I'm curious, what can I expect from using a pure Google phone?

Helloneumann

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had Android for years, most recently the awesome but combustible N7, lol, returned it today. What I'd like to know is what can I expect from using a pure Google phone? This will be my first and I'm looking forward to it. Are there going to be any real big differences? I'd also appreciate any feed back on any bodies first experience with a Google phone. Thanks.

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: I'm curious

You know all those little things that Samsung brags about and then people comment on saying they hate touchwiz? Always on display, theme engines, rounded icons, etc. Those will be gone, but it should be a little tiny bit faster.

Some things like the themes can probably be brought back with an app, others like the note7 blue light filter have been baked into android.

http://bfy.tw/8CQp

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

I've had Android for years, most recently the awesome but combustible N7, lol, returned it today. What I'd like to know is what can I expect from using a pure Google phone? This will be my first and I'm looking forward to it. Are there going to be any real big differences? I'd also appreciate any feed back on any bodies first experience with a Google phone. Thanks.

Like fast and latest Android update? Get a Pixel then.

Like fast and smooth Android experience?
Get a Pixel then.

Do you like tinkering and installed custom ROM on your phone?
Get a Pixel then. (But don't get Verizon version)

Well, basically these would be the basic reason why people would choose Pixel/Nexus than other Android phones. ;)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Like fast and latest Android update? Get a Pixel then.

Like fast and smooth Android experience?
Get a Pixel then.

Do you like tinkering and installed custom ROM on your phone?
Get a Pixel then. (But don't get Verizon version)

Well, basically these would be the basic reason why people would choose Pixel/Nexus than other Android phones. ;)

Add Google Assistant, cool Nougat quick actions with 7.1, Doze 2.0 improvements (hopefully), Unlimited photo storage on Google Photos at full res, split screen that will work for most apps (not just a few like Samsung's implementation), some useful notification priority settings, and what might just be another great camera that might actually match or surpass Samsungs (we will see, I love my N7 camera).

On the other hand, it has no waterproofing, no Wireless charging, no AoD , no Samsung Pay, no SD card slot on the downside. Maybe the rear fingerprint scanner (for me it's a minor negative having to pick up the phone off the desk every time to unlock).

Comparing specifically to the Note 7, you also lose the s-Pen, the edge panels (which I surprisingly found quite useful), the larger screen, the greater base storage(64GB base), iris scanner, and secure folder.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Transitioning to the Nexus 5X was an interesting and at times frustrating experience. I discovered that small things I relied on like call blocking and photo editing in the gallery were features added by the OEM (not part of Android). To recapture those functions you have to install third party apps (Google phone dialer now includes call blocking).

While it was annoying at first, I discovered easy to use, feature rich (and free) apps to do these things. In a few cases I bought apps (Manual Camera) but I used my Google promo credit that came with purchasing the phone (thanks Google).

That aside, the Nexus experience has been very positive. The phones run smoothly. It's rare for me to see the phones slow down. I buy the carrier free version from the Google Store. And it was amazing to see so few pre-installed apps (just Google products which I already use). It's always been a frustration to have apps on a carrier phone that I can't uninstall (only disable). I paid for the phone. I should be able to do that.

And I would say that this is the crux of the Google phone experience. It's your phone. You can do what you want with it.

Last edited:

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

A few big things that I noticed going from Samsung to Nexus 6P was.

1. There's none of the added features like the gestures. I didn't use many of them and the ones I did use there's alternatives too it... Like on Samsung, turning the phone over to silence the rig tone... It's just as easy to hit the volume down button.

2. There's no separate mail app that supports exchange. I know Gmail supports exchange now but I don't like using Gmail for exchange and I like to keep my work and personal mail in separate apps. But I use Nine now for exchange mail... I really like Nine and the best part it works on any Android phone so I don't have to worry about going without it when I switch phones again.

3. Running a Nexus with near stock Android is the smoothest experience I've ever had on an android phone.

4. After I factory reset my Nexus 6P and add my Google account back in... Not only does it restore my apps but it also restores the layout of my home screens exactly to the way they were, with all my applications and widgets where I had them. I sure hope the Pixels are the same way... This makes it so much easier to do a factory reset, especially with unlimited photo backup now too with the Pixel.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

Transitioning to the Nexus 5X was an interesting and at times frustrating experience. I discovered that small things I relied on like call blocking and photo editing in the gallery were features added by the OEM (not part of Android). To recapture those functions you have to install third party apps (Google phone dialer no includes call blocking).

