Verizon Version info from Google Rep...

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Google Rep came in today and was answering questions about the Pixel and Pixel XL

Q:Will the Verizon Version be any different from the one on the Google Store?

A:No, Just like last year's Nexus, The phone is unlocked and will work on all major carriers. Verizon exclusively sells the phone, that's the only difference.

Q:Bloatware?

A: None, Verizon users can download VZ cloud and other app from the Play store.

Q: Updates

Updates will bypass Verizon with how Nougat works. Everything is done in the background. NO Verizon approvals needed. Bootloader will be locked.

Q:Unlocked or Locked?

It is Unlocked out of the box, but has to be activated on a Verizon plan meaning Non Verizon customers can't walk in, buy and take it elsewhere. This is a Verizon policy, other Verizon phones can't be purchased without being put on a plan first. It is unlocked though. People should look to the Google store for other carriers.

Q: Branding?

A: None, the box will have Verizon on it, But the phone itself is identical to the Google Store one.

Hope this helps!

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I would assume that VZW VV, go90, and their billing app would be preloaded on carrier branded SKUs. Verizon considers that part of the experience, just like every other carrier.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My only concern is that it has to be activated on Verizon first. Just something to be aware of should you buy a pixel on Verizon to gift to someone.

ggendel

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My only concern is that it has to be activated on Verizon first. Just something to be aware of should you buy a pixel on Verizon to gift to someone.

I'm so done with Verizon. They really messed up the experience on several of my phones and their customer service is laughable (actually cry-able from the customer point of view).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm so done with Verizon. They really messed up the experience on several of my phones and their customer service is laughable (actually cry-able from the customer point of view).

Unfortunately Verizon still provides the best service by far where I need it . there are spots at my work where tmobile and att have no service but Verizon works. Also I am on a legacy Verizon plan which is significantly cheaper than the competition for my needs.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately Verizon still provides the best service by far where I need it . there are spots at my work where tmobile and att have no service but Verizon works. Also I am on a legacy Verizon plan which is significantly cheaper than the competition for my needs.

I've had complete dead zones on verizon where Fi was awesome. No service is perfect...but they are all basically the same.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had complete dead zones on verizon where Fi was awesome. No service is perfect...but they are all basically the same.

Um, no. I have run both VZW and AT&T (GoPhone) in identical places. There have been a few places where AT&T had better coverage than Verizon, but I had huge dead areas on AT&T where I had LTE on Verizon.

If Fi works for you, great.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It depends where you are. Since we're not all in the same place, we're all going to have different experiences. I travel a lot, and have had the most luck with Verizon, but there have been plenty of times where I'm on 1x while T-Mo, Sprint, or AT&T have a great data connection. However, for me, Verizon is more consistent in more places, but I know that won't be the same for everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18