How will the Pixel XL compare to the 7 Plus?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Why come back and try to give a legitimate response after already showing off the jerk in you?

a) it was clearly a joke b) the OP and everyone else seems to understand that c) if you have any questions or issues with my posts, or that of any moderator, feel free to shoot me a PM. I guarantee that gets a better response than calling moderators jerks, etc.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
That doesn't make sense. If you got a warranty replacement device it wouldn't matter. As long as your returning a phone back to us we should be able to do the exchange as long as its no later than 14days. You said you got your replacement device from Apple? Like went into a store or did you call them?

Went into the Apple Store

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking about getting a Pixel now, but I expect a big change to the iPhone next year (10 year anniversary) so I may lean that way then. Just depends.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Ironically enough, as the owner of a Nexus 6P, I'm thinking about the possibility of switching to iOS. I'm quite sour on the fact that Google is charging iPhone level prices for an unproven device with marginal internal upgrades over its predecessor. To me, the Pixel XL offers very little to justify paying $1000+ when all is said and done, including accessories and state taxes.

A smaller screen, no upgrade in battery capacity, still no OIS for the camera, and the loss of dual stereo speakers with no mention of a DAC for bottom speaker at the keynote, in terms of a demo of the sound. So what exactly would I be paying for with a Pixel XL that would wow me?

Having said that, like I've said before, if I were to win a Pixel XL, I'd gladly take the opportunity to be proven wrong. Otherwise, if I wanted an iPhone, I'd buy the real deal, not a wannabe iPhone running Android. 😐 My concern with iOS as my iPhone devotee (she's also used Android) best friend tells me is that it's so locked down, and that I'd have to be tethered to my computer.

Personally.. I second saying to not get rid of your 6p.

Your absolutely correct in your feelings about the price factor between the devices. Most of us 6p users feel the same way.

Now, that aside just looking at the the difference between the two the 7+ is the win. Yup.. Looks alone.. and how you interact with it. How it makes you feel. Apple has this because it's designed to from the start. It has more accessories available for it and that fact alone sells it to many.

The difference between the os's is negligible when it all said and done and no one is really tied to the desktop anymore unless you want to be. I know plenty of people who do not own a desktop and use their iPhone for everything so it is very doable and getting easier everyday.

Now.. real value for your expenditures.. meaning resale of your phone and getting your money back out of it... I think we both know the answer to this one..

Now day to day usage.. This is the one that requires you to determine if switching matters.. Can you learn how to use it effectively for your needs, and can you be happy not to change it as much? These are the biggies since we are so used to making the phone look like we want it to, and the way we work within Google. I've been using the 6plus now for some time and it does take some time to get used to it.. But I understand now why folks love ios as much as they do.. It doesn't change a lot and so it is fairly easy to use.

I love my 6p and all it does and just as importantly how it looks. It's a beautiful piece of equipment. I like Nugat as well and how it has improved the experience but I also know that the XL isn't going to give me the same experience so I refuse to spend that much money on it.

The new iPhone is a great piece of hardware.. and while some will argue that the XL is too, it just doesn't offer enough for what you are getting or what you will get back out of it.

I say wait till next year unless your 6p breaks.. and I say this for a few reasons.. Price.. Features.. Design..

By this time next year we will see what Google and Apple are offering. Apple will be refreshing it's iPhone and it's IOS and we will see which direction Google is going to go. Their track record isn't the greatest for projects as you well know.. and they have caught a lot of flack on this phones design already..

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have two lines, w/one being an iPhone 7+, and the other will be the Pixel when I get it end of this week. If you're still wondering a week from now, let me know and I'll post how I think they're stacking up.

I, for one, would like to hear how they compare. I have a good idea how they will, but I would still like to hear it from someone who has them both.

Last edited:

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
a) it was clearly a joke b) the OP and everyone else seems to understand that c) if you have any questions or issues with my posts, or that of any moderator, feel free to shoot me a PM. I guarantee that gets a better response than calling moderators jerks, etc.

There was not any way to know you were a moderator from that comment. And, it's just kind of irritating to hear people continually be disingenuous in forums or anywhere else for that matter when it comes to internet interaction. Although others may have known you were joking, none of them hit ”LOL.”

I'm not trying to be rude or mean, but I just think that when people (op) take the time to ask a question, the first response should NOT be a sarcastic unfunny joke. It's like you're saying, ”i have nothing meaningful to say, but I'm first to say nothing ha ha ha!”

JoinTheBattle

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
It honestly comes down to personal preference. If the customization and more open nature of Android appeals to you, then you may like the Pixel. If customization and openness don't really appeal to you, you may or may not like the Pixel. Some people want a simple phone that just works well and iPhone is great for that. Others want more options, more customization, and more features. That's where Android comes in and the Pixel phones should be the purest Android experience on the market.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There was not any way to know you were a moderator from that comment. And, it's just kind of irritating to hear people continually be disingenuous in forums or anywhere else for that matter when it comes to internet interaction. Although others may have known you were joking, none of them hit ”LOL.”

I'm not trying to be rude or mean, but I just think that when people (op) take the time to ask a question, the first response should NOT be a sarcastic unfunny joke. It's like you're saying, ”i have nothing meaningful to say, but I'm first to say nothing ha ha ha!”
Sounds good :)

Silly Putty

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
This is an excellent point, and one I don't often see brought up. While iOS devices see faster OS updates overall and tend to be supported longer, the Apple built in apps ONLY get updated during those OS updates.

So if Mail , Facetime, iMessage, etc need an update and someone is using iOS 10, that feature won't arrive likely until iOS 11.

On Android, all of Google apps are split out from the OS, and do get updated constantly with new features and fixes (Maps, photos, Gmail, YouTube, etc).

You can join Apple's Public Beta program if you want faster updates.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I, for one, would like to hear how they compare. I have a good idea how they will, but I would still like to hear it from someone who has them both.

It's arriving Thursday night for me so I'll try to remember to post first impressions. If I forget I'll definitely post this weekend. Looking forward to it!!

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I have not owned an iPhone since the 4S. Have been on Android since the nexus one.

This year I find the iPhone is superior to any Android device. I am rocking the 6P and debating to get the 7+, my love for Android is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site
A few initial thoughts...

My Pixel XL (black, 256GB, Verizon) arrived today via UPS. Got home from work a short time ago, and got it all set up. I already have an iPhone 7 Plus that I use for work, so I'm able to compare the two phones.

To be completely honest, I was initially disappointed with the feel of the Pixel XL compared to my iPhone. However, that's probably not a fair comparison, as the iPhone 7 build quality and feel is in a different league compared to every other phone, except for maybe the late, great Note 7. When considered only on it's own, the Pixel XL feels fine.

The display is pretty good on the Pixel XL - sharper text, and brighter when compared to the iPhone 7, which itself has a great display. Performance overall on the Pixel is super smooth. It's well after sunset here, so not much to say about the camera yet. Also can't comment on the battery life - that will take some time to see how it settles down. The fingerprint reader is super-fast, no issues there.

I watched some Netflix and YouTube - all fine, but I did turn off Adaptive Display in Display Settings - in a darker room, it tends to take the brightness lower than is ideal. WIFI performance seems solid, no disconnections and speed/ping on SpeedTest.net is excellent. Fingers-crossed that LTE performance when I'm out tomorrow is equally good.

I plan to take it into work tomorrow alongside my iPhone, to compare battery and to snap some photos. Will post more later.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
A few initial thoughts...

My Pixel XL (black, 256GB, Verizon) arrived today via UPS. Got home from work a short time ago, and got it all set up. I already have an iPhone 7 Plus that I use for work, so I'm able to compare the two phones.

To be completely honest, I was initially disappointed with the feel of the Pixel XL compared to my iPhone. However, that's probably not a fair comparison, as the iPhone 7 build quality and feel is in a different league compared to every other phone, except for maybe the late, great Note 7. When considered only on it's own, the Pixel XL feels fine.

The display is pretty good on the Pixel XL - sharper text, and brighter when compared to the iPhone 7, which itself has a great display. Performance overall on the Pixel is super smooth. It's well after sunset here, so not much to say about the camera yet. Also can't comment on the battery life - that will take some time to see how it settles down. The fingerprint reader is super-fast, no issues there.

I watched some Netflix and YouTube - all fine, but I did turn off Adaptive Display in Display Settings - in a darker room, it tends to take the brightness lower than is ideal. WIFI performance seems solid, no disconnections and speed/ping on SpeedTest.net is excellent. Fingers-crossed that LTE performance when I'm out tomorrow is equally good.

I plan to take it into work tomorrow alongside my iPhone, to compare battery and to snap some photos. Will post more later.

Thank you for the comparison. Can't wait for you to compare battery on both

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Quick shot in low light in my car. Will take some real photos tomorrow.

8eaa70d97d75c63b56c6bf263513c655.jpg

bennu901

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I just traded my note 7 in for a iPhone 7 plus although I've had android and iPhones at the same time for the last 3 years, this is the first time I've had iOS only (5 days) and I must say I'm getting pretty adjusted to using iOS as my daily driver. I'm actually wondering if it's worth going to the pixel myself... having the iPhone for the last 5 days it's refreshing to have no lag

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
As promised, some (very brief) first impressions (still busy having fun playing with it!):

The 'quite black' color is very stealth....I'm liking the looks more than I thought I would. Biggest gripe: that upper glass part on the back is a real fingerprint magnet.

Screen is excellent.

This guy is FAST... Animations aren't just smooth, they are really really quick as well as smooth...

Live wallpapers are a great thing

And the camera looks like it's going to live up to its reputation. You probably can't appreciate this picture fully without knowing how truly dim the room was it was taken in, but, my jaw dropped when I saw how bright it came out.

As far as comparison w/my iPhone 7: the animations are as smooth as the iPhone's, but make the iPhone's animations feel quite leisurely paced. The overall effect is to make it feel speedier to me. Less volume on the speaker, but it has a good sound despite that. Even on max volume no distortion. Still early with the camera, but this first shot certainly has me thinking the Pixel's might be better. We'll see after a few days...

IMG_20161020_210628.jpg

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
"Rooting and install custom ROM" not a reason or main stream Android users. Most people do not root...ever.
Also any phone that is close to or is near stock "Pixel judgement withstanding" does not sell well compare to other Android phones.

People say they want stock only on these forums. Most others just want their phone to work and they'll put their own launcher and or widgets on their phone to make it theirs.

Android for Google services and the ability to make the phone your own that's pretty much it.
To say one is better than the other is personal preference. Be a boss and just get two phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1