Pixel Aesthetics

OzymandiasX225

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys, just want to get an opinion on what you think about the Pixel as far as aesthetics.
Do you feel like Google might be trying to compete with Apple a bit more on the actual look of the phone?
If there is one thing I'm not to particular of is how the sensors tend to stand out so much on the white variant. That alone would be enough for me to pick the black one instead. But i'm just nitpicky like that. :p

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, just want to get an opinion on what you think about the Pixel as far as aesthetics.
Do you feel like Google might be trying to compete with Apple a bit more on the actual look of the phone?
If there is one thing I'm not to particular of is how the sensors tend to stand out so much on the white variant. That alone would be enough for me to pick the black one instead. But i'm just nitpicky like that. :p

I don't care for the iClone look at all. Thank gawd I'm more of a nuts&bolts kinda guy though.............:D

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
From what I've read, the actual device in person doesn't really look or feel like an iPhone. I'm not worried about it at all.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Ordered a black Pixel. I'm not in love with the look of the back of the phone and I want to protect it without adding weight, so I ordered a black leather back from Dbrand. They are shipping much more quickly. Had about 6 of their skins so far and each has been perfect. I'll post when I get it.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Not really sure why people are saying it looks like iPhone. It's a rectangular piece of metal and glass. It's a very basic design. It's not flashy....so simple.design is now exclusive to Apple?

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Not really sure why people are saying it looks like iPhone. It's a rectangular piece of metal and glass. It's a very basic design. It's not flashy....so simple.design is now exclusive to Apple?

You don't see the similarities and wasted space at the top and bottom? Not talking about cameras,buttons,speakers etc.

pixel-iphone7-intro400.jpg

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site

Well, You know that apple has really become the porsche of the mobile industry at this point. Even if I might not agree with everything they do but you can't deny that apple has really nailed it over the years in the design department.
Even if I know this is the wrongest forum to have posted this.. From hardware design to software UX we just have to give it to them. Even their so called "stale" iphone 7 design is miles ahead of 95% of other phones in the industry (the iphone 6 series are probably the most copied designs of all time).. And their iphone 4 and 5 are still classics to this day which is a testament to their polish..

Too bad their locked down OS sucks outright

May 3, 2015
Visit site
You don't see the similarities and wasted space at the top and bottom? Not talking about cameras,buttons,speakers etc.

View attachment 242003

The wasted space is to make.it symmetrical. I think it was a dumb move having it and not speaker. They should have just had a bigger screen. But that doesn't mean it looks like an iPhone. Literally every phone face available looks like that (Samsung removed the bezel on some phones...which sucks).

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Well, You know that apple has really become the porsche of the mobile industry at this point. Even if I might not agree with everything they do but you can't deny that apple has really nailed it over the years in the design department.
Even if I know this is the wrongest forum to have posted this.. From hardware design to software UX we just have to give it to them. Even their so called "stale" iphone 7 design is miles ahead of 95% of other phones in the industry (the iphone 6 series are probably the most copied designs of all time).. And their iphone 4 and 5 are still classics to this day which is a testament to their polish..

Gonna have to massively disagree. Everytime I use iOS it annoys me at how non intuitive it is.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Gonna have to massively disagree. Everytime I use iOS it annoys me at how non intuitive it is.
All depends on what you're used to, but the fact remains the hardware is superior inside and out, as is the OS and Dev environment (from a performance/stability point of view). Compiled objective-C way outperforms a java runtime. And Apple frameworks are highly optimized for the hardware they design and build.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Then how do you explain Touch-gate and Noise-gate on the latest iThings?

If I had to guess (and I do), I'd chalk it up to a .0 release of a major OS upgrade. I've yet to see anyone's .0 release of anything that didn't have its quirks. That doesn't change what I have previously asserted. Take an iPhone 7 apart... compare it to any Android phone... night and day. Similar comparison of the platform, dev tools and app quality/performance.

But just because I prefer Android doesn't mean I can't admire Apple for what they do better.

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I don't really see the resemblances here, since the design of smartphone these day are really similar to each other, the form factor and basic design is similar to each other.

I won't say who is trying to copy who here, some may say Apple copy other, Samsung copy other, or this case Google copy Apple. But to me, it doesn't look a like, the only look a like part to me is that both of them are having candy bar form factor.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
The wasted space is to make.it symmetrical. I think it was a dumb move having it and not speaker. They should have just had a bigger screen. But that doesn't mean it looks like an iPhone. Literally every phone face available looks like that (Samsung removed the bezel on some phones...which sucks).

I am no engineer, but there are goodies behind the bottom and upper bezels. You also need space for the size of the battery. Maybe they have a mini fire extinguisher behind the chin. LOL

jd78

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I've always thought it was ridiculous when there are claims that X smartphone copied/looks like Y smartphone. Smartphones in general have used the "candy bar" shape for about a decade. The fronts of most smartphones have looked similar with each other for years. Manufactures have done a few different things with the backs and edges, but the front has pretty much been the same (especially since most manufacturers have ditched physical buttons).

I get why people don't like the look of the Pixel, the same way that I understand if people don't like the look of the iPhone, but when it comes to design, there is no pleasing everyone... Some of the complaints about the chin are a bit overboard and dramatic, acting as if there isn't a purpose or its just empty underneath. The bottom line is that someone/group from Google probably drew up a design and after several revisions got the stamp of approval. For Google's first phone, I think they may have played it safe, but overall I think it looks good. The design will change with the generations just as it has with every other manufacturer.

fury2g

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

It looks 98% like an iPhone... just facts.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
To my eyes the Pixel looks good. Since this is Google first official phone, I can see them getting better and improving the design in the future. Apple make small changes to the iPhone yearly and folks still brag about how good it looks.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Apple raised the bar I give them that but the design is nothing great like folks make it to be. Apple has taken a lot from HTC lately and some think HTC design good phones, maybe better than Apple. I can look at a phone and see that it is an iPhone. When I see the Pixel phone that's what I see, when I see a Samsung phone that's what I see etc,etc. If iPhone is all your mind want to see and notice then every phone that is made will always be an iPhone wanna be to you and anyone else who is program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty