Is everyone not understanding the value in the Pixels pricing?

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
So quickly people look at the hardware and cry that it's not enough of an upgrade over "my phone". Skipping over the fact that this phone has the bleeding edge specs people beg for, there is so much money invested in the research and development into the software exclusive to the Pixels it's insane. The new AI system is more advanced than anything we've seen! This is not the basic "ok Google" that is on most phones. They also went above and beyond to create the BEST camera ever in a smartphone. Something everyone asks for. You're also getting unlimited FULL resolution storage in Google photos. Exclusive to the Pixels. You also will have up to the minute SECURITY updates. Another feature you ask for in a flagship.

And one other exclusive feature that most are forgetting that the general public will love. 24HR LIVE SUPPORT right on your phone. Non tech consumers will greatly value this. These things are not free folks!! These are the reasons you buy Pixels. Not just your basic hardware upgrade. The exclusive support for these devices is unmatched on Android.

Thank You....rant over :)

No water proofing, no wireless charging, no expandable storage. Doesn't sound like a very valuable flagship to me.

rsbenedict

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Wireless charging has been around since the Palm Pre but really hasn't caught on as a main feature. Usually you have to have glass or plastic phones for wireless to work. Most people shun plastic phones and I'd prefer NOT to have glass on the back as well. Too many cracks I've seen when I travel! If you know Google, you know they have never (or at least for the past few iterations of the Nexus brand) supported expandable storage. So I'm not sure what people were expecting with the Pixel. Would it be nice, yes. But Goolge, like Apple, prefer onboard storage. Water-proofing is the newest fad. I think of it like 3D a few years ago. I don't shower, swim, or use my phones around toilets, so it's not a must-have for me. It's a nice-to-have in the rare case I drop my phone into water. But in the years since I've had a smartphone (starting in 2005 with my Audiovox Windows CE phone), I have never dropped my phone in or near water, nor have I gotten it wet, so it's not a feature that will make or break a buying decision.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
No water proofing, no wireless charging, no expandable storage. Doesn't sound like a very valuable flagship to me.

Let's take a short hop across the multiverse to Earth 2.

On Earth 2, every flagship has for years been usable on virtually every network globally, had unlimited full resolution photo and video backup, guaranteed fast OS and monthly security updates, good AI, and completely lag free performance with no redundantly installed apps.

A new company comes along and produces a device similarly priced that (a) can only fully work on one or perhaps two of the four available national networks, (b) gives up the unlimited media backup in exchange for gaining on-board storage - with the caveat that media stored thereon is susceptible to loss through card failure or equipment loss, (c) doesn't guarantee timely updates - if any at all, (d) has a functional, but slightly less intelligent AI, (e) has occasional hiccups in performance, and (f) has redundant apps, but also adds (a) wireless charging - which is slower and will degrade the similarly sealed battery faster due to higher heat buildup during energy transfer, and (b) adds noticeably better waterproofing.

I'd bet pretty good money that people tapping away on their keyboards on Earth 2's AC forums are posting about how this newcomer doesn't sound like a very valuable flagship, though some would value those new features enough to give the new device a shot.

Sometimes it helps to take a step back to gain perspective.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
For me SD support is mandatory. A phone will not be considered without this.

Google Assistant - gimmick I'd use maybe one month if ever. "OK Google" is good enough for me.

If the phone is so revolutionary why would I need one button customer support? Is Goggle expecting problems?

In my experience, being the first to update makes you the test group. I'd much rather wait for you testers to iron out the bugs before I update my device.

It's boring. I should have started off with this.

edwin walke

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
My first up close look at Pixel/XL

Much rather have my Nexus 6P and Huawei Honor 8. The Pixels are nice but for my taste much too expensive for what you get.

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Let's take a short hop across the multiverse to Earth 2.

On Earth 2, every flagship has for years been usable on virtually every network globally, had unlimited full resolution photo and video backup, guaranteed fast OS and monthly security updates, good AI, and completely lag free performance with no redundantly installed apps.

