Does anyone know the pixel arrangement on the display?

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
5.5 inches
QHD AMOLED at 534ppi
2.5D Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4

100% NTSC
100000:1, super contrast ratio
True black level
Full 24-bits depth or 16.77 million colors
Less than 40% brightness decrease at 30 degree viewing angle

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't matter on either because of the size and resolutions involved. 5.0 1080p would be fine and 5.5 1440p would also be fine.

The only one that I recall recently being an issue was the 5.5 1080p.

But not sure if it is or not.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know the pixel arrangement on the display? If its PenTile I'll likely return or cancel.
2012 called. It wants its pentile hate back.
Seriously, even if it is pentile, there is about one one thousandth of a percent chance that you'll notice. If no one can give you a definitive answer then you'll never be able to tell.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
2012 called. It wants its pentile hate back.
Seriously, even if it is pentile, there is about one one thousandth of a percent chance that you'll notice. If no one can give you a definitive answer then you'll never be able to tell.

At 401 ppi I notice first boot. Text clarity is important to me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They are the same resolution with the Pixel having a higher PPI.

I think they may have been referring to the Pixel XL with 1440p at 534 PPI. The Pixel is 1080p with 440 PPI. The OP3 is 1080p with 400 PPI.

1440p is 1.777777777... lots of sevens more pixels than 1080p.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Technically. It's also 518 ppi to Google Pixels 441. A few more days and I will see if it will work.

But it's still pentile. My whole point is that you shouldn't judge a display just because its "pentile" because at this point that is probably the least important factor as to if it's a good display.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
But it's still pentile. My whole point is that you shouldn't judge a display just because its "pentile" because at this point that is probably the least important factor as to if it's a good display.

The most important feature of a display to me is the clarity of text. The only displays that seem to have fuzzy edged text is pentile. Hopefully the ppi is dense enough to where the pixel arrangement which typically causes the fuzzy text is too small to notice.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
The most important feature of a display to me is the clarity of text. The only displays that seem to have fuzzy edged text is pentile.
And then there's the Note 5 which you didn't even seem to know is pentile. Like I said, at this point, pentile is a nonfactor in display quality. The pentile hate really needs to be left back in 2012. The pentile problems have been overcome. Its up to manufacturers if they want to prioritize clarity, but it has zero to do with pentile. If you want to question the clarity of a display, I agree 1000% that you should since that's what matters to you. Just place the blame where it belongs, and its not because of pentile.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
And then there's the Note 5 which you didn't even seem to know is pentile. Like I said, at this point, pentile is a nonfactor in display quality. The pentile hate really needs to be left back in 2012. The pentile problems have been overcome. Its up to manufacturers if they want to prioritize clarity, but it has zero to do with pentile. If you want to question the clarity of a display, I agree 1000% that you should since that's what matters to you. Just place the blame where it belongs, and its not because of pentile.

I was fully aware of the diamond pentile display of the Note 5. I'm also aware the Note has a pixel density of 518. The Google Pixel is 441. This does make a difference!

I just returned a OP3 because of the poor text on the display, there still is a pentile problem to my eyes at 401ppi. This is why I have a concern with the Google Pixel at 441, its better but very close. Not as good as the 518 on the Note 5.

So in other words I am satisfied with diamond pentile at 518ppi. I am not satisfied with pentile at 401. My iPhone 6s is fantastic at 326ppi non-pentile. Pentile is still an issue for those who favor sharp text.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc