Does anyone else not care about a locked bootloader on Verizon?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If I buy hardware then I want to be able to tinker with the software, otherwise I feel like I merely bought an experience. I'm old and busy now so I don't switch roms every week but who knows what awesome grassroots app that needs root access might come out in the next two years, or maybe google will go in some draconian direction and try to eradicate torrents or 4chan like apple has. Root affords us a voice, and a voice is all we need to maintain freedom ;)

Buy from Google. Problem solved.

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Buy from Google. Problem solved.
There are many reasons why someone would buy from a carrier. In my case Verizon offers a discount on the monthly payments of the phone, which makes it cheaper in the long run. I can also trade it in after a year, even if I have to pay a few extra payments.

If I finance through Google, I loose the discount and I will also probably by upside down in the phone after a year.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There are many reasons why someone would buy from a carrier. In my case Verizon offers a discount on the monthly payments of the phone, which makes it cheaper in the long run. I can also trade it in after a year, even if I have to pay a few extra payments.

If I finance through Google, I loose the discount and I will also probably by upside down in the phone after a year.

But if tinkering is worth it to you, buy from the Google Store.

rbi411

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Whether you care or not, if you're going to be bled dry for a phone you might as well get the version that might have a higher resale value later.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I leave my Nexus devices completely stock. I do not see a need to unlock bootloaders anymore.

That said, I would still like to know for sure if Verizon is not going to hold up updates. So far we've heard it both ways: they will and they will not. Has either way been confirmed?

doxidad

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I leave my Nexus devices completely stock. I do not see a need to unlock bootloaders anymore.

That said, I would still like to know for sure if Verizon is not going to hold up updates. So far we've heard it both ways: they will and they will not. Has either way been confirmed?

FWIW - I have a Galaxy S7E and Verizon has pushed out a security update every month since I got it in March.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Whether you care or not, if you're going to be bled dry for a phone you might as well get the version that might have a higher resale value later.

If selling your phone is important to you.

My old phones end up as backups or hand-me-downs.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I am not a fan. I use Google messenger, and more recently Textra. Like many, I hope Google makes Allo relevant, because that would be the best of all worlds.

Verizon's messenger is great, but man do they need to work on the visual design. Every time I try to give it a chance I realize how much I hate how it looks.
Have you guys actually tried to customize the appearance of Messages+ app? I'm only asking because it can look just about any way you want it to. It has many different balloon and text box choices as well as setting the colors for your conversion. Also the option for any background you want to use.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Have you guys actually tried to customize the appearance of Messages+ app? I'm only asking because it can look just about any way you want it to. It has many different balloon and text box choices as well as setting the colors for your conversion. Also the option for any background you want to use.

I admittedly have not used it at all in a number of years. I am not aware of anything that it does differently from other options I use that I want. Texting from my PC I thought would be big, but I never used it. I am biased against using any of the Verizon apps, perhaps in this case without cause.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I admittedly have not used it at all in a number of years. I am not aware of anything that it does differently from other options I use that I want. Texting from my PC I thought would be big, but I never used it. I am biased against using any of the Verizon apps, perhaps in this case without cause.
The ability to text from your PC is nice, add to that your tablet (wifi or cellular) and don't forget about making and receiving phone calls through your tablet whether it's wifi or any other cellular service. You can attach your Verizon phone number to your tablet and WiFi call from it if you don't have cellular service on the tablet.

Here's the quote from the app on the play store:

"•Calling: Advanced Calling customers (eligibility rules apply) can link their phone number to the Verizon Messages app on their tablet or compatible smart watch and make and receive calls wherever they want on any network (cellular or Wi-Fi). "

This feature may not be a big deal to everyone of course, but I think Verizon has out done everyone with there messaging app.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The ability to text from your PC is nice, add to that your tablet (wifi or cellular) and don't forget about making and receiving phone calls through your tablet whether it's wifi or any other cellular service. You can attach your Verizon phone number to your tablet and WiFi call from it if you don't have cellular service on the tablet.

Here's the quote from the app on the play store:

"•Calling: Advanced Calling customers (eligibility rules apply) can link their phone number to the Verizon Messages app on their tablet or compatible smart watch and make and receive calls wherever they want on any network (cellular or Wi-Fi). "

This feature may not be a big deal to everyone of course, but I think Verizon has out done everyone with there messaging app.

I did not know that, and it is cool, but I cannot think of a time I had my tablet buy not my phone . . .

When my Pixel gets here I am going to use the stock app for a bit and see if there is anything that I miss about Textra. For the next couple days I am going to try the VZW app so I can have a more informed opinion. :)

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I kind of miss Xposed modules and switching up kernels all the time from back in my Nexus 4 days, but not enough that I'd give my ability to use Android Pay and access our corporate VPN by rooting my phone.

Plus, I'm old and have kids now. Who has the time to mess around like that anymore????

Momi7

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
In my opinion a locked bootloader is a good thing. If someone wants to root or use different ROM then why do it with a phone with vanilla Android? Buy some other cheap mobile for that.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion a locked bootloader is a good thing. If someone wants to root or use different ROM then why do it with a phone with vanilla Android? Buy some other cheap mobile for that.

I get what you're saying but back in the day I use to root and unlock my phone to gain features that I didn't have or simply to give myself an update to a phone that probably wouldn't get updates. The biggest reason I rooted though was because Android wasn't smooth or finessed yet. Now it is and there is no need to slap on a different ROM

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I get what you're saying but back in the day I use to root and unlock my phone to gain features that I didn't have or simply to give myself an update to a phone that probably wouldn't get updates. The biggest reason I rooted though was because Android wasn't smooth or finessed yet. Now it is and there is no need to slap on a different ROM

I haven't used an alternative ROM since the original DROID (shout out to Peter Alfonso/Bugless Beast).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci