iPhone vs Pixel XL...

JakeMcGovern

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
So guys... Of course I had my note 7 pre ordered but that went down the drain pretty quick. I'm really tempted to grab the iPhone 7 plus but then the pixel is intriguing me... I'm coming from a note 3 what are your views?

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
iPhone has the new best screen on a smartphone, Pixel has the new best camera on a smartphone. What do you like about each?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I would suggest waiting for the XL to be released and for the reviews to be published. That’ll give you a good basis to see if you would really want to go with the Pixel XL or 7Plus. Also worth keeping in mind is the ecosystem you are already entrenched in. If you are considering the 7Plus and currently use and Android device, then the transition may not be that big of a problem since many of Google’s apps are on iOS. However, doing the reverse is more difficult since iOS (Apple) apps are not on Android.

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
iPhone has the new best screen on a smartphone

Well, technically that is your opinion, not a fact. On paper, the Pixel XL screen wins on specs alone:
Google Pixel XL: 5.5in 2560x1440, 534ppi
iPhone 7 Plus: 5.5in 1920x1080 at 401ppi

Some people prefer AMOLED, some the LED backlit of the iPhone 7. Both are great.

Both camera's are excellent, and won't disappoint.

IMO, the choice comes down to OS and integration. Personally, I prefer Android, and all of the new features Google is offering with this new phone. Unlimited full-res storage, Google Assistant, and all the other google apps.

Coming from a Note 3, you will likely acclimate to the Pixel XL faster than you would the iPhone.

Harry Lyme

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
The Apple Operating system is a lot like what AOL and CompuServe were pseudo internet. It was a synthetic Internet. You were in their reality and not the real web. Apple control's everything from software to what you see. No one wants to talk about this. With Google you are out there in the real Web! I repudiate any thing trying to control me. I purchased in 2006 a Apple Laptop, its still in the closet in a box. I need to put it in the trash. I have 6 ipods, most given as presents, however I am trapped with itunes. In my cars I use thumbnail usb's with all my music on them. I getting far away from Apple. I strongly feel Google will dominate in the very near future.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That is your opinion, not a fact. On paper, the Pixel XL screen wins on specs alone:

Some people prefer AMOLED, some the LED backlit of the iPhone 7. Both are great.

The resolution is higher on the Pixel XL, but the display is the best on the iPhone 7 and 7+. It's the most accurate display anyone has put out so far. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10685/the-iphone-7-and-iphone-7-plus-review/2

The Pixel XL has not been had it's display results published, but when they do so it'll have to be done in the sRGB mode in the dev options because the default setting targets the wrong color gamut entirely. The iPhone 7+ display supports DCI-P3 standards.

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
The resolution is higher on the Pixel XL, but the display is the best on the iPhone 7 and 7+. It's the most accurate display anyone has put out so far. The Pixel XL has not been had it's display results published, but when they do so it'll have to be done in the sRGB mode in the dev options because the default setting targets the wrong color gamut entirely. The iPhone 7+ display supports DCI-P3 standards.

Where can one find these tests? Always good to learn more.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The resolution is higher on the Pixel XL, but the display is the best on the iPhone 7 and 7+. It's the most accurate display anyone has put out so far. Display - The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus Review: Iterating on a Flagship

The Pixel XL has not been had it's display results published, but when they do so it'll have to be done in the sRGB mode in the dev options because the default setting targets the wrong color gamut entirely. The iPhone 7+ display supports DCI-P3 standards.
Are you not going to be able to change the color tone on the Pixel XL? I read somewhere it was significantly "cooler" in temperature than Samsung or Apple. Being able to adjust that is important.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you not going to be able to change the color tone on the Pixel XL? I read somewhere it was significantly "cooler" in temperature than Samsung or Apple. Being able to adjust that is important.

The Pixel XL comes with it's default settings calibrated to NTSC and has an sRGB mode to make it more accurate. It does not have the ability to customize the settings, such as with sliders.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The resolution is higher on the Pixel XL, but the display is the best on the iPhone 7 and 7+. It's the most accurate display anyone has put out so far. The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus Review: Iterating on a Flagship

Well. I would say that for many folks, the "most accurate" display is not necessarily the best display. IMO, most actually prefer the more colorful (inaccurate) AMOLED displays by Samsung over just about any IPS display. Count me in that crowd too :) I have friends with iPhones. My Note 7 display is much better , but not more accurate :)

So just because the iPhone may be more accurate, does not mean people will like how it looks better. Certainly some do feel that way, and probably a bigger % here at Hogwarts. But for normal folks, in my experience, they prefer more colorful displays to more "accurate" displays.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Well. I would say that for many folks, the "most accurate" display is not necessarily the best display. IMO, most actually prefer the more colorful (inaccurate) AMOLED displays by Samsung over just about any IPS display. Count me in that crowd too :)

I have friends with iPhones. My Note 7 display is much better , but not more accurate :)

I've had both, and no it isn't.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well. I would say that for many folks, the "most accurate" display is not necessarily the best display. IMO, most actually prefer the more colorful (inaccurate) AMOLED displays by Samsung over just about any IPS display. Count me in that crowd too :)

I have friends with iPhones. My Note 7 display is much better , but not more accurate :)

You're absolutely correct, I'm definitely talking about what can be compared, not preferences. MOST people prefer display modes on their phones that are less accurate than even the most accurate mode that their device may have (in the case of Samsung). I have a 6P and my wife likes the default settings more than the sRGB mode, but I start getting weirded out when it's not on sRGB.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, technically that is your opinion, not a fact. On paper, the Pixel XL screen wins on specs alone:

Both camera's are excellent, and won't disappoint.

IMO, the choice comes down to OS and integration. Personally, I prefer Android, and all of the new features Google is offering with this new phone. Unlimited full-res storage, Google Assistant, and all the other google apps.

Coming from a Note 3, you will likely acclimate to the Pixel XL faster than you would the iPhone.

Having used the s7 edge and the note 7 and iPhone 7 plus, they all look fine to me. Yes the iPhone 7 plus has a lower resolution and PPI but for me I couldn't really tell.

duratime

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
My experience with iPhone is that the text in the apps looks more clear to me, but when looking at pictures or videos (especially videos), my Nexus 6p and my old Galaxy S6E look clearer and more life like.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers