Verizon Pixel Phone May Not Be Bootloader Unlockable

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Still a solid chance that neither version will be; hasn't been determined fully yet. Stock rooted is for sure out of the equation, but custom roms still might be possible if the bootloader is unlockable.

projektorboy

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
VZW has done this with their variants of Motorola phones. However they did not gimp the Galaxy Nexus in the bootloader aspect.

Locked bootloaders may be an intentional security measure on pre-release units to ensure that things stay safe. We won't know anything until someone buys a Pixel through VZW and reports back on bootloader unlockability.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is the biggest issue for me on whether to pickup the phone on Verizon. Hoping to get a definitive answer soon.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This is the biggest issue for me on whether to pickup the phone on Verizon. Hoping to get a definitive answer soon.

The Verizon one is definitely not unlockable. What we don't know is whether or not the Google Store version will be.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Why would I need an unlockable bootloader?
To remove the mountains of shovelware and bloatware that Verizon (and AT&T) load onto the phone that makes the phone run like a slug.

Google Pixel. Because we needed another $750 carrier-controlled phone with 8 months lag on software updates. Awesome!!

ClusterPuck

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I was under the impression this phone would not have anything VZW on it. I am trying to determine if I should pre-order from either google or vzw and would appreciate any comments on what if any differences there will be.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
The Verizon one is definitely not unlockable. What we don't know is whether or not the Google Store version will be.

what will people say if the Google Store version of Pixel
phone is also not unlockable?

Will androids surround Google headquarters with pitch
forks and torches?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1