Supposed Pixel phones pictured in white

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Epic fails? Let's see, a weaker phone than the iPhone or galaxy, yet same price. Verizon exclusive (not counting direct sales from Google). 2770 mAh battery on the Pixel. A home button??? In 2016? IP53 water resistance, in a world when phones are waterPROOF, yet costs the same. Mono, bottom firing speakers have returned. No more rooting? That's fun.

And............ that's the show.
The Snapdragon 821 would be the most powerful processor on an Android phone. Even if it got the 820, it would still be on par with every Android flagship in 2016.

A 2,770 mAh battery on a 5.2" 1080p phone would provide great battery life. My LG G2 had a 5.2" 1080p screen with a 3,000 mAh battery and my LG G2 averaged 7.5 hours of screen on time when it was new.

The most popular phones have home buttons. Most people prefer home buttons. It's odd to me that in 2016 people are still ok with the unsightly on-screen buttons that waste display space.

There is nothing wrong with IP53. Most modern phones can handle quite a bit of water with no real problems. Most phones have no rating whatsoever.

Mono speakers on the bottom aren't a big deal. My Note 5 has a mono speaker and it sounds fine.

Not sure why anyone would need to root a phone with stock Android on it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No, it isn't. The most popular phones have home buttons. I've heard reviewers complain when a fingerprint sensor on the front of a phone didn't also serve as a home button.
They do but that's not a reflection of what people want since those companies have never given a choice. As for the reviews, I agree. If you're going to have a FPS on the front, make it a home button too.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
They do but that's not a reflection of what people want since those companies have never given a choice. As for the reviews, I agree. If you're going to have a FPS on the front, make it a home button too.
It is a reflection of what consumers want because they vote with their dollars. This is literally the only place where I've ever heard anyone say they don't want a home button or physical buttons. It's bizarre.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
No, it isn't. The most popular phones have home buttons. I've heard reviewers complain when a fingerprint sensor on the front of a phone didn't also serve as a home button.

Just because someone buys one of the Galaxy phones or an iPhone doesn't necessarily mean they prefer all the features that phone offers. The most popular phones also don't have a removable battery. That doesn't mean everyone prefers having non removable battery.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It is a reflection of what consumers want because they vote with their dollars. This is literally the only place where I've ever heard anyone say they don't want a home button or physical buttons. It's bizarre.

Yeah I'm on the exact opposite of that. I only know two people who really want hardware on the front. Most of my friends don't care at all, they want other things like fast performance, good security, a great camera, etc.

But which way is better is not really my point, it's that we have no way of knowing what people actually want. The votes with their dollars argument falls apart though because that's one of many features of those two lines of phones and neither line has ever offered an option without those buttons, so there is no way to know which particular features or combination of features that consumers prefer. Most consumers honestly won't care at all but those that would if given the choice may not even realize that there is a choice to be had. The truth is there is no way to buy an iPhone without a home button and there's no way to buy a Note 7 without a home button ... and there is almost zero percent of consumers who would change their purchase decision based solely on one design feature, unless that feature is very specific and needed for functionality, like dual SIM, etc. This is an unresearched topic so there's no way to provide evidence to say which is preferred.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Count me among those who will never buy another phone with a physical home button. Seems backwards to me and something more prone to failure than the capacitive buttons. Also seems too iPhone-ish to me. I currently have a Droid Turbo with the 3 capacitive buttons among the very bottom. They are in the bottom bezel and take zero screen space. To me it is bizarre to want one. Why have touch buttons for back and for running programs then a physical button for just home? Never made sense to me. I guess that's why there are so many products out there so everyone can get what they want!

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The Snapdragon 821 would be the most powerful processor on an Android phone. Even if it got the 820, it would still be on par with every Android flagship in 2016.

A 2,770 mAh battery on a 5.2" 1080p phone would provide great battery life. My LG G2 had a 5.2" 1080p screen with a 3,000 mAh battery and my LG G2 averaged 7.5 hours of screen on time when it was new.

The most popular phones have home buttons. Most people prefer home buttons. It's odd to me that in 2016 people are still ok with the unsightly on-screen buttons that waste display space.

There is nothing wrong with IP53. Most modern phones can handle quite a bit of water with no real problems. Most phones have no rating whatsoever.

Mono speakers on the bottom aren't a big deal. My Note 5 has a mono speaker and it sounds fine.

Not sure why anyone would need to root a phone with stock Android on it.

Who cares if the most popular have buttons. The physical button is crap and a spot for failures. Ask Apple. That's why they finally got rid of it. A lot of people like Justin Beiber, do we agree with them?

7.5 hours of screen on time for a 3000mAh battery, uh, liar liar, pants are on fire. 2770 is full of fail. 3000 is the minium these days, ask Samsung, that's why it was increased after the disaster that was the GS6.

Most modern phones do well with IP53 eh? that would be why the biggest two are not IP67, and advertised as such eh?

Not sure why anyone would root an Android phone? Really? An ANDROID phone? You know, the platform that has staked a reputation for tinkering? I dunno, why would anyone do that?

