Disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Bro I guess we'll agree to disagree because the Pixel is obviously overpriced. Pretty much everyone is saying it besides you. You are alone with this argument...
That's funny because I'm seeing more and more people who think the phone is worth the price and fewer saying its not

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
With this logic, every year the new iPhone or Samsung flagship should cost 200$ more than the previous generation. The Nexus had top specs when it came out. Compare the Pixel to all current flagships. Samsung, Apple, HTC, LG,Sony and Huawei, all offer devices at similar or much cheaper price point. What is the stand out feature of the Pixel when compared to an S7 or an iPhone? What is the stand out feature of the Pixel when compared to the HTC 10 or the OnePlus 3?
If you make the comparison you will see how unjustified its price is.
The Pixel is not better than all of the above devices. It is also an ugly phone (but this is just my opinion)
When considering this phone, I ask myself, what would I get from it, that I don't have with my current device. I also ask what I would lose.
In my case I lose much more than I benefit. Having to pay a premium for this is just not logical.
If you are coming from a two year old device, then ok, the Pixel will be a great upgrade. But this is the case with any current flagship.

The standout feature on the phone is free unlimited storage for photos and videos, a better camera than most of the competition with no camera hump, a better processor than the competition, a faster OS than the competition with better assistant features, better battery life than some of the competition, and it can connect to Project Fi. I would argue that it has more standout features than the HTC 10 does.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The standout feature on the phone is free unlimited storage for photos and videos, a better camera than most of the competition with no camera hump, a better processor than the competition, a faster OS than the competition with better assistant features, better battery life than some of the competition, and it can connect to Project Fi. I would argue that it has more standout features than the HTC 10 does.
Let's agree here that we disagree.
I believe that the HTC 10 is much much better than the Pixel. Each to its own I would say.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, the Note went from $720 to $864 from 2015 to 2016. The Moto X was $399 base (16GB) to the Z which is $699 unlocked or $624 Verizon. The iPhone 7+ is $869 up from $850. The HTC 10 was $699, the Moto Z Force is $770, the V20 is $830, etc. It's been a year where almost every OEM went up in price and almost all flagships are $699+ with varying options. This is the result of almost all carriers and most OEM's going into the business of selling phones on payment plans. They target a payment number, not an MSRP and that does allow them to get more because people seem not to care much about a difference of $3 or even $15 between devices. This is also beneficial because we start seeing higher storage options and more of the features we want because margins are built into the devices.

TLDR: Sucks for those of us that buy it outright, but 2016 was the year of prices going up across the board and flagship phones cost $700 or more.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Let's agree here that we disagree.
I believe that the HTC 10 is much much better than the Pixel. Each to its own I would say.

Hopefully we don't have to make another chart and everyone can just do a mental feature comparison and perhaps even remember back to the other day when this was also disproved in another thread. You can LIKE it better, but on all of the objective points that we can measure, it's just too far behind on too many aspects.

That or someone can get me a price check on the HTC 10 that has 128 GB internal storage, soft keys, rear FPS, the SD 821, Google Assistant, Android 7.1 (or even 7), seamless updates, a better camera than the HTC 10, is Day Dream ready, implemented USB C with Power Delivery correctly and/or any of the other things the Pixel has in advantage over the HTC 10.

Do we think it's still $699?

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
With this logic, every year the new iPhone or Samsung flagship should cost 200$ more than the previous generation. The Nexus had top specs when it came out. Compare the Pixel to all current flagships. Samsung, Apple, HTC, LG,Sony and Huawei, all offer devices at similar or much cheaper price point. What is the stand out feature of the Pixel when compared to an S7 or an iPhone? What is the stand out feature of the Pixel when compared to the HTC 10 or the OnePlus 3?
If you make the comparison you will see how unjustified its price is.
The Pixel is not better than all of the above devices. It is also an ugly phone (but this is just my opinion)
When considering this phone, I ask myself, what would I get from it, that I don't have with my current device. I also ask what I would lose.
In my case I lose much more than I benefit. Having to pay a premium for this is just not logical.
If you are coming from a two year old device, then ok, the Pixel will be a great upgrade. But this is the case with any current flagship.

EXACTLY

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully we don't have to make another chart and everyone can just do a mental feature comparison and perhaps even remember back to the other day when this was also disproved in another thread. You can LIKE it better, but on all of the objective points that we can measure, it's just too far behind on too many aspects.

That or someone can get me a price check on the HTC 10 that has 128 GB internal storage, soft keys, rear FPS, the SD 821, Google Assistant, Android 7.1 (or even 7), seamless updates, a better camera than the HTC 10, is Day Dream ready, implemented USB C with Power Delivery correctly and/or any of the other things the Pixel has in advantage over the HTC 10.

Do we think it's still $699?
Having soft keys is not an advantage for me but a disadvantage. So much wasted space at the bottom bezel...
Yes, nothing will beat the Pixel in the Android world when it comes to updates. (if you buy the unlocked version). If you buy the Verizon version then good luck to you.
Daydream is interesting but I am not into VR (yet). The Google Assistant is not important (yet).
All these features will be much more interesting in 1-2 years. By that time there will be a much better Pixel phone available.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
If Google sold the Pixel for $399 with a SD 820, 3GB of RAM and an average camera with no added features people would still be throwing tantrums..

