Pixel Features on Nexus

BDuff35

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else upset that many of the Pixel features will be exclusive to the Pixel phones and not come to the Nexus phones? :(

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Why would anyone be upset?????

Let me reword that... Why would anyone who is thinking rationally be upset?????

alirezafarmad

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm upset because this was the promise for Nexus phones to always, at least during its life cycle, get the latest android updates from Google but there are some android stuff that doesn't come on Nexus.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm upset because this was the promise for Nexus phones to always, at least during its life cycle, get the latest android updates from Google but there are some android stuff that doesn't come on Nexus.

Huh? Who said you won't still get updates? You will still get Android and monthly security updates and as far as I know, that's what was promised and is being kept...

What the Nexus devices won't get is Pixel only features. Did anyone really expect differently?

Jokerswildwar

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else upset that many of the Pixel features will be exclusive to the Pixel phones and not come to the Nexus phones? :(

Why would anyone be upset that the assistant is exclusive to the Pixel? That was the main feature that is exclusive. Apple iPhone is all exclusive for their features but no one gets mad about them doing it, why can't Google do it with their product?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Not really. The Pixel phones clearly represent a strategic deviation from the Nexus line. Doesn't make sense to expect all Pixel features to become available on Nexus phones.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Heck yeah I'm upset. We as Nexus users were guinea pigs for this. It's one thing if I was on another OEM's hardware. I wouldn't expect the same experience that a Nexus..err Pixel would have. Now our loyalty has been rewarded with a swift kick in the rear. It's clear right now. Pay up or get out. Sorry Google that won't fly. With them needing all the Good Will they could get. They damaged that very badly. As of now the last phone I'll be looking at is a Pixel that's for sure.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Heck yeah I'm upset. We as Nexus users were guinea pigs for this. It's one thing if I was on another OEM's hardware. I wouldn't expect the same experience that a Nexus..err Pixel would have. Now our loyalty has been rewarded with a swift kick in the rear. It's clear right now. Pay up or get out. Sorry Google that won't fly. With them needing all the Good Will they could get. They damaged that very badly. As of now the last phone I'll be looking at is a Pixel that's for sure.

How is your current Nexus phone affected by this? They are still supporting them with OS and security updates based on the support timetable they gave when they were rolled out. A new OS update rolled out just a month ago.

I guess I don't understand the mentality that Nexus users are entitled to something with newer products.

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Most of the Nexus user will upset basically because they feel they are abandon by Google, however without a choice for me, either I moved forward without my Nexus 5 to try out the new feature of the Pixel phone, or either I install the CyangonMod on Nexus 5 to continue the life support. :(

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
How is your current Nexus phone affected by this? They are still supporting them with OS and security updates based on the support timetable they gave when they were rolled out. A new OS update rolled out just a month ago.

I guess I don't understand the mentality that Nexus users are entitled to something with newer products.

How are we affected let me count the ways. First by what they have done the resale value of my device has plummeted. Two as was the promise before we as Nexus users would be the first to have updates to a newer version of Android. Now that is not the case. Three they are now bifurcating 7.1 for Pixel and 7.1 for everyone else including Nexus users. Fourth there is no hardware limitation for assistant with the Nexus. This is just Google's choice to drop kick it's loyal user community. Fifth we were used as beta testers for this with Nougat. I saw many of the things they put into the Pixel during the beta. So yeah I have plenty to be angry about.

They could have thrown a bone to the 5x and 6p users and said we would get what the Pixel has in a future update. What they did instead was anger the best people to promote their new direction. Loyalty is a two way street. That bridge has been burned. Time to look elsewhere.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
How are we affected let me count the ways. First by what they have done the resale value of my device has plummeted. Two as was the promise before we as Nexus users would be the first to have updates to a newer version of Android. Now that is not the case. Three they are now bifurcating 7.1 for Pixel and 7.1 for everyone else including Nexus users. Fourth there is hardware limitation for assistant with the Nexus. This is just Google's choice to drop kick it's loyal user community. Fifth we were used as beta testers for this with Nougat. I saw many of the things they put into the Pixel during the beta. So yeah I have plenty to be angry about.

They could have thrown a bone to the 5x and 6p users and said we would get what the Pixel has in a future update. What they did instead was anger the best people to promote their new direction. Loyalty is a two way street. That bridge has been burned. Time to look elsewhere.

Huh?

1. Resale always drops when a new phone / version of anything is announced.. Not Google's fault!
2. Please show me the announcement from Google saying Nexus phones have been abandoned and won't get updates.
3. Given the unique services alloted to the Pixel is that a surprise?
4. Do you expect Google to upgrade the hardware in previous Nexus devices? C'mon man.. Seriously? LOL

Google drop kicked Nexus users? Throw users a bone by giving them features which are reserved for a new high end marketed device? Again, c'mon man!

Sure and Apple should recall all iPhone 6's and give them 3D touch. They should also recall all iPhone 6S's and give them the better camera and the new touch home button.. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I guess I'll just stop responding now because the whole argument is borderline absurd...

NexusShark

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
How are we affected let me count the ways. First by what they have done the resale value of my device has plummeted. Two as was the promise before we as Nexus users would be the first to have updates to a newer version of Android. Now that is not the case. Three they are now bifurcating 7.1 for Pixel and 7.1 for everyone else including Nexus users. Fourth there is no hardware limitation for assistant with the Nexus. This is just Google's choice to drop kick it's loyal user community. Fifth we were used as beta testers for this with Nougat. I saw many of the things they put into the Pixel during the beta. So yeah I have plenty to be angry about.

Google has already stated that the Pixel division is operating separate from Android. They are considered an OEM just like Samsung. Google makes stock Android 7.1, gives it to the Pixel division and they do any tweaks they like, the same as Samsung or LG etc. Nexus still receives stock Android 7.1 as soon as it's available for release (pixel is not in anyone's hand yet either so 7.1 is not out). I don't think Nexus user understood this when Google said it at the keynote.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Google has already stated that the Pixel division is operating separate from Android. They are considered an OEM just like Samsung. Google makes stock Android 7.1, gives it to the Pixel division and they do any tweaks they like, the same as Samsung or LG etc. Nexus still receives stock Android 7.1 as soon as it's available for release (pixel is not in anyone's hand yet either so 7.1 is not out). I don't think Nexus user understood this when Google said it at the keynote.
Nexus users didn't hear this over the sounds of their own complaining

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Some Nexus users didn't hear this over the sounds of their own complaining

Fixed that for you.. :D

I am a long time Nexus user and I don't have an issue at all with Google's direction.. Then again I don't expect Google to recall my Nexus 5 and put Pixel hardware in it and I'm not mad at Google because I can't sell my Nexus 5 at the same price I paid for it either....

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Fixed that for you.. :D

I am a long time Nexus user and I don't have an issue at all with Google's direction.. Then again I don't expect Google to recall my Nexus 5 and put Pixel hardware in it and I'm not mad at Google because I can't sell my Nexus 5 at the same price I paid for it either....
Very good point, thank you. Some Nexus users are being rational instead of emotional

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Definition of Pixel Phone:

A Nexus transformed into an iClone running Android with bloatware...........:D
Yeah that looks exactly like an iPhone... :rolleyes:

pixel_xl_i7plus_back.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member