11-01-2016 09:30 PM
87 123 ...
tools
    Not a diss or meant to be offensive by any means but I find it mildly annoying that all I hear is "don't get the Verizon model! Don't get the Verizon model!" I'm past the days of switching ROMs every other day and if google is handling the security updates, aren't those the most important updates in this day and age? I may not be in the majority but I typically get a new phone annually so if a new version of android comes out I'll probably get it on a new device next year. I left android in 2014 for the iPhone 6 because I didn't see anything intriguing but I'm so ready to pass my 7 plus to my wife and get back to android with a pixel XL.
    Tyresian, tdizzel, bmoguy and 2 others like this.
    10-12-2016 12:02 PM
    I'm also not too terribly worried about that part because you don't need the bootloader unlocked to flash OTA scripts ... but um, WiFi calling is the only potential difference between the two and still needs to be confirmed whether or not Verizon's WiFi calling works on Pixels bought from Not Verizon. Otherwise they're seeming very interchangeable for how I typically use my phones. That said, both of mine are from Google and I have Verizon on two of my phones, so it's pretty much certain that a Verizon SIM is going in it at some point.

You're definitely not alone on that.
    10-12-2016 12:09 PM
    Not a diss or meant to be offensive by any means but I find it mildly annoying that all I hear is "don't get the Verizon model! Don't get the Verizon model!" I'm past the days of switching ROMs every other day and if google is handling the security updates, aren't those the most important updates in this day and age? I may not be in the majority but I typically get a new phone annually so if a new version of android comes out I'll probably get it on a new device next year. I left android in 2014 for the iPhone 6 because I didn't see anything intriguing but I'm so ready to pass my 7 plus to my wife and get back to android with a pixel XL.
    Based on the comments to the articles about that, I'm guessing you are in the majority of not caring about bootloaders anymore, but for some reason that agenda keeps getting pushed by a certain author
    10-12-2016 12:26 PM
    I too am done flashing ROMs. I just don't have the time to do it any longer, and the benefits I get from a custom ROM has much decreased over the years.

As far as getting the Verizon version, I thought I read somewhere that HD calling will require it. I could not find that reference quickly thought. I assume WiFi calling would be in a similar bucket.
    plumcrazy likes this.
    10-12-2016 12:31 PM
    Unless you are the type to stress about not being able to install a custom ROM on your phone, the bootloader being encrypted means absolutely nothing. 5 years ago, that would have pissed me off. Today I could care less. Stock android doesnt leave much to be desired from a custom rom anymore.
    raqball and SteelGator like this.
    10-12-2016 12:48 PM
    Based on the comments to the articles about that, I'm guessing you are in the majority of not caring about bootloaders anymore, but for some reason that agenda keeps getting pushed by a certain author
    George RR Martin?
    WillYammer likes this.
    10-12-2016 01:08 PM
    I haven't found a ROM worth using since the Galaxy S3. Got really tired of random stuff being broken, poor camera performance, etc. Also I'm old now and use my phone as my exclusive work phone, I dont have time to deal with it any more.
    10-12-2016 01:08 PM
    George RR Martin?
    Don't be ridiculous, he has not written anything in forever . . . .

still frustrated the HBO is now ahead of the books.
    Aquila likes this.
    10-12-2016 01:17 PM
    I stopped rooting and caring about Roms since Marshmallow but it's still nice to have the option. That's why I went the unlocked route
    10-12-2016 01:19 PM
    I am not going to be on Verizon but the locked bootloader wouldn't bother me since I haven't rooted in a long time. I just don't see a need for it anymore. Either that or I am lazy .. One of the two .
    10-12-2016 01:25 PM
    Pretty much my thinking too. I'm probably just getting old, I just want it to work.
    10-12-2016 01:26 PM

Good point.
    SteelGator likes this.
    10-12-2016 01:28 PM

I don't know. Season 6 was pretty amazing.
    SteelGator likes this.
    10-12-2016 01:32 PM
    I haven't ROMed my phone since the S3, so nope! Still bought through the Google Store, though.
    NexusNick123 likes this.
    10-12-2016 01:36 PM
    I don't know. Season 6 was pretty amazing.
    I'm not watching, I don't enjoy reading after watching and reading is still better.

George and Patrick Rothfuss are both on my shhhtuff list until they get their next book out.
    10-12-2016 01:43 PM
    Agreed completely.
    10-12-2016 01:44 PM
    Don't care about rooting anymore so could care less about the boot loader. WiFi calling I only would use rarely, but still nice to have in those instances. I'd go unlocked but would go for the Verizon version only if WiFi calling was not doable in the Google Store model.
    10-12-2016 02:02 PM
    I understand why.

It doesn't bother me.
    10-12-2016 02:06 PM
    Be patient, but I've never purchased an unlocked phone or rooted one. I'd like to use my phone for a wifi hotspot occasionally. I'm on an old unlimited data Verizon plan. Do I need an unlocked bootloader to be able to do that without paying for some extra service from Verizon?
    10-12-2016 06:11 PM
    Here's my dilemma with Verizon and a locked bootloader: If you buy verizon, you will have bloatware which you cannot uninstall without root and if you buy from Google there will be no bloatware and no need for an unlocked bootloader to uninstall unwanted apps. Quite the conundrum.

All that aside, there will be a workaround to unlock the bootloader on verizon in time. So it's not really anything to worry about to begin with.
    10-12-2016 07:06 PM
    Verizon's bloatware can be uninstalled.
    10-12-2016 07:09 PM
    The really big issues for the people who say "don't get the verizon model" are the added blaotware (although it's better than it used to be. Also, most people don't buy a new phone every year - it's too expensive and disruptive. So, system upgrades are a big deal, even though it's not as bad as if they were also handling security updates.
    10-12-2016 08:38 PM
    I am not going to be on Verizon but the locked bootloader wouldn't bother me since I haven't rooted in a long time. I just don't see a need for it anymore. Either that or I am lazy .. One of the two .
    The unlocked bootloader isn't the bigest issue, in my opinion. But, I don't want their bloatware, and I'm tired of waiting for the carries to allow me to get new features. Verizon has a really bad reputation in that respect.

For a lot of people, though financing is going to be an issue, though.
    10-12-2016 08:41 PM
    The unlocked bootloader isn't the bigest issue, in my opinion. But, I don't want their bloatware, and I'm tired of waiting for the carries to allow me to get new features. Verizon has a really bad reputation in that respect.

For a lot of people, though financing is going to be an issue, though.
    It is 3 uninstallable apps.
    10-12-2016 08:45 PM
    I keep hearing talk of WiFi calling and Verizon. I thought Verizons network is super great and touched every part of the earth, who needs Wifi. Okay, Sarcasm off, I personally agree with those that don't have a desire to change ROMS. I use to do it daily but not anymore. Then again, I now have Apple and don't have that concern, but I still like to keep up with the current state of devices.
    10-12-2016 09:13 PM
87 123 ...