While it was annoying at first, I discovered easy to use, feature rich (and free) apps to do these things. In a few cases I bought apps (Manual Camera) but I used my Google promo credit that came with purchasing the phone (thanks Google).

That aside, the Nexus experience has been very positive. The phones run smoothly. It's rare for me to see the phones slow down. I buy the carrier free version from the Google Store. And it was amazing to see so few pre-installed apps (just Google products which I already use). It's always been a frustration to have apps on a carrier phone that I can't uninstall (only disable). I paid for the phone. I should be able to do that.

And I would say that this is the crux of the Google phone experience. It's your phone. You can do what you want with it.

I have call blocking on my Nexus 6.

Helloneumann

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to the experience, I've had Sammy for the last 4-5 years. Out of the box any recommendations, if any, I should do?

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
A few big things that I noticed going from Samsung to Nexus 6P was.

1. There's none of the added features like the gestures. I didn't use many of them and the ones I did use there's alternatives too it... Like on Samsung, turning the phone over to silence the rig tone... It's just as easy to hit the volume down button.

2. There's no separate mail app that supports exchange. I know Gmail supports exchange now but I don't like using Gmail for exchange and I like to keep my work and personal mail in separate apps. But I use Nine now for exchange mail... I really like Nine and the best part it works on any Android phone so I don't have to worry about going without it when I switch phones again.

3. Running a Nexus with near stock Android is the smoothest experience I've ever had on an android phone.

4. After I factory reset my Nexus 6P and add my Google account back in... Not only does it restore my apps but it also restores the layout of my home screens exactly to the way they were, with all my applications and widgets where I had them. I sure hope the Pixels are the same way... This makes it so much easier to do a factory reset, especially with unlimited photo backup now too with the Pixel.
I like using Microsoft Outlook on my Note 5.

You'll be losing a lot of features. Depends on whether the features matter to you or not.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I like using Microsoft Outlook on my Note 5.

I tried the Outlook app before I went to Nine. Two big things I didn't like about it.

1. I don't like the Focus tab, and especially since they make it the default one it opens up to... I don't need/want Outlook telling me what to focus on.

2. The Outlook calendar does not integrate with the phone calendar... So I can't aggregate my Outlook calendar with Gmail and other calendars on my phone. And I use an great calendar widget that the Outlook app doesn't work with because of this. This was a deal breaker for me.

Helloneumann

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
does anyone know if all carriers will be following the "first from google" update procedure, like the nexus line?

The only carrier you can buy the Pixel from is Verizon, and they say you will get the updates when Google sends them. You have to buy the unlocked version from Google store to use on the other carriers. Buying from the Google store will also work on Verizon.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
You will have everything you need to use the phone just not all the Samsung stuff, like the gestures, and their apps. For every stock Samsung phone app there is a Google alternative such as the Calculator, Calendar and email. The Google phones don't include the battery percentage that you can enable in the normal settings. You have to enable it in developer options and it's still not the same ( I actually like the Samsung implementation better.)

In stock Android you had to download an app to have a different lockscreen wallpaper, but with 7.0 it's built in like Touchwiz. In the email app on Samsung phones, the lowest you can set the interval to check email is 15 minutes, on stock Android it's 5 minutes. Whenever I've had a stock Android phone and a Samsung phone, my emails always came faster on the stock phone. The Samsung camera app has much more options.

I think it just depends on what you liked to use on the Samsung phones. I like the theme store that Samsung had, but it was only because I could choose a marshmallow, stock looking theme. Those are some of the things I remember, other than what's already been posted about. I'm a stock Android guy, but there are still some features on Samsung phones I like better.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
The only carrier you can buy the Pixel from is Verizon, and they say you will get the updates when Google sends them. You have to buy the unlocked version from Google store to use on the other carriers. Buying from the Google store will also work on Verizon.

The Verizon Pixel should work on all networks. The only exception may be Sprint. Verizon doesn't lock their sim cards.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
What I'd like to know is what can I expect from using a pure Google phone?

It will work... not just by itself, but with the rest of Android (Auto, Wear, all 3rd party apps, etc.), and without the unexpected glitches. While there are a lot of features Sammy crams into a Galaxy you may miss, much of it gets in the way of other things behaving as they should. Of course this isn't limited to just Samsung (many heavily skinned versions of Android can cause other apps to misbehave as there just is not enough testing done), but they are usually the worst offender.

droidiac13

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Does the stock email allow for peak and off peak fetching of email? That drove me nuts when I had the 5x. I like that feature on Samsung. I'm going to truly miss my Note 7. Loved everything about it. I'm sad to read that there aren't as many functions with the stock Android camera app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech