Does anyone else not care about a locked bootloader on Verizon?

xxtdxx

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Not a diss or meant to be offensive by any means but I find it mildly annoying that all I hear is "don't get the Verizon model! Don't get the Verizon model!" I'm past the days of switching ROMs every other day and if google is handling the security updates, aren't those the most important updates in this day and age? I may not be in the majority but I typically get a new phone annually so if a new version of android comes out I'll probably get it on a new device next year. I left android in 2014 for the iPhone 6 because I didn't see anything intriguing but I'm so ready to pass my 7 plus to my wife and get back to android with a pixel XL.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm also not too terribly worried about that part because you don't need the bootloader unlocked to flash OTA scripts ... but um, WiFi calling is the only potential difference between the two and still needs to be confirmed whether or not Verizon's WiFi calling works on Pixels bought from Not Verizon. Otherwise they're seeming very interchangeable for how I typically use my phones. That said, both of mine are from Google and I have Verizon on two of my phones, so it's pretty much certain that a Verizon SIM is going in it at some point.

You're definitely not alone on that.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Not a diss or meant to be offensive by any means but I find it mildly annoying that all I hear is "don't get the Verizon model! Don't get the Verizon model!" I'm past the days of switching ROMs every other day and if google is handling the security updates, aren't those the most important updates in this day and age? I may not be in the majority but I typically get a new phone annually so if a new version of android comes out I'll probably get it on a new device next year. I left android in 2014 for the iPhone 6 because I didn't see anything intriguing but I'm so ready to pass my 7 plus to my wife and get back to android with a pixel XL.
Based on the comments to the articles about that, I'm guessing you are in the majority of not caring about bootloaders anymore, but for some reason that agenda keeps getting pushed by a certain author

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I too am done flashing ROMs. I just don't have the time to do it any longer, and the benefits I get from a custom ROM has much decreased over the years.

As far as getting the Verizon version, I thought I read somewhere that HD calling will require it. I could not find that reference quickly thought. I assume WiFi calling would be in a similar bucket.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Unless you are the type to stress about not being able to install a custom ROM on your phone, the bootloader being encrypted means absolutely nothing. 5 years ago, that would have pissed me off. Today I could care less. Stock android doesnt leave much to be desired from a custom rom anymore.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I haven't found a ROM worth using since the Galaxy S3. Got really tired of random stuff being broken, poor camera performance, etc. Also I'm old now and use my phone as my exclusive work phone, I dont have time to deal with it any more.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

I stopped rooting and caring about Roms since Marshmallow but it's still nice to have the option. That's why I went the unlocked route

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not going to be on Verizon but the locked bootloader wouldn't bother me since I haven't rooted in a long time. I just don't see a need for it anymore. Either that or I am lazy .. One of the two :D.

bmoguy

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

Pretty much my thinking too. I'm probably just getting old, I just want it to work. :)

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't care about rooting anymore so could care less about the boot loader. WiFi calling I only would use rarely, but still nice to have in those instances. I'd go unlocked but would go for the Verizon version only if WiFi calling was not doable in the Google Store model.

harrison17

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Be patient, but I've never purchased an unlocked phone or rooted one. I'd like to use my phone for a wifi hotspot occasionally. I'm on an old unlimited data Verizon plan. Do I need an unlocked bootloader to be able to do that without paying for some extra service from Verizon?

Lheajo Croce

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Here's my dilemma with Verizon and a locked bootloader: If you buy verizon, you will have bloatware which you cannot uninstall without root and if you buy from Google there will be no bloatware and no need for an unlocked bootloader to uninstall unwanted apps. Quite the conundrum.

All that aside, there will be a workaround to unlock the bootloader on verizon in time. So it's not really anything to worry about to begin with.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay