Most of us had just miss out the important thing about Pixel Phones.

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
It's about a week pass that Google had just announce their latest flagship devices.

But I guess that most of out us had miss out few important thing and how Pixel line is gonna change the way Google approach of their with the Android.

1) The "version" of Android that come with Pixel are no longer just a Stock/Pure Android. In the past, when Google came out with the new Nexus devices, it will be the plain version of Android that most of us loved, it's the most stock version of Android with the Google apps pre-installed in it, otherwise it will be just same as their AOSP counterpart.

2) With these moves, not only Google wanted to control their hardware, Google even wanted to control the software part of it. Start with Pixel Launcher and Google Assistant only available on Pixel devices, temporary I guess. But these approach also makes Google Pixel stand out than any other Android devices out there, it's not just some plain version of Android which capture the geek market, it's a full Google version of Android which wanted to capture mass market with their own unique experience and proprietary features.

3) It's safe to say that there is high chance that we will see more proprietary functionality which will only available on the Pixel devices in the future, these function may or not added to the AOSP part of Android.

4) Which leads to the price also increase to "meet" the standard of the consumer market price (sound stupid, but that is actually how corporate world works).

5) Google are in big gamble with their announcement of Pixel devices, there is OEM that may feel that this is a threat from Google, some may feel it's just another healthy competition, but I am curious to see whether this action will drives Samsung even further to Tizen, or make them wanted build a better Android phone to compete with Google Pixel.

I love Google and I love Android, certainly the introduction of Pixel may bring big impact on the future of Android, not just to the previous Nexus user (like me), but also to the entire Android market.

Momi7

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I do agree with you. Although I'm not sure whether Samsung or any other company for that matter can succeed in making a new smartphone OS. Sailfish, Windows are the examples.

danchristerg

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
so far, pixel isn't a threat to other Android smartphones, at least for now, there's no exclusive stand out feature on the Pixel that made me interested. I guess we'll see in the next gen ☺

Ignacio H

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
I don't know about Samsung. It seems like no phone OS can compete against Android/iOS, you see Windows. But, on the other hand, here in Chile (and a lot of other countries for what it seems) a lot of people buy Samsung phone because they want a smartphone to run a few apps like WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram and don't really care about Android. If Samsung packs Tizen with good and popular apps they may have a chance. And I think that's what Samsung is going to do now, start selling more Tizen phones along their Android line, promoting their own OS.

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Sailfish did face many obstacle, however I can see them are fighting hard to survive.

While Tizen are doing quite well in certain region, we are yet to see Samsung taking seriously on bringing Tizen to the mainstream audiences/mass market.

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Maybe in the short run we won't see anything yet. Yeah, I do agree temporary we can't see any uniqueness on Pixel that can compete with other OEM(except for Google Assistant and Pixel Launcher, for now). Let's see how the future goes.

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Actually I kinda like Tizen too, light and fast. But it didn't seem like Samsung are ready to push Tizen to mainstream audience yet.

mrsafety7

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
It will be interesting to see just how different the experience is over what everyone has came to love frim the nexus lineup. I'm all for a unique experience but that is what all the manufacturersame are already doing with their slight tweaks to the os. Look at Samsung with some built in features (and other crap) you can't get anywhere else. I have always liked pure android over the fluff just for the security and reliability of basic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX