is the PIxel's AMOLED panel equal or better than what Samsung uses for its own S7 or Note 7?

the reason I'm asking is that I've seen the Samsung AMOLED panels that Samsung sells to other manufacturers. At the same size and viewed side-by-side, the ones on Samsung's own phones(S7 or Note 7) are clearly superior. It's pretty obvious that Samsung, like most Korean and Japanese manufacturers, reserve the higher-end parts for their own products.

There's no word on where Google or HTC sourced the AMOLED panels used on the Pixel and Pixel XL... guess I'll just have to wait until my pre-ordered Pixel XL is in my hands and compare it to my S7 and Note 7? How is Google's return policy on phones?
    10-04-2016 04:50 PM
    very good question. Does anyone make AMOLED other than samsung? I though that was an samsung specific product?
    10-04-2016 05:53 PM
    was wondering the same thing. HTC has traditionally used LCD panels in their devices, so this is new for them. Also, how is the brightness for outdoor visibility?
    10-04-2016 06:42 PM
    For that much money it better be a top end panel. If it was 400 I'd settle for a lower binned or older gen.

is the PIxel's AMOLED panel equal or better than what Samsung uses for its own S7 or Note 7?

the reason I'm asking is that I've seen the Samsung AMOLED panels that Samsung sells to other manufacturers. At the same size and viewed side-by-side, the ones on Samsung's own phones(S7 or Note 7) are clearly superior. It's pretty obvious that Samsung, like most Korean and Japanese manufacturers, reserve the higher-end parts for their own products.

There's no word on where Google or HTC sourced the AMOLED panels used on the Pixel and Pixel XL... guess I'll just have to wait until my pre-ordered Pixel XL is in my hands and compare it to my S7 and Note 7? How is Google's return policy on phones?
    10-04-2016 07:12 PM
    I thought I read that there's a good chance it's the same AMOLED screen as the HTC A9 since HTC built the Pixel? The A9 and M9 had different screens.
    10-04-2016 09:38 PM
    For that much money it better be a top end panel. If it was 400 I'd settle for a lower binned or older gen.
    its an amoled screen .. its in the tech spec

https://madeby.google.com/phone/specs/
    10-04-2016 09:43 PM
    I thought I read that there's a good chance it's the same AMOLED screen as the HTC A9 since HTC built the Pixel? The A9 and M9 had different screens.
    The A9 was actually the reason I started this thread. It has much worse AMOLED screen compared Samsung phones with the same size AMOLED screen.
    10-04-2016 10:08 PM
    We'll have to wait and see then. If it is at least on par with the S6, I'll be happy.
    10-04-2016 10:41 PM
    Typically samsung gives manufacturers last years amoled technology so if you liked the note 5s screen.... you may like the pixel xl' s screen...the other issue is that samsung doesn't let manufacturers know how to correctly calibrate their screens so it never competes well against samsung themselves
    10-04-2016 11:36 PM
    I think Samsung panels are better. But let not begin with assumptions. Let the phone be available first.
    10-04-2016 11:39 PM
    It could be a Samsung panel
    10-04-2016 11:44 PM
    very good question. Does anyone make AMOLED other than samsung? I though that was an samsung specific product?
    Good question. I think the Nexus One also has AMOLED display.
    10-04-2016 11:50 PM
    Typically samsung gives manufacturers last years amoled technology so if you liked the note 5s screen.... you may like the pixel xl' s screen...the other issue is that samsung doesn't let manufacturers know how to correctly calibrate their screens so it never competes well against samsung themselves
    Lets hope with the high end pricing that Google took the time to get calibration figured out. I feel like we are so used to compromises with phones from Google that we expect the worst. Really hope that there were no compromises with what is in the phone.
    10-04-2016 11:52 PM
    It doesn't have the resolution of the galaxy panels... So, of the bat it is not as good. 1080 should be good enough however.... Might make a difference with VR.
    10-05-2016 12:12 AM
    I wouldn't expect any AMOLED panel to match what Samsung puts on their phones. Having said that, impressions from the hands-on impressions videos I watched today said that the display is gorgeous.
    benjamminh likes this.
    10-05-2016 12:56 AM