Will Google Assistant require web & voice activity recorded by Google?

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
So after seeing the images allegedly produced by the Pixel, I'm mildly interested; so I'm wondering ... In order to use Google assistant (their key advantage over competitors), will you need to allow Google to collect/save your voice data?

I understand why Google wants this data, it helps them improve the fidelity of their algorithms, but honestly, the algorithms can still work fine without saving user data. I'm no tin foil wearer but knowing everything I ask my phone is logged just rubs me the wrong way.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't bother me at all. You ask it stuff with Google Now already, right? I can't imagine the policy will change from that much. I really don't care if Google keeps everything I ask it. It will probably make future results better I would expect.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
So after seeing the images allegedly produced by the Pixel, I'm mildly interested; so I'm wondering ... In order to use Google assistant (their key advantage over competitors), will you need to allow Google to collect/save your voice data?

I understand why Google wants this data, it helps them improve the fidelity of their algorithms, but honestly, the algorithms can still work fine without saving user data. I'm no tin foil wearer but knowing everything I ask my phone is logged just rubs me the wrong way.

I highly doubt it. Google likely knows more about you than you know about yourself anyway

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I highly doubt it. Google likely knows more about you than you know about yourself anyway
Well assuming they're adhering to their privacy policies, they don't know that much about me.

I'm asking this question because Google does strange things like this when it comes to allowing certain features.

For example, in order to use OK Google from any screen (besides home screen), they require voice searches to be logged. Why?

Another example, in order to have Google "navigate home" from an OK Google query, they require location history be turned on, even though your already have a 'home' saved in your maps app.

Google has a history of hiding convenience features behind privacy walls. I guess I'll wait for reviews to get the question answered, seems no one knows yet.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Much ado about nothing as far as I'm concerned.
Well I didn't really ask for your opinion on whether my privacy concerns were valid now did I?

I only asked if anyone knew the privacy requirements for using Google Assistant. Clearly none of you know anything yet; for future reference, a simple "I don't know yet" is an acceptable answer to this sort of question.

Thanks.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Vis-a-vis privacy, I'm curious to know what Google Assistant logs as well . . . and more directly, can we opt out or turn Google Assistant "off". Not that I will but would be nice to have that option.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Well I didn't really ask for your opinion on whether my privacy concerns were valid now did I?

I only asked if anyone knew the privacy requirements for using Google Assistant. Clearly none of you know anything yet; for future reference, a simple "I don't know yet" is an acceptable answer to this sort of question.

Thanks.
Thank you for the passive aggressive response. The truth is that nobody else is concerned about whether Google is recording our voices with the assistant, except you. If you're so worried about privacy you should get a Blackphone.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the passive aggressive response. The truth is that nobody else is concerned about whether Google is recording our voices with the assistant, except you. If you're so worried about privacy you should get a Blackphone.
Well it wasn't passive aggressive; I'm straight up telling you that I don't care for your opinion on whether my privacy concerns are valid or not.

Not knowing the answer to my question is one thing. Saying the question isn't even valid because you don't have the same concerns is another.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't bother me at all. You ask it stuff with Google Now already, right? I can't imagine the policy will change from that much. I really don't care if Google keeps everything I ask it. It will probably make future results better I would expect.
You can use Google now and opt out of web and app activity. In that situation, OK Google works and nothing is logged.

But if you want to use OK Google from any screen, you need to opt in.

Android changes depending on the privacy settings you're comfortable with. I'm still using it because I'm still comfortable, simply asking if Google Assistant would change that. Seems the answer is wait and see.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Well it wasn't passive aggressive; I'm straight up telling you that I don't care for your opinion on whether my privacy concerns are valid or not.

Not knowing the answer to my question is one thing. Saying the question isn't even valid because you don't have the same concerns is another.

It's a valid question if you're paranoid or have something to hide. I know you didn't ask for that opinion - I was giving it to you anyway. I don't need your permission. Like I said, if privacy is that important to you, there are more secure options available.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
It's a valid question if you're paranoid or have something to hide. I know you didn't ask for that opinion - I was giving it to you anyway. I don't need your permission. Like I said, if privacy is that important to you, there are more secure options available.

Oh, well in that case care to share with everyone here your entire web, app, and voice history? You can find it on your Google Account.

Unless you're paranoid or have something to hide it shouldn't be a problem right? Put your money where your mouth is and share those things with us, otherwise stop posting.

I'll be waiting.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Oh, well in that case care to share with everyone here your entire web, app, and voice history? You can find it on your Google Account.

Unless you're paranoid or have something to hide it shouldn't be a problem right? Put your money where your mouth is and share those things with us, otherwise stop posting.

I'll be waiting.
Google and Microsoft have all of those things on me. They know everything about me. They know what I like and what I don't like. They know where I live. They know what school I go to. They know what my voice sounds like. I don't care.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Will Google Assistant require web & voice activity recorded by Google?

Google and Microsoft have all of those things on me. They know everything about me. They know what I like and what I don't like. They know where I live. They know what school I go to. They know what my voice sounds like. I don't care.
If you're not going to post your web history to stand behind your arrogant opinion, then clearly you value privacy which makes you a hypocrite.

Or perhaps you don't; which, in your own words, means you are paranoid and/or have something to hide.

So put up or shut up.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

If you're not going to post your web history to stand behind your arrogant opinion, then clearly you value privacy which makes you a hypocrite.

Or perhaps you don't; which, in your own words, means you are paranoid and/or have something to hide.

So put up or shut up.
63742220.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It doesn't bother me. Google now and Google Launcher is already set to know stuff about me. The assistant will be the same.

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
That's how voice assistant works, same goes with Cortana, Siri and BB Assistant, they need to know more about you in order for them to understand more about you.

Especially for Google, since their strength is in their search engine, they need to collect more of your data to show more accurate and relevant data/interest to you, or in other word "ads".

I guess by the time you use the voice assistant, you need to share and let these company to collect your data, I have no problem with that, so it's not a big deal for me. :)

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

So put up or shut up.

I believe the difference is your asking a total stranger to post their history on an open forum for the world to see. He seems to not care that Google has his info, google is not sharing that with the world, so I think your request is quite a bit unreasonable.

If your concerned, don't use the feature. Face it, if you use google, they know more about you than the NSA and FBI and even your own parents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21