Price discounts? Don't count on it happening.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Google does not release sales figures for their handsets. Estimates put the Nexus 4/Nexus 5 as selling 3-4 million units. That's probably a reasonable estimate. Even if you cut it in half that's 1.5-2 million units. Not sure if its based on US or international numbers.

The push for price parity with the iPhone and the absence of price cuts on the 5X & 6P inventory suggest that Google is not going to discount phones.

aporthole

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
There is already a discount on the pixel in the form of the daydream headset. If at launch they are already willing to take an $80 hit, then there will surely be some other form of discount at some point. Probably after Xmas. Remember the discount on the 5x started in February or March. Before that The 5x was selling for full retail (with a $25 google play gift card).

Nope. The 5x was discounted $80 on Black Friday last year. I ordered one from B&H Photo for $299 ($379 MSRP) and got a $25 B&H gift card too.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Sure, they could drop the price. But lately they've been selling off the balance of outgoing models before introducing the new one. The only reason they'd be likely to discount would be if they drastically overproduced handsets midway to late in the product's life cycle, but even then they wouldn't have to discount it directly; they could simply wholesale them out at further discount to VZW/BB, and let them work in discounts.

I don't see the price dropping, though it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they incentivized sales by adding value through giving associated products, like revisiting the Daydream offer or a Google Play software store credit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance