10-18-2016 09:16 PM
39 12
tools
    Has anyone purchased/pre-ordered through Google with the payment plan? If so, what was the process like? What was the application process? Were you approved right away, or do you have to wait for approval?
    10-05-2016 11:10 PM
    A friend did it and the approval process is instantaneous and just part of the checkout process.
    10-05-2016 11:14 PM
    Google is using Synchrony Bank as their financer for this one. That bank provides most in-house financing for retailers, and they are very strict and aggressive on late payers. The results are instant when you order, but make sure you have a good plan to pay on time. I had some medical issues and missed a payment for another product last week. I told them to take the payment this Friday, but i'm still getting dialed. (sorry for the rant)
    10-05-2016 11:16 PM
    I did for the 32 gig xl. they ask for income, and approved me right away. I did read that someone didn't get instant approval, but didn't get denied either. just told him they will notify him later with a decision.
    10-06-2016 06:17 AM
    I financed as well. Like others have said, it was instantaneous. The interest rate fee is something like 29.99% though. Pretty dang high. I'm hoping to knock this out in like 4 months so hopefully I won't have to worry about the 24 month payment or late fees. Btw, 32GB XL with protection is what I got. With tax and everything >$900!!!!
    10-06-2016 08:40 AM
    I financed as well. Like others have said, it was instantaneous. The interest rate fee is something like 29.99% though. Pretty dang high. I'm hoping to knock this out in like 4 months so hopefully I won't have to worry about the 24 month payment or late fees. Btw, 32GB XL with protection is what I got. With tax and everything >$900!!!!
    That's ridiculous!!! Paid cash. I would never finance anything but my car.
    Robbie317 likes this.
    10-06-2016 09:22 AM
    Well, I just chose to go that route. I should have paid cash, but..... that's the American way I guess. I finance things when I need. House and car are the two biggest things of course. Not that I have bad credit scores, but it doesn't hurt to keep them high and a decent way to do that is to finance things from time to time. At least for me.
    ki11ak3nn and mountainman like this.
    10-06-2016 09:44 AM
    Maybe it's not for you, but I definitely wouldn't call it ridiculous. I believe it's 0% APR if you pay on time so essentially it's free money. You can invest the money elsewhere. As long as you're properly leveraged it's a wise financial decision. It's what rich people and good businesses do all the time.
    Scott Shrewsberry and libra89 like this.
    10-06-2016 10:02 AM
    That's after 24 months... Nothing ridiculous about it. Almost, every 0% finance offer will be like that. After the promotional period ends interest will be crazy high. Just set up automatic monthly payments to pay off within 22 months and you will be fine. I said 22 just to have buffer of 2 months before the financial offer term ends.
    10-06-2016 10:06 AM
    it's 0% interest for 24 months so that isn't THAT bad of a deal......
    10-06-2016 10:08 AM
    I charged the Pixel XL on my credit card. When the bill arrives, I'll pay it in full. That's just the way I use my credit cards. If I don't have the money set aside to pay the bill in full when it comes, I don't buy. I have excellent credit, and I don't have to sweat payments and/or interest rates.

That's just what works for me. Everyone has to do what works best for them.
    10-07-2016 03:26 PM
    I financed as well. Instant approval and phone is on pre-order status.
    stanleybb50 and Lilybell2 like this.
    10-07-2016 07:28 PM
    Maybe it's not for you, but I definitely wouldn't call it ridiculous. I believe it's 0% APR if you pay on time so essentially it's free money. You can invest the money elsewhere. As long as you're properly leveraged it's a wise financial decision. It's what rich people and good businesses do all the time.
    I was responding to 29% interest.
    10-07-2016 09:21 PM
    Don't they charge you automatically every month so you can't be late anyway?
    10-08-2016 03:15 AM
    Don't they charge you automatically every month so you can't be late anyway?
    Not unless you setup automatic payments on your synchrony account
    10-08-2016 03:18 AM
    Not unless you setup automatic payments on your synchrony account
    Yup - so don't forget to login and set it up!!!
    10-08-2016 03:41 AM
    Agree there but my main point was debt is not a bad thing if done right. Whether it's a loan or credit card. It's actually smart.
    10-08-2016 02:44 PM
    Agree there but my main point was debt is not a bad thing if done right. Whether it's a loan or credit card. It's actually smart.
    Yep, you're actually paying more for it by not financing, since it's 0% over 24 months. In theory you could be earning interest on the money you're not paying up front. Only reason not to finance is if you are concerned about your immediate credit rating (for opening a new account), or if you plan on being irresponsible and missing a monthly payment.
    10-08-2016 05:27 PM
    Sorry if this is a n00b question. But what is this Synchrony I keep seeing? Is that separate from Project Fi? When I ordered and opted for the financing, I just gave them my CC# and I am supposed to be billed on that monthly.
    10-08-2016 09:23 PM
    Synchrony is the name of the company that Google is using for financing. They're the company that does many store credit cards and consumer financing for things like electronics, furniture and such.
    10-10-2016 11:57 AM
    But it's only that if you're late or past 24 months...
    10-11-2016 01:04 AM
    But it's only that if you're late or past 24 months...
    The op didn't include that info. I was replying to what was said. I paid cash...so I couldn't care less.
    10-11-2016 08:26 AM
    Debt done right is a good thing. Even if you have the cash to buy something if they are willing to give you 0% interest for any period of time your cash could draw interest just sitting in a savings account (Granted $800 - 900 isn't going to make much in interest but even a few pennies over two years is more than you started with) Plus having the cash in the bank for when something actually goes wrong and you NEED that cash can be a difference. Anytime some will give me 0% interest I will take advantage of it and keep my cash in the bank. Just make sure you keep all your payments within your monthly income and your golden...

Not to mention building or maintaining a good credit score as well for potential purchases down the road where you actually NEED credit....
    Nate79 and gabbott like this.
    10-11-2016 01:51 PM
    Can someone confirm if the credit check is a soft or hard inquiry? I'm assuming the former just like if you went to a carrier no?
    10-11-2016 11:06 PM
    Can someone confirm if the credit check is a soft or hard inquiry? I'm assuming the former just like if you went to a carrier no?
    You are applying for a new line of credit. It will be a hard inquiry. Synchrony usually pulls Transunion
    10-11-2016 11:17 PM
39 12