The muggles seem to like the Pixel phone

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I was watching a video for the Pixels on Google's YouTube channel and I found the response to it quite interesting. The voting for it was over 95% thumbs up. The comments are overwhelmingly positive including a tremendous amount of people saying they plan on switching from iPhone to Pixel.
I know that's not a scientific poll or an exact indicator of how many people are going to buy the phone, but it is an interesting view of what people outside of the forums here at Hogwarts think of the Pixel.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
weird. also important to note, that in the actual market out there - their opinions matter much more than ours :p

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
I was watching a video for the Pixels on Google's YouTube channel and I found the response to it quite interesting. The voting for it was over 95% thumbs up. The comments are overwhelmingly positive including a tremendous amount of people saying they plan on switching from iPhone to Pixel.
I know that's not a scientific poll or an exact indicator of how many people are going to buy the phone, but it is an interesting view of what people outside of the forums here at Hogwarts think of the Pixel.

d4177e3382e39660b579e520dbffe0d8.gif

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The only people bent out of shape are the geeks who wanted Google to make a $800 phone and sell it for $299... When Google didn't then end of the world came!

I've talked to a few non geek friends who are interested in and considering it..

Geeks need to understand the days of Google making, marketing and selling a phone to geeks only is over...

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
The only people bent out of shape are the geeks who wanted Google to make a $800 phone and sell it for $299... When Google didn't then end of the world came!

I've talked to a few non geek friends who are interested in and considering it..

Geeks need to understand the days of Google making, marketing and selling a phone to geeks only is over...

I think people were "bent out of shape" because of *change* not price, some people just don't like things to change. The V20 is $830 on ATT. so the price it is what it is.

If this thing with the Google Assistant and Google Home (and other things I'm not quite sure of yet) turns out well this could be a monumental shift in the way we use smartphones...........:D

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I am all for change... As a matter of fact, right now I just want Google to change my order status to shipped! :D

James Graham5

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the devices from the very beginning, 1st Android phone (colleague had one and played with his device many a time) to actually owning a Nexus One right the way through to 6P (only missing the Nexus S as it wasn't sold on my network). I have ordered myself a Pixel and when I've spoken to a few people at work about it and some customers too, they all seem very intrigued by it. Roll on the 20th when it actually arrives and I can properly play with it.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
It's not surprising. The phone looks strikingly similar to an iPhone for starters. Shared a picture of it on Twitter and one of my iPhone using friends replied back quickly how much she liked the design. And then, when they see the price tag, their brainwashed minds automatically conclude that it's just as high of quality as an iPhone. If it was priced lower, they'd assumed it was lower quality.

Google is more targeting iPhone users with this phone e than they are Android users.

Also, geeks are bent out of shape because we're not useless. We know what phones are out there and we have a reference point when it comes to pricing. I wasn't expecting Nexus 4 or Nexus 5 pricing, but I was expecting fair pricing. This phone isn't worth hundreds of dollars on top of other flagships. If you think that, you're clueless. Marketing is a huge reason this phone is priced high. The Nexus line received little to no marketing. The other reason this is priced high is to appeal to sheep. They don't understand, along with most consumers, don't understand that you can get quality products for cheap. These are same people paying extra for name brand salt.

shady195

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

So much this.

I think the people complaining, talking about how no one will ever buy this phone for its price and the lack of features compared to its competitors has any real idea what their voice in the market share really is. Id say its less than 5% if I had to throw a number out there. Also, most of the "desirable" IMO configurations were sold out rather quickly on launch day. Google doesn't expect to break records here, but so far I think things are looking good for a steady future.

People scoff at its price, but 24/7 support alone right on your phone is worth its weight in gold, not everyone is a geek. Some people need help.

I think many geeks are completely delusional about what this is, and despite having signs for months previous that it wasn't going to be anything like a nexus, completely ignored it and got pissed when they saw the price that they knew was coming.

VitaminA

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
If people didn't get the hint (on price) from all the leaks prior to the "Pixel" name being leaked, they should have after. Pixel is obviously Google's high-end name, and will always be priced as such. As stated before, if they priced it low, the average consumer would assume low quality; even though there are several higher quality, lower priced phones...but none of those are really jumping off the shelves to the average consumer.

Think about it this way, if Tesla entered the car industry with their S model, claiming it to be high-end, but priced it at $30k, they would not have the prestige they now enjoy. Now that they established themselves as innovators with 2 high-price models, they're now able to get a HUGE following for their budget model. Perhaps Google will do the same with the Pixel in a couple years.

As OP put it, I've seen and heard too many positive things outside of "geek" websites to think this phone won't be successful in the mainstream...but only time will tell.

shady195

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Someone being willing to pay $5 for a Snickers bar doesn't make it worth $5.

Yes it does, its called free market.

Things are worth what people are willing to pay. If no one was willing to pay 700 dollars for a phone, they would not cost 700 dollars. Welcome to capitalism.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
And it's the mindless sheep keeping prices high for other reason than to satisfy corporate greed.

Products are overpriced because consumers allow them to be. I'll be voting with my wallet this year and so will a lot more people who realize that they don't have to be ripped off to enjoy a quality phone.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Enjoy your name brand seasonings, medications, etc, and the illusion they give you that they're better because they cost more.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that we're all happy with our purchases. I think this is overpriced, I won't get it. Plenty of people will justify that it isn't overpriced, and they'll buy it. We'll all have phones that we're happy with.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
This phone isn't worth hundreds of dollars on top of other flagships. If you think that, you're clueless.

Color me clueless then... But I am happily clueless and will be even happier and more clueless once I get it in my grubby paws...

Your entire post did give me a giggle or two though so thanks.. Internet tantrums are funny..

It's not surprising. The phone looks strikingly similar to an iPhone for starters.

Yup it looks exactly like an iPhone (sarcasm intended) :rolleyes:

pixel_xl_i7plus_back.jpg

Last edited:

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that we're all happy with our purchases

Definitely true, yet this is at odds with the rest of your comments here. I think if all your statements about it being overpriced (and that others who don't feel so are "clueless") were prefaced with "In my opinion", it might be taken more as someone opining, and not someone condescending.

I think the Pixel price is quite high, and yes probably too high, considering it has no Wireless charging (really?), no water resistance, and lots of other features I have become used to . I still do feel like it has value for me - even at that high price - but I can definitely see why you and others might not.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I think people were "bent out of shape" because of *change* not price, some people just don't like things to change. The V20 is $830 on ATT. so the price it is what it is.

If this thing with the Google Assistant and Google Home (and other things I'm not quite sure of yet) turns out well this could be a monumental shift in the way we use smartphones...........:D

Ok then what changed in pixel that people now dont want to buy it. The name??(I would say that foolish to not buy because of a name) the new Google assist feature and the new 3 button or the new shade??

now adding feature to a phone is what people dont want because that changes?? Its the damn price that people are bullish about. you are just trying to sugar coat things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome