What is the glass portion on the rear used for?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You're right of course. But the poster I replied too said metal phones did not have NFC. That is not correct as there are several metals phones that have NFC with the OnePlus 3 being just one of them.

Yes, you are definitely right there. It is just about placement.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I think it may just be styling, given that glass-backed phones are all the rave these days. Could be for improved reception (antenna) on a metal phone. Don't know. It would be nice if Google has a trick up their sleeve and there's some new innovative feature hidden in this area.

I saw a youtube vide with a mini review and the guy mentioned the glass in the back is where parts of the antenna are located and it supposed to provide better reception.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yet someone just commented that the opo3 has the NFC in the camera area....meaning it's not all metal... Is it?

Lol really kinda mincing words there aren't you?
I mean by your definition there are no metal phones. Then your original statement is pretty meaningless to be honest.

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
If the glass is for antenna hotness, why the band on the bottom of the phone?

Sorry, but it feels like a half-baked add-on for the sake of flair. You don't need to be upset by others not liking something you like, it's purely subjective.

If someone gives a legitimate reason for the glass (such as touch sensitive scrolling, better antennas, etc) then I'll just shrug and agree.

But I do know it's not for NFC compatibility.

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, but it feels like a half-baked add-on for the sake of flair. You don't need to be upset by others not liking something you like, it's purely subjective.

If someone gives a legitimate reason for the glass (such as touch sensitive scrolling, better antennas, etc) then I'll just shrug and agree.

The iPhone also has two bands. Rumor is that one is used for the primary cell antenna and the other is for the secondary cell antenna, GPS, Bluetooth, etc.

The same is true for the Nexus 6P. It has a plastic shield at the bottom and a glass panel at the top.

As I mentioned above, the glass panel allows more room so that the antennas aren't concentrated in a small area.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

They probably have antennas at the top and bottom so that they can get the best signal

dreamwever

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
I think it's just used to give the antenna ample reception and manybe just part of its look. I'm not liking it tho, it feels incomplete to have just partial if it glass. I'm guessing they choose to only do a part of it because glass is slippery compared to metal.

TroyBoy30

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
You're right of course. But the poster I replied too said metal phones did not have NFC. That is not correct as there are several metals phones that have NFC with the OnePlus 3 being just one of them.

If it's under the camera panel, which is not metal, it's not an all metal phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12