Google Trade in or Trade up program

What do you think about a google sponsored trade in plan for nexus devices.

• Total voters

kcoan3

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
How many people would be interested in being able to get the latest pixel(nexus) device every year from google? Do we think there is any chance that they do an apple like, new iphone every year plan from google? Do you think that after the dust settles down that google will setup a trade in or trade up plan?

My idea was that for people who have nexus devices already like the 6, 6p and 5x could get a discount this year and then be enrolled in the yearly program for the years after.

I just wanted to get the conversation started so maybe we can get some traction and get some attention.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
How many people would be interested in being able to get the latest pixel(nexus) device every year from google? Do we think there is any chance that they do an apple like, new iphone every year plan from google? Do you think that after the dust settles down that google will setup a trade in or trade up plan?

My idea was that for people who have nexus devices already like the 6, 6p and 5x could get a discount this year and then be enrolled in the yearly program for the years after.

I just wanted to get the conversation started so maybe we can get some traction and get some attention.

I could see something like this happening, if not next year, within 2 years.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
First off, the poll title implies a different question than your post. The former appears to indicate a trade-up from the (now obsolescent) Nexus, which would basically limit it to strictly this year, while the latter asks about it as an ongoing system for upgrades.

In either event, I don't think there's a large financial incentive for Google to do it - as Google. Carriers do this all the time, but with the knowledge that they are for the most part ensuring the service revenue from their customers for another 1-2 years (sure, people could cancel and just pay off the balance of a phone, but most don't).

That said, I could very easily see this type of a program as being viable from their Project Fi service (and eventually offered - but not before the next (2017) generation is issued or they'd tick off a TON of those who've already ordered the current crop).

But getting to answering the question, I'd be very interested, and likely to upgrade on an annual basis if it was a reasonable credit (enough to not make it much more attractive to simply sell the old device).

Todd Simon

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
This is a great idea and I'd be interested. I don't normally upgrade every year, but I would like to. It would be okay to splurge once a year around this time to get the newest and greatest from Google. It ultimately builds brand loyalty and shows the customers you are committed to them long term.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I could see it working for Project fi. Let's say you are already on a payment plan. Let someone turn in their existing phone if 12 payments have been made already and call it a wash so that no further payments are due--just switch to the new phone and payment plan. Project fi sends you a new phone and you start paying at the new price, and you get a UPS label for returning your old phone in the same shipping box. If the phone isn't in average condition when returned Google tacks on a surcharge on your Project fi bill. Would be a great way to encourage adoption of the latest and greatest, and probably be a way to also offer a lower tier "factory refurbished" phone to entice people to try out Project fi. Though, I think fi is really an experiment on Google's part to figure out how they can best leverage mobile for their goal of vacuuming up every bit of info on everyone. They don't really intend on making money with fi directly.

Harry Lyme

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
I don't see a "trade up" program ever happening. It doesn't make sense under Fi. There is a small profit being made by Fi and its going to bet a litter bigger due to the true cost of the Pixel phones. The 5X and 6P were given away by Google to get Fi off the ground. Its airborne now. Service is cheap as chips and phones will be set without subsidization. They are first a "phone"company and must bring in revenue to cover all overhead and make a profit.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Even if they were to throw away the returned device and only get effectively 1/2 the retail paid over time on the new, they'd still be making a decent hardware profit. It's a pretty safe bet that their cost to manufacture (even after R&D) is less than 1/2 the retail pricing. The fact that they could refurbish returned units either for sale or for use under warranty/extended warranty replacement provides considerable utility for the returned devices. And keeping people on Fi allows them to collect a great deal more user information, a high value unto itself for the greater nature of Google's business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol