Verizon via Ars Technica - updates will not be delayed

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
A Verizon spokesperson has reached out to Ars with the following corrections about its version of the Pixel:

"First and foremost, all operating system and security updates to the Pixel devices will happen in partnership with Google. In other words, when Google releases an update, Verizon phones will receive the same update at the same time (much like iOS updates). Verizon will not stand in the way of any major updates and users will get all updates at the same time as Google.

Also, the Verizon version of the Google Pixel is carrier unlocked, so you can use it where ever you like. Finally, we have three apps pre-installed on the phone Go90, My Verizon (which is your account management tool) and Verizon Messages (your messaging app). As you noted, all three can easily be uninstalled by the user."

Google told 9to5Google that "system updates will be managed by Verizon for Verizon models," which in the past this has meant slower, delayed updates. Verizon seems to be changing their update strategy for the Pixels, and now promises to "not stand in the way of any major updates." We've reached out to Google for comment and clarification.

Update: Verizon says its Pixels will get updates at the same time as Google’s | Ars Technica

Should be a relief to the folks who had to/wanted to order from Verizon.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully it's a good sign. Still a wait and see what actually happens. They could just be referring to security updates.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Hmm tempting. So if I buy from Bestbuy I can get next week (Verizon version) or keep my order at Google and get Nov 25..Since I won't root, etc, anything else I am missing? Will be using on T-Mobile.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmm tempting. So if I buy from Bestbuy I can get next week (Verizon version) or keep my order at Google and get Nov 25..Since I won't root, etc, anything else I am missing? Will be using on T-Mobile.

Just that you have to activate it on a Verizon account. If doing payments it's a new line or upgrade, if paying outright still requires activation then you can move it out.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully it's a good sign. Still a wait and see what actually happens. They could just be referring to security updates.

The article makes it pretty clear that they are talking about both security updates and full system updates. If Verizon stands by this, this is HUGE and only the most hardcore Google purists should have issues buying a Verizon model.

Id consider myself a pretty hardcore purist, but even I've got no worries pre-ordering a verizon model if this is true.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The article makes it pretty clear that they are talking about both security updates and full system updates. If Verizon stands by this, this is HUGE and only the most hardcore Google purists should have issues buying a Verizon model.

Id consider myself a pretty hardcore purist, but even I've got no worries pre-ordering a verizon model if this is true.
I agree the article seems to make it clear. Let's see what happens when put into practice :)

It will be a great thing for Android if Google accomplishes this with carriers.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Well I for one do not trust Verizon.... I hope VZW customers get the updates at the same time but....... This would not be the 1st time Verizon lied through their teeth about something..

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree the article seems to make it clear. Let's see what happens when put into practice :)

It will be a great thing for Android if Google accomplishes this with carriers.

And lets be honest, if the pixel line takes off this will also go a long way to fixing the fragmentation issue, especially if we see a good number of sales for the Pixel and see future pixels released through all carriers with the same update policy. May push other OEMs to get their sh-stuff together with updates and bloat.

ClusterPuck

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Now I am tempted to cancel my google order with Delivery on 11/15 and just go to VZW to get one next week.....ohhhhh noooo what to do believe and get it early or get sucker punched if not true!!

ClusterPuck

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
And lets be honest, if the pixel line takes off this will also go a long way to fixing the fragmentation issue, especially if we see a good number of sales for the Pixel and see future pixels released through all carriers with the same update policy. May push other OEMs to get their sh-stuff together with updates and bloat.

No doubt there has been negative articles plastered across the web with the headline DON'T BUY YOUR PIXEL FROM VERIZON. And it is probably no coincidence that only the Google Store has had stock issues. So, perhaps public pressure and the consumer purchase power has won on this case.

I also have a moto x, stuck on lolipop and never was given the update for HD Voice/VoLTE. So screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice.....

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Now I am tempted to cancel my google order with Delivery on 11/15 and just go to VZW to get one next week.....ohhhhh noooo what to do believe and get it early or get sucker punched if not true!!

Get it one week later, or get it early with potentially gimped updates. Honestly, I'd go with the former. You'll kick yourself down the road if Verizon goes back on their word, which would certainly not be the first time. Look at it this way. Verizon's history has been to delay updates, even for Google-branded devices. Those rare updates that arrived in a timely manner (like the Verizon-branded 2014 Moto X Lollipop update) stand out as anomalies. They certainly didn't change their ways then, why would you believe they'll adhere to this schedule now?

Until they have a proven track record of timely updates, I'd take this with a huge grain of salt. If they hold true to their promise, then maybe the 2017 Verizon Pixel phone will be a good buy.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
No doubt there has been negative articles plastered across the web with the headline DON'T BUY YOUR PIXEL FROM VERIZON. And it is probably no coincidence that only the Google Store has had stock issues. So, perhaps public pressure and the consumer purchase power has won on this case.

I totally agree. I think all the Android sites with that as their headline really woke Verizon up. Happy to see this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair