10-22-2016 07:11 AM
38 12
tools
    I absolutely detest iPhones, but I wish Pixel XL has the dual camera setup like the iPhone 7 Plus.

I played with my neighbor's iPhone 7 Plus for a few hours yesterday. Oh my lord, that phone has the most awesome camera I have ever used on a smartphone. The dual camera setup sounded like a gimmick to me, but the more I used it, the move I loved it. (which makes me real sad when I had to go back to using my own S7 edge)

Not really sure if I'll go with the Pixel XL. It's supposed to have a great camera, but I don't suppose it will have the capabilities of the iPhone 7 Plus camera?
    10-08-2016 04:04 AM
    Fingers crossed for the next Pixel will have these abilities.
    10-08-2016 04:54 AM
    It definitely won't have the same capabilities as the Iphone 7+ camera. But look at it this way, at least you have a headphone jack
    mountainman likes this.
    10-08-2016 06:55 AM
    So, let me ask you. Honestly speaking. What do you specifically like about the iphone 7/plus camera? Just curious.
    10-08-2016 09:34 AM
    It definitely won't have the same capabilities as the Iphone 7+ camera. But look at it this way, at least you have a headphone jack
    Apple was being stupid when them took away the headphone jack.
    It's another reason I detest iPhones.

Having said that, I haven't used wired headphones in a few years.
    My current headphones are the Bose QC35 wireless headphones
    and other than the occasional slight delay when playing videos,
    they sound great.
    10-08-2016 10:13 AM
    So, let me ask you. Honestly speaking. What do you specifically like about the iphone 7/plus camera? Just curious.
    compared side-by-side with my S7 edge and Note 7(going away soon),
    the iPhone 7 Plus camera was more responsive. When I tap it, the
    shutter goes off faster than the S7 edge. It's also "feels" smoother.
    Also very useful when I want to zoom in to the subject, especially my
    cats and dogs.
    10-08-2016 10:16 AM
    cats and dogs.
    The only thing the second camera gets you in that list, from what I understand, is a better zoom. I've heard more reviewers be unimpressed with it than impressed. But if you liked it that much then hopefully you can get it on your next Android.
    10-08-2016 10:20 AM
    I absolutely detest iPhones, but I wish Pixel XL has the dual camera setup like the iPhone 7 Plus.

I played with my neighbor's iPhone 7 Plus for a few hours yesterday. Oh my lord, that phone has the most awesome camera I have ever used on a smartphone. The dual camera setup sounded like a gimmick to me, but the more I used it, the move I loved it. (which makes me real sad when I had to go back to using my own S7 edge)

Not really sure if I'll go with the Pixel XL. It's supposed to have a great camera, but I don't suppose it will have the capabilities of the iPhone 7 Plus camera?
    The LG V20 has dual cameras plus the selfie camera.
    jamesrick80 likes this.
    10-09-2016 01:24 PM
    Yeah having a nicer portrait lens like the iPhone would be great. Yet, I would go with a android over a iPhone in a heartbeat
    10-09-2016 02:23 PM
    The iPhone camera isn't as good as the Note 7 camera so I don't see what the big deal is.
    10-09-2016 04:30 PM
    The iPhone camera isn't as good as the Note 7 camera so I don't see what the big deal is.
    Well considering no one will be able to buy a Note7 soon, I'd say it makes a difference.
    10-09-2016 04:58 PM
    Well considering no one will be able to buy a Note7 soon, I'd say it makes a difference.
    The iPhone 7 camera isn't as good as the S7 or S7 Edge camera either.
    10-09-2016 05:29 PM
    cats and dogs.
    I dont detest the IP, wife has one and its sooo smooth compared to my 5X. But I think thats what make IP so good, its smoothness. And why are people so bent out of shape over a headphone jack. Its almost 2017 and everything is BT now. They did away with headphone jacks on car year ago and went BT. No more hanging cords, better if you as me. I havent use a headphone jack in years. Reminds me of people complaining about the 5X USB C and now manuf are slowly switching over, same goes for the SD cards. Apple just did it first and soon other will follow. Headphone jack is outdated.
    10-10-2016 01:22 PM
    I dont detest the IP, wife has one and its sooo smooth compared to my 5X. But I think thats what make IP so good, its smoothness..
    what? you mean Google engineers and executives were lying
    when they claimed that Android Lollipop(2 versions ago) solved
    the smoothness problem and Android phones were forever
    just as smooth(if not smoother) than any iPhone?

I distinctly remember it because that's what they said when they
    announced the Nexus 5... in fact, Android Central articles also
    claimed the same thing... that was over 2 years ago...

You and I will probably be flamed, but yes, I agree with you.. even
    my S7 edge and Note 7 are nowhere as smooth as the iPhone 6S
    Plus and iPhone 7 Plus. (going to find my flame-retardant suit now)
    10-10-2016 02:59 PM
    I hate how the iPhone is just a pretty up-ed galaxy but the camera is very good
    10-10-2016 03:05 PM
    Don't get me wrong there are things I like about them both. I know it's going to impossible to get a perfect phone, but I wish one of them would do it.
    10-10-2016 04:24 PM
    I hate how the iPhone is just a pretty up-ed galaxy but the camera is very good
    Not as good as a Galaxy phone though!
    10-10-2016 05:50 PM
    Google doesn't need dual camera features ..they made it in a single camera!
    10-21-2016 10:21 AM
    Like lg had for years.
    jamesrick80 likes this.
    10-21-2016 10:44 AM
    What's the actual benefit of the dual camera system? I've seen some shots, and other than a wider viewing angle, I'm not seeing the actual benefit. What I think would be incredible though would be post focus... I can't remember the name of the camera, but the ability to adjust the depth of field would be a great feature... or I'm crazy.

edit: I'm crazy.
    10-21-2016 10:49 AM
    What's the actual benefit of the dual camera system? I've seen some shots, and other than a wider viewing angle, I'm not seeing the actual benefit. What I think would be incredible though would be post focus... I can't remember the name of the camera, but the ability to adjust the depth of field would be a great feature... or I'm crazy.

edit: I'm crazy.
    The 2X optical zoom is a nice feature because of the dual camera setup. And the portrait mode with the DSLR like feature that it focus on the object in front and blur out the back.
    10-21-2016 10:53 AM
    From what I have been seeing about the camera and from what I have been hearing -- There is no issue with the camera quality so I am fine with what Google did .
    10-21-2016 10:56 AM
    Maybe I can help put your mind at ease - the cameras in the iPhone 7 are not very impressive at all.

First, they use much smaller image sensors than the Pixel. The iPhone 7 Plus uses a 1/3" sensor for the wide camera, and a 1/3.6" for the telephoto camera. Small sensors are bad at gathering light, and you can only fight physics so much. The Pixel's use a 1/2.3" sensor, the same size found in many point & shoot cameras, and other high end non-apple smartphones.

Second, the Pixel has a much better HDR implementation than the iPhone, and it's instant. The Pixel can take as many rapid-fire HDR's as you want with no shutter lag. For most people wanting share-ready photos that look great straight from their phone, this is a big deal.

Third, the Pixel has much better video stabilization. It's eerily good, and there are plenty of videos on the web demonstrating it. It's so good that it makes the video look like it's shot from a tripod when panning, which you may or may not want depending on usage. There is also no 'jello' effect.

Fourth, the optical quality is much better. The Pixel isn't in this comparison yet, but you can see in this comparison between the iPhones and a Galaxy S7 that the quality is shockingly poor on the iPhone 7, especially in the iPhone7 Plus. Move the little box around to see different areas of the image:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ima...34560965857144

Fifth, the ISO performance on the iPhone 7 is quite poor. In all the samples I have seen including professional testing on DPreview and other websites, anything above base ISO not in good lighting looks like a pastel painting. Their noise reduction algorithms totally destroy the image if you look at them with any kind of scrutiny. In fact, the ISO performance is so poor on the iPhone 7 Plus telephoto camera, that the phone actually uses a crop from the wide angle camera instead when you go above a certain ISO, because that sensor is larger than the telephoto sensor. The reason this doesn't happen on the Pixel is twofold. First, the sensor is significantly larger and it can simply gather more light, which improves low light performance. Second, because the high ISO images are really several images merged, Google's algorithms are able to eliminate most of the noise (because noise appears randomly in an image) while keeping the photo relatively sharp and free from the heavy noise reduction that results in a pastel-looking image.

This is a good article on the sensor used in the Google Pixel/Pixel XL and how it's different than the 6P sensor:
    Sony IMX378: Comprehensive Breakdown of the Google Pixel's Sensor and its Features

Finally, the Pixel offers unlimited, free, full resolution photo storage even for 4K video. Apple charges $10/mo for 1TB of storage, and doesn't offer an unlimited option as far as I know. If you take lots of photos and 4K video, it doesn't take long to hit 1TB.

Hope that helps. Honestly the iPhone 7/7+ camera is nothing special and I don't understand the hype around it. They are using smaller image sensors than all the competition, and still somehow can't get rid of the camera bump. They aren't the first with a dual camera setup either.
    Aglet and Wiley_11 like this.
    10-21-2016 10:58 AM
    From what I have been seeing about the camera and from what I have been hearing -- There is no issue with the camera quality so I am fine with what Google did .
    I feel the same way about the Pixel's camera, but having 2X zoom is definitely nice. I want 2X zoom much more than water resistance. I am surprised more people don't complain about this. All you see is everyone complaining about no water resistance. haha.
    10-21-2016 10:59 AM
    I can't believe apple was first to this kind of thing too! Qualcomm was showing off a prototype with an extra 85emm lens around when the HTC M8 rumour mill was heating up, but all any of the android makers have done was wider cameras like the g5 or insane gimmicks like the m8 depth sensor or huawei b&w camera. I've been hating the way my phone takes portraits and concert photos for years, i'm so steamed that the company least willing to try weird stuff was the first company to ship a telephoto lens on a phone.
    10-21-2016 11:02 AM
38 12