I'm sorry to ask a stupid question (Google assistant)

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm really sorry to be so naive. But regarding these Pixel phones and the Google assistant.

Isn't the Google assistant just OK Google?
Like what I already have on my bar
Galaxy S5? The same assistant that I can say "ok Google" or just press the Google voice search icon? I just can't figure it out what makes this assistant different apart from being integrated on the bottom of the screen.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
From what I saw and what they said, it's similar but better. It takes the context of what you have been looking for and incorporates it into any answer it gives you. I could try and explain it but would do a horrible job. If you go to YouTube and type in "Google Assistant Demo Oct 4" you can watch the developers explain how it's different from what we currently have.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The Verge has a great write-up on the three places where Google Assistant will live.

Google Assistant will live in three places, each with different features - The Verge

Unfortunately, it seems like a bit of a miss considering Google Now (the current voice assistant) works exactly the same across all my devices (phone/tablet/watch). Not that I'm dying to do it, but shouldn't I be able to tell OK Google on my watch to turn on the lights without having another product in my living room (Google Home)?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
The biggest difference is the "machine learning" that the assistant has. If Google can implement it the way they are advertising, it truly will be a game changer. The assistant, and any devices connected to it, will learn your preferences and habits the more you use it. It will make your phone much more of a humanlike assistant that can anticipate your needs. We'll have to see if it lives up to the billing though.
By the way, that's not a stupid question at all. On the surface they do appear to be the same thing.