It would be something like this:

1. ugh SD 820?
2. WTF with that camera?
3. no SD card slot? Pass
4. $399 for year old tech? Pass!
5. doze bezels tho! Pass!
6. Add 49 other complaints that would surface

If Google does not build a $800 smart phone and sell it for $49.95 then this is the reaction:

mob.gif

I've given up and will just sit back, read and laugh at most of the comments.... It's to the point of being comic releif while I wait for mine to ship.. :D

Last edited:

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I cannot speak about US prices , but here in Germany I wouldn't want to pay more than 700€ for a phone. The Pixel XL with 128GB is 1000€. I am sorry, but it is not worth it.

If I decided to get the Pixel, then it would be only the XL model. Since there is no 64GB option, I would have to go with the 128GB model. This costs 1007€ here in Germany. Selling my HTC 10 would bring me 400€ tops. The answer to the question if the Pixel xl is 600€ better than my HTC, is a clear no. Actually the HTC is the better phone.
If I compare the Pixel to my HTC 10, then I would have to see that the Pixel has a lower resolution AMOLED display (which sucks because of the viewing angles and Pixel density/placement), compared to the 2K LCD Display of my HTC.
I would have to ignore the fact that the sound quality will be worse, especially from the bottom firing speaker.
What would I get for my money? A good , solid phone that will always get updates in a timely manner. The Google Assistant is not something I consider, since I have it in Allo and since Google Now is actually doing more or less the same things. The Google storage is also not important to me.
Another problem is that the Pixel has a 5" display, compared to the 5,2" of my HTC 10. Add to that the space taken from the soft buttons and you have much less usable space compared to my device.
How can I ignore these facts and say yes to the Pixel? I see zero advantages and many disadvantages.
HTC will also deliver updates for the next two years, so I don't worry about that too..
Next year, when the Pixel 2 comes out, I will consider it.
I love Google and its great software, but I will pass on that.

Last edited:

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Just don't go "mid-evil" on us please...........:D

A lot of my post contain some off the cuff humor that many pass right on over :D

Most times I am not all that serious even though the typed word might look that way.. I won't go mid-evil.. Maybe, possibly... :p

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
A lot of my post contain some off the cuff humor that many pass right on over :D

Most times I am not all that serious even though the typed word might look that way.. I won't go mid-evil.. Maybe, possibly... :p

Just a heads up, if you don't like some of the comments here don't go to XDA, it's brutal over there............:eek:

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I browse XDA every so often but since I don't care about root or custom rom anymore I kinda quit going there.. Plus the crowd over there is much more rude and immature than they are here... I've seen a few devs who just flat out stop going to the place because of that.. XDA's loss because a few of the devs who stopped going were top notch!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I cannot speak about US prices , but here in Germany I wouldn't want to pay more than 700€ for a phone. The Pixel XL with 128GB is 1000€. I am sorry, but it is not worth it.

If I decided to get the Pixel, then it would be only the XL model. Since there is no 64GB option, I would have to go with the 128GB model. This costs 1007€ here in Germany. Selling my HTC 10 would bring me 400€ tops. The answer to the question if the Pixel xl is 600€ better than my HTC, is a clear no. Actually the HTC is the better phone.
If I compare the Pixel to my HTC 10, then I would have to see that the Pixel has a lower resolution AMOLED display (which sucks because of the viewing angles and Pixel density/placement), compared to the 2K LCD Display of my HTC.
I would have to ignore the fact that the sound quality will be worse, especially from the bottom firing speaker.
What would I get for my money? A good , solid phone that will always get updates in a timely manner. The Google Assistant is not something I consider, since I have it in Allo and since Google Now is actually doing more or less the same things. The Google storage is also not important to me.
Another problem is that the Pixel has a 5" display, compared to the 5,2" of my HTC 10. Add to that the space taken from the soft buttons and you have much less usable space compared to my device.
How can I ignore these facts and say yes to the Pixel? I see zero advantages and many disadvantages.
HTC will also deliver updates for the next two years, so I don't worry about that too..
Next year, when the Pixel 2 comes out, I will consider it.
I love Google and its great software, but I will pass on that.

I think almost any same-year "upgrade" option will run into many of these same value questions because the cycle doesn't seem meant for us to upgrade every 3-6 months. I think you're right that people who haven't upgraded in over a year will be more excited for the updates.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
We're always disappointed. Just last year we bashed the 6P for it's look, the glass visor on the back, it being built by Huawei, etc. Happens every year. Then we got the phone and all of a sudden it was great.

I expect the same here so I ordered one. I also want a smaller phone than my clumsy 6P.

I'm expecting the kind of HTC watch/jewelry like fit and finish that frankly the 6P doesn't have. I expect the speaker will be plenty loud and more than acceptable for voice. I am expecting the radios to be great! I am expecting it to work flawlessly with Android Wear and Auto like my 6P does.

I am hoping the battery life is comparable to the 6P. And that the screen is as bright.

I am curious to try out Assistant and Daydream.

Life is short, I want the new gadget... on Project Fi, it is about an extra lunch at Mcdonalds more a month.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Stop being snarky I watching the presentation in its entirety and watched Android Authority's use of it. Again not really needed... And its available on other phones anyway.

What other phones is it available on? I would be really interested in knowing that, and I'm sure Google would too since they haven't made it available for any other phones.
So again I'm gonna have to say you have no idea what Google Assistant really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.