 deductible). Looks like the LG is 12 months.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Where have your heard that HTC will offer it through their website? (I'm genuinely curious, not trying to say you're wrong). It looks like the 6P isn't offered to buy directly on Huawei's website, but rather links to Amazon. And the LG 5x isn't available on their website.

You don't think google will offer the Nexus protect plan this time? It's $89 for the 6p for 2 years accidental damage (+$79 deductible). Looks like the LG is 12 months.

Motorola sold the Nexus 6 from their website.

kembry

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Actually Huawei did offer the 6P from their site because that's how I got mine. You're right, though, they now just have a link to Amazon. It was nice because I was able to finance the purchase through Affirm (linked directly from their site). Weird.

I'm sure Google will sell a $90 protection plan for 2 years, but one year for free sounds better to me.

I'm also guessing the price will be the same as last year...$649 for the 128gb version. I love Nexus time!

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Google is offering the $99 protection plan for 2 years when you order the phone. Or if you are on Project Fi, you can add device protection for $5 per month (which is what I intend to do)

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
No. HTC will not sell this phone. Google already said during the release conference where the phone would be available and HTC wasn't one of the places.
Even if Google hadn't said that, why would HTC sell this? It's not their phone, it's Google's. This isn't a Nexus, don't expect a Nexus type relationship with the company who's only function is to assemble the components

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
HTC is just the factory manufacturing the phones. They're playing the same role as Foxconn does for iPhones

People are really having a hard time understanding this.. I've read plenty of complaints, tantrums and negative remarks about this topic.. In my mind it's not really that hard to understand.. HTC is simply Google's Foxconn..

No one attacks Apple or calls it the Foxconn iPhone.. Man oh man do people really hate Google this much? Do they really hate this phone this much? Or are they just looking for and wanting something to complain about?

I dunno.. I can't wait to get the Pixel in my grubby paws!

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
People are really having a hard time understanding this.. I've read plenty of complaints, tantrums and negative remarks about this topic.. In my mind it's not really that hard to understand.. HTC is simply Google's Foxconn..

No one attacks Apple or calls it the Foxconn iPhone.. Man oh man do people really hate Google this much? Do they really hate this phone this much? Or are they just looking for and wanting something to complain about?

I dunno.. I can't wait to get the Pixel in my grubby paws!
They don't want to understand. They want their precious Nexus and refuse to let go of it and accept that is done.

kembry

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, HTC isn't offering this, which is a shame. I'm not sure what I think about the Pixel. I've ordered the Pixel XL 128gb. I'm not sure what I think about an iPhone price on an Android phone. I like that they're going after the premium market like they did with the Pixel Chromebook. But I also think the public (even if it's just enthusiasts) should have a mid-range phone (Nexus) with guaranteed timely security updates through Google (without jumping through carrier hoops). What Google is effectively doing is making security a premium product rather than table stakes for this platform.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
People can accept Google's vision, design, feature set and price OR they they move on to something else that meets their needs..

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
HTC isn't going to offer this on their site. It's a Google phone. The Huawei deal was different as was the Motorola one (Google owned Motorola)
you were right except the part where u said motorola sold nexus 6 on their website because google owned motorola.(or maybe i misunderstood)

nexus is an OEM hardware made by (HTC,LG,Huawei,Motorola) and they have total right to sell their device whenever they want wherever they want and how much ever they want. Google didnt have control over it. If a nexus was sold on amazon google made no money out of it.

so motorola sold nexus 6 on their site because they made nexus 6 and not because they were owned by google

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Really hope they do tho, atleast that increase the chance for me to get it officially at Malaysia :D

HTC will never sell this device unless google explicitly ask them to sell it. one of the reason they wouldnt ask is because of price.

HTC get a fixed price(much lower like about $250) for every pixel sold and rest of the money goes to Google no matter where they are sold.

This was not the case with nexus and hence the OEM was able to sell it anytime