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
No need to be rude..

I agree with most of what he said.. I can't comment on his LG battery life claim but I will take his word for it..

IP53 is fine, anything more is just spec war'ish.. I don't plan on going scuba diving with the phone so there is that...

Home button? I don't like them and prefer the onscreen ones.

Rooting? I love Android and have had every Nexus.. I have not bothered to root a phone in the last 3 or so years...

My .02

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would actually prefer not to have a physical front button. A sensor, I could live with, but a button, no. Samsung has far too much tied to the home button. When it breaks, a lot of things can't be done, like rebooting into recovery, a simulated battery pull, or a screenshot.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm on the exact opposite of that. I only know two people who really want hardware on the front. Most of my friends don't care at all, they want other things like fast performance, good security, a great camera, etc.

But which way is better is not really my point, it's that we have no way of knowing what people actually want. The votes with their dollars argument falls apart though because that's one of many features of those two lines of phones and neither line has ever offered an option without those buttons, so there is no way to know which particular features or combination of features that consumers prefer. Most consumers honestly won't care at all but those that would if given the choice may not even realize that there is a choice to be had. The truth is there is no way to buy an iPhone without a home button and there's no way to buy a Note 7 without a home button ... and there is almost zero percent of consumers who would change their purchase decision based solely on one design feature, unless that feature is very specific and needed for functionality, like dual SIM, etc. This is an unresearched topic so there's no way to provide evidence to say which is preferred.
Another reason the vote with dollars is skewed is how many people walk into a carrier store and buy what is on display.... chances being a Samsung.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I find the Pixel phones to kind of attractive and kind of hideous at the same time. I'll wait for the official photos to make a decision.

One thing I do like:

No rear camera hump. A flush lens is far less likely to be damage when it's not sticking out. It looks sleeker.

One thing I dislike:

I miss the panda style the nexus 5, 6, 5x, and even to some extent the nexus 6p have with the black front and white back (in the case of the 6p it's the light silver back)

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Who cares if the most popular have buttons. The physical button is crap and a spot for failures. Ask Apple. That's why they finally got rid of it. A lot of people like Justin Beiber, do we agree with them?

7.5 hours of screen on time for a 3000mAh battery, uh, liar liar, pants are on fire. 2770 is full of fail. 3000 is the minium these days, ask Samsung, that's why it was increased after the disaster that was the GS6.

Most modern phones do well with IP53 eh? that would be why the biggest two are not IP67, and advertised as such eh?

Not sure why anyone would root an Android phone? Really? An ANDROID phone? You know, the platform that has staked a reputation for tinkering? I dunno, why would anyone do that?
A spot for failure? Come on. Home button failures are so insanely rare. I'll take buttons on the device over losing screen real estate to ugly on-screen buttons and potentially burning buttons into my AMOLED screen. I don't like Justin Bieber, but he is obviously very popular.

I'm not lying about the LG G2 screen on time. 2770mAh should be perfectly fine with a 1080p screen.
LG G2 battery life test: long live the king
The Galaxy S6 display had a 2K resolution that uses more battery than a 1080p screen like the Pixel plus the S6 had a smaller 2550mAh battery than the Pixel does. The Moto Z Play has a 1080p screen and 3450mAh battery and people are reporting 8.5 - 10.5 hours of screen on time with it. The Pixel should get over 6 hours of screen on time.

The biggest two are IP68 and IP67, but you can easily find videos of phones with no rating that can be submerged in water for long periods of time with no rating at all. Also, there are two youtube videos of the HTC 10 (has an IP53 rating) submerged in water - one video is only for one minute in water and the other video shows two minutes in water. Both HTC 10s survive the tests.

I'm not sure what kind of tinkering you would need to root a phone for. Various launcher options provide all the customization options I could possibly want.

Last edited:

HeyItsChally

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to be able to scroll the screen with the fingerprint sensor. Use it like a track pad.

I remember someone patenting fingerprint detection through glass surfaces not too long ago (or not, memory may be leading me astray). That's something I'm hoping can be used with the large bezel. Gestures and secondary features would be an interesting feature for Google. Here's hoping that area is doing something worthwhile.

Johnny Dwyer

May 31, 2014
Visit site
As of right now I'm not overly excited about how they look, never really have been a fan of HTC at all so needless to say my disappointment there. I will give it an honest look on the unveiling

And you were never much of a HTC fan for what reasons? I'm assuming its because every device avaliable today was influenced by HTC one way or another! Why would you be a fan of the company that pushed the boundaries when they put a 8 megapixel camera in a phone, was way more advanced when they put a 720p screen in a device. Or how phones like the G5 and iphone7 plus are now using dual cameras, how all these devices are using there version of blinkfeed. Apple and Samsung trying to replicate there own Zoe. Wow no more cheap flagship phones, finally premium devices for that premium price. How dare HTC for pushing other Android supplier's to figure out how to make there phones operate fast and smooth. Every manufacturer out there copied from someone, but it all started from leaching off HTC.