A new company comes along and produces a device similarly priced that (a) can only fully work on one or perhaps two of the four available national networks, (b) gives up the unlimited media backup in exchange for gaining on-board storage - with the caveat that media stored thereon is susceptible to loss through card failure or equipment loss, (c) doesn't guarantee timely updates - if any at all, (d) has a functional, but slightly less intelligent AI, (e) has occasional hiccups in performance, and (f) has redundant apps, but also adds (a) wireless charging - which is slower and will degrade the similarly sealed battery faster due to higher heat buildup during energy transfer, and (b) adds noticeably better waterproofing.

I'd bet pretty good money that people tapping away on their keyboards on Earth 2's AC forums are posting about how this newcomer doesn't sound like a very valuable flagship, though some would value those new features enough to give the new device a shot.

Sometimes it helps to take a step back to gain perspective.

Or I just don't like the pixel.. Or can possibly justifying spending $1000 CAD on one. I don't see the value

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I think Google learned a lot from Apple and they're both SIMILAR and both focus on SOFTWARE. From what I'm hearing the Pixel is selling very well.

Think how long Apple took to make the iPhone WATER RESISTANCE. It's no surprise that the next will have WIRELESS CHARGING.

This is why everyone including myself was so critical and shocked with the Pixel's pricing because we're comparing to today's flagship and forget that after all this is Google first phone.

That's the problem too is that we're quick to judge again I'm guilty of it.

To understand what Google is doing you need to compare it to Apple. WHY PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET. I have no doubts that the Pixel 2 will be Water Resistance and/or have WIRELESS Charging.

I've taken back the criticism, took a while for me realize it.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Keeping it real for me is that my pixel is going back as the cost just isn't matching up with what you get. I don't care what google is thinking and no the software doesn't make up for the negative in other areas. This is yes there first phone, but the benchmarks for what they need to bring to the table is already out there infant of their eyes.

What they brought at the prices they are selling it for makes it not worth it IMO. Everyone talks about how long it took apple well this year they did what they needed to do and matched their competitors. Sorry google but you can't just give excuses, especially when the rest is doing it big boy style.

So 6 days from the end of my return window with project fi I have filed my return and dropping back down to the Nexus 5x and my iPhone 7 as my go to devices. If i'm going to pay flagship prices I might as well have something that will get more than 2 years OS updates and hardware wise keeps up with whats out there.

Sorry but IMO the value is not there for what they are charging.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I think Google learned a lot from Apple and they're both SIMILAR and both focus on SOFTWARE. From what I'm hearing the Pixel is selling very well.

Think how long Apple took to make the iPhone WATER RESISTANCE. It's no surprise that the next will have WIRELESS CHARGING.

This is why everyone including myself was so critical and shocked with the Pixel's pricing because we're comparing to today's flagship and forget that after all this is Google first phone.

That's the problem too is that we're quick to judge again I'm guilty of it.

To understand what Google is doing you need to compare it to Apple. WHY PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET. I have no doubts that the Pixel 2 will be Water Resistance and/or have WIRELESS Charging.

I've taken back the criticism, took a while for me realize it.

It is Google's first effort. And it's a good effort. Google still needs to clean up some software choices they have made. But in all they have had an excellent effort. They really need to focus on their selling points a little more. To tout the best camera on a smartphone is a lofty claim. So when there are issues with flare in the pictures that looks bad. When you compare the Pixel to other flagships and there are things missing that's a problem. Especially when you are charging the same prices. I think that the idea of the Pixel is perfect for me. That's what I wanted. But the execution wasn't quite there at least not yet.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So quickly people look at the hardware and cry that it's not enough of an upgrade over "my phone". Skipping over the fact that this phone has the bleeding edge specs people beg for, there is so much money invested in the research and development into the software exclusive to the Pixels it's insane. The new AI system is more advanced than anything we've seen! This is not the basic "ok Google" that is on most phones. They also went above and beyond to create the BEST camera ever in a smartphone. Something everyone asks for. You're also getting unlimited FULL resolution storage in Google photos. Exclusive to the Pixels. You also will have up to the minute SECURITY updates. Another feature you ask for in a flagship.

And one other exclusive feature that most are forgetting that the general public will love. 24HR LIVE SUPPORT right on your phone. Non tech consumers will greatly value this. These things are not free folks!! These are the reasons you buy Pixels. Not just your basic hardware upgrade. The exclusive support for these devices is unmatched on Android.

Thank You....rant over :)

But if you look and read about VIV, from the team that invented siri, you'll see that the galaxy S8 is going to be serious competition for pixel. Anyway you look at it, pixel is OVERPRICED.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
But if you look and read about VIV, from the team that invented siri, you'll see that the galaxy S8 is going to be serious competition for pixel. Anyway you look at it, pixel is OVERPRICED.

Vaporware is always better than what is on the market, then it is launched . . .

The fact that a team that invented an inferior assistant (Siri) is not reason to have confidence that their next effort will leapfrog Google. We'll see what Viv is like when she launches. I hope she is everything they promise and more, it will drive innovation forward, however, something that does not have a launch date does not have any influence on what the current generation of products should cost.

There are multiple good development teams working on AI and machine learning for this space. It will be a while before it shakes out and we know who the winners and losers are. Google is in a good position because of the data they have at their disposal and their ability to organize information.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I had wondered about the value before the keynote, but afterwards, it really does make sense. For everything you're getting, it's a better deal than an iPhone 7 and exactly like you said, they need to cover their R&D. Plus, the 24/7 support would be like paying for Apple Care. And compared to other Android phones, nothing comes close to offering all that, completely agreed.

A better deal than an iPhone 7? Come on. The Pixel is way overpriced, it's time to just admit it. Has nothing to do with if you like it and are willing to pay for it or not.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
A better deal than an iPhone 7? Come on. The Pixel is way overpriced, it's time to just admit it. Has nothing to do with if you like it and are willing to pay for it or not.
If the poster feels it the better deal for them, your telling them they're wrong doesn't mean they're not right, even if it's not a better deal for you.

Failure2Comply

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
What amazes me is that so many people are ready to drop just as much money on a less powerful iPhone and never blink an eye. The Pixel has screamer specs and as mentioned the camera is fantastic. Why is it that if Google has it's name on it the phone should be cheap?

guitarjamman

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I came from an iPhone 6s and payed more out of pocket than for my 128 GB black pixel. This phone is lightning quick and never stalls like the iPhone did.

The battery is not as good (pixel has battery leak while in standby where iPhone would hold true). If I went to bed with the iPhone at 65%, I would want up and it would be at 62%. The pixel tends to drop upwards of 8% overnight (8 hours) but the phone blows the iPhone out of the water with other aspects.

The camera on this thing is a beast. It is snappy and doesn't need to focus like the Apple, and the low light shots have zero noise, while the iPhone was very staticy.

Is it worth the price they are charging? Yup. Plain and simple, this phone is neck and neck with the Samsung s7 and any iPhone is have used.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
What amazes me is that so many people are ready to drop just as much money on a less powerful iPhone and never blink an eye. The Pixel has screamer specs and as mentioned the camera is fantastic. Why is it that if Google has it's name on it the phone should be cheap?

Are you sure it is much more powerful than an iPhone?

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

After 8 years of Flagship android devices, the Nexus 6P was the best device I had ever had to that point. I wanted to stay on the nexus line forever. When google nixed the nexus line, I was bummed. I was interested in the Pixel because it seemed to be the successor to the nexus 6P. However, the price point was horrible for what if brought to the table

If I am going to drop as much as they wanted, I'd rather spend $100 more and get a tried and true device - the iPhone 7 plus 256GB.

I jumped ship, and couldn't be happier. The iPhone 7 plus out performs every android device I've ever used. Super content.

May 3, 2015
Visit site

It will still be laggy *** TouchWiz...so it will not be as good. And Siri is complete garbage. Why should we believe viv will be better?

May 3, 2015
Visit site
After 8 years of Flagship android devices, the Nexus 6P was the best device I had ever had to that point. I wanted to stay on the nexus line forever. When google nixed the nexus line, I was bummed. I was interested in the Pixel because it seemed to be the successor to the nexus 6P. However, the price point was horrible for what if brought to the table

If I am going to drop as much as they wanted, I'd rather spend $100 more and get a tried and true device - the iPhone 7 plus 256GB.

I jumped ship, and couldn't be happier. The iPhone 7 plus out performs every android device I've ever used. Super content.

Then why are you here?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21