10-11-2016 09:17 PM
105 123 ...
tools
    Are the updates coming from google like a nexus? Will there be verizon bloatware on they're version?
    10-04-2016 08:19 PM
    Are the updates coming from google like a nexus? Will there be verizon bloatware on they're version?
    I am expecting ZERO bloatware from Verizon model. heck they made verizon not put their logo at the back. The update come directly from google just like Nexus

Updates I am not quite sure yet but i think google made deal with Verizon to give faster updates for exclusivity.
    even with more control from verizon on nexus 6, they manage to have the least bloat
    10-04-2016 08:26 PM
    I don't see any VZ bloat either. I expect Google to control the software same as Apple does.
    shamefulzero likes this.
    10-04-2016 08:43 PM
    Spoke to a verizon rep who informed me that there will be no additional software to the phone on their end. So as far as bloatware there will be none. According to the rep.
    10-05-2016 09:10 AM
    There is no bloat on the VZW Pixel.
    10-05-2016 09:25 AM
    If there is no additional bloat from VZW, do we know if they will have to "approve" each update? There should be no need now. As long as the phone makes a good faith attempt to download updates on WiFi, let's hope VZW will not hold back updates.
    10-05-2016 09:52 AM
    I doubt that there will be no bloatware, I have had a few Droids on VZW and while I know that's not a "Google" phone, there is always unnecessary software. Granted, they have been the closest to a pure Android experience and I can disable the VZW bloat (do I really need Verizon GPS in this day and age?????) but it would be nice to not have them taking up space.
    10-05-2016 10:22 AM
    The VZW phone will come with 3 installed apps that I know of: My Verizon, GO90, and VZW Messages. It has been reported that you can uninstall these apps. In addition the booloader will not be able to be unlocked.

Updates and patches will come through VZW, which means there is risk they wont come as fast as google.

What I am trying to find out is wifi calling, will that be enabled on vzw if the phone is bought from google.
    10-05-2016 10:24 AM
    Not true -

Verizon's Google Pixel model may not get fast Android updates - Business Insider

Plus sales support confirmed there will be apps on the phone, but could not give me a list.
    Feldon and ironass like this.
    10-05-2016 10:28 AM
    this is another reason i'm not taking chances to buy from VZW... i hate to see the phone came with VZW bloatware...
    10-05-2016 11:06 AM
    The VZW phone will come with 3 installed apps that I know of: My Verizon, GO90, and VZW Messages. It has been reported that you can uninstall these apps. In addition the booloader will not be able to be unlocked.

Updates and patches will come through VZW, which means there is risk they wont come as fast as google.

What I am trying to find out is wifi calling, will that be enabled on vzw if the phone is bought from google.
    whats ever u said is wrong. google gets u the update and not verizon
    10-05-2016 11:19 AM
    I am most likely going to get the Pixel XL via Edging Up from my DROID Turbo. I don't want bloatware, but I can tolerate it.
    10-05-2016 12:01 PM
    As a VZW user who's been burned before with their last Nexus offering, I plan on purchasing the Pixel unlocked from Google and then swap my nano-sim over.

My GNex experience with VZW wasn't what people hoped or expected. Updates were turtle slow, and had plenty of bloat. Luckily back then I was a root/rom junkie, so I was able to mitigate the problem. But today I'm just too lazy to do that anymore.
    10-05-2016 12:15 PM
    I remember when people screamed and cried from the rooftops about the VZW Gnex having carrier bloat. Turns out it was over Verizon helpfully including 2-3 VZW-centric apps which apparently turned those phones into unstable shaky messes, as far as those users were concerned.
    10-05-2016 12:39 PM
    I will just buy it from Google store and activate it on Verizon. Then no worries about bloatware or updates.
    10-05-2016 12:45 PM
    I will just buy it from Google store and activate it on Verizon. Then no worries about bloatware or updates.
    I agree, but there has been a lot of info. that going that route will cause issues with VZ vs. buying direct from them. Any thoughts?
    10-05-2016 01:54 PM
    But today I'm just too lazy to do that anymore.
    Likewise :P.
    10-05-2016 01:55 PM
    I suggest people do their research on the beginnings of Android. It was essentially planned as an OS for carriers.

The Verizon Pixel is the original vision realized.
    ChuckG73 likes this.
    10-05-2016 01:57 PM
    I agree, but there has been a lot of info. that going that route will cause issues with VZ vs. buying direct from them. Any thoughts?
    What info are you referring to? A year ago perhaps. But today it's easy peasy. VZW has been a lot easier to deal with since they separated device sales from carrier service.
    10-05-2016 01:59 PM
    whats ever u said is wrong. google gets u the update and not google
    "Google gets you the update not google" what?
    10-05-2016 02:04 PM
    I'll believe fast updates through Verizon when pigs fly through hell freezing over! I'm still waiting for the Marshmallow update from my original Droid Turbo... VZW has never done any updates quickly at all, if they say they are, then they are lying!
    Feldon likes this.
    10-05-2016 02:32 PM
    I'll believe fast updates through Verizon when pigs fly through hell freezing over! I'm still waiting for the Marshmallow update from my original Droid Turbo... VZW has never done any updates quickly at all, if they say they are, then they are lying!
    They've done it before. See first gen Moto X KitKat on Verizon. And with security, see Galaxy S7s.
    10-05-2016 02:35 PM
    I'm not sure which reports point to problems operating on VZW with handsets purchased from the Google Store. I bought a 5X and installed VZW SIM with no problems. I use the handset everyday.
    Rocketsaucev2 likes this.
    10-05-2016 02:53 PM
    I don't think the question here is problems operating the phone, the question is with functionality.

We know that vzw has prevented the ability to unlock the bootloader.

We know that there are 3 apps installed on the device, which does not sound like much - but again its bloatware.

No one trust VZW on release updates and security patches. And there is an article already out there that vzw would not "confirm" releasing updates on the same schedule as google.

The big issue for me, is will the google version of the phone be able to enable wifi calling on the vzw network. We know tmobile users can. What I can't find for certainty is the ROM is coded to allow this on vzw's network...or do you need the vzw version of the phone to utiltize this.

The other thing I was wondering if my mobile hot spot is in issue or not?
    10-05-2016 05:21 PM
    Regardless if this phone is updated by Verizon or Google directly it will probably follow the same update schedule. The Pixel phones "made by Google" are too important for them to have any perceived issues or lacking in an area like updates. Unlike with the Motorola update issues there is one less party to finger point at. I'm sure this was discussed during their exclusivity contract negotiations and has already been worked out to Google's satisfaction.

P.S.
    It's already been reported that the Pixel will be compatable with T-Mobile and Verzion Wi-Fi calling:
    Pixel and Pixel XL will support T-Mobile and Verizon WiFi calling
    10-05-2016 06:25 PM
105 123 ...