Google’s upcoming Pixel XL won’t be the powerhouse phablet Android fans were hoping for

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Huge amount of "meh" from my end. I'm not expecting it to be much different than all the current gen devices with nearly identical specs.

9ersfan3

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
You might not want to take anything you read on BGR seriously. That Zach Epstein clown that wrote the article comes out with a few a week hating on Android in one way or another, and seems to like Apple quite a bit. A big part of what BGR does is troll Android with negative articles to get as many hits and reactions as they can from the geekarati.

Those benchmarks provided are also complete garbage. Nothing running even the 820 scores that low on Geekbench. And the XL is most likely gonna be packing the 821

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
You might not want to take anything you read on BGR seriously. That Zach Epstein clown that wrote the article comes out with a few a week hating on Android in one way or another, and seems to like Apple quite a bit. A big part of what BGR does is troll Android with negative articles to get as many hits and reactions as they can from the geekarati.

Those benchmarks provided are also complete garbage. Nothing running even the 820 scores that low on Geekbench. And the XL is most likely gonna be packing the 821
Appreciate the tip. Yeah it definitely surprised me how negitive the page was about the phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This year expectations need to be managed. If we're expecting something that makes the Note 7 look like cheese, it isn't happening. If we're expecting a polished and well rounded device from Google's new line intended to compete with the big cats, that might be true.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
This year expectations need to be managed. If we're expecting something that makes the Note 7 look like cheese, it isn't happening. If we're expecting a polished and well rounded device from Google's new line intended to compete with the big cats, that might be true.

Expectations should be managed if the supposed prices of +$649 aren't true. That's top tier money, so people should expect top tier performance. Every other company is held accountable and is scrutinized at that price point. if they come in below flagship prices then google can get cut some slack on performance and features. Google shouldn't get cut slack just because it's Google.

But I do take BGR with a huge helping of salt. BGR has a huge anti google bias.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Expectations should be managed if the supposed prices of +$649 aren't true. That's top tier money, so people should expect top tier performance. Every other company is held accountable and is scrutinized at that price point. if they come in below flagship prices then google can get cut some slack on performance and features. Google shouldn't get cut slack just because it's Google.

But I do take BGR with a huge helping of salt. BGR has a huge anti google bias.

Right, I'm expecting it to be on par with the other flagships of this year, not to knock them dead. For those that think it's going to be a superphone, it's not. It's going to be a normal phone at normal prices with its own user experience.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm expecting prices that slightly undercut what Samsung and Apple are charging for their flagships. Hardware should outshine what is used in the mid-range devices, but not Galaxy or iPhone. User experience both on the device and with support avenues should be outstanding.

What I want is a reliable device that can last into early to mid 2019 before I need to upgrade.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

goombah88

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Nexus phones have always benchmarked badly so I take it with a grain of salt.

What really counts isn't the numbers on paper, it's the user experience. It may score poorly yet perform buttery-smooth during real-world usage. In the end that's what will sell more phones to the masses.

ddorrjr

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I feel that no one should expect a device to exceed expectations much more than what is already on the market. Chip manufacturers only produce a new chip or two per year, so unless you design your own hardware, you are only as good as the newest chip-set available. Samsung and Snapple design their own and that is partly why I believe they are on top. With that said, I do like HTC, and I believe that they make quality phones. Optimistic, but I agree with the consensus that it will be made to compete with the current phones on the market.

goombah88

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I'll withhold judgement until Google officially announces it. Might have something we aren't expecting. I'm kind of excited about it. Hopefully when they make it official it will launch soon after. Also hoping I can get it from the Google store unlocked and bloat free. Really don't want to buy it from att if I can help it.

I'm in the same boat. I'm still rocking my LG G3 but I'm dying to upgrade; just been waiting for a phone I deem worthy of shelling out the cash. I really hope Google steps up their game and releases a flagship-worthy competitor so I can FINALLY upgrade.
*fingers crossed* Google...don't let me down!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm expecting prices that slightly undercut what Samsung and Apple are charging for their flagships. Hardware should outshine what is used in the mid-range devices, but not Galaxy or iPhone. User experience both on the device and with support avenues should be outstanding.

What I want is a reliable device that can last into early to mid 2019 before I need to upgrade.

That's what I'm looking at, too. I can see it be a little under those prices, but still very much in the premium territory. And I'm ok with that as long as it does offer premium quality and features and can last me a good solid year, year+.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Specs, schmecs. If in regular use, it's fast and fluid, the numbers won't matter.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I was skeptical of 6P at first but quickly changed my position after using it. I'm optimistic that the Pixel XL will impress as well after its out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze