Pixel phones boot loader and security issue

AnhChuong

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
If i remember right then Google claimed that their phones cannot be hacked because of the new Android version.
But i wonder what would happen with the Pixel phones that sell via Google Store which has been unlocked to enable install custom ROM and such things, in term of security?
Are there any places that sell Pixel phones but not going through Verizon, or international version with BOOT LOADER LOCKED? So far i've only heard that Verizon will sell these phones with boot loader locked, however, i hate their apps appear in the phones.

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
If i remember right then Google claimed that their phones cannot be hacked because of the new Android version.
But i wonder what would happen with the Pixel phones that sell via Google Store which has been unlocked to enable install custom ROM and such things, in term of security?
Are there any places that sell Pixel phones but not going through Verizon, or international version with BOOT LOADER LOCKED? So far i've only heard that Verizon will sell these phones with boot loader locked, however, i hate their apps appear in the phones.

If you are looking for a bootloader locked phone, I guess it will be choose any other Android phone than Nexus/Pixel. :)

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Buy the phone from Verizon, then uninstall the 3 apps that they put on. Then they won't appear anymore.
Problem solved

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The ones that Google sells come out of the box with the bootloader locked. So they are secure in that aspect.

They can be unlocked, but that requires enabling developer mode and enabling a setting first and then unlocking the bootloader which will wipe all data.

They are just as secure if you keep the bootloader locked.

Verizon's version just doesn't allow you to unlock it at all.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

Google Store phones are only unlocked in the sense that they're SIM unlocked, meaning that they're not tied to a specific carrier so that you can use it on whatever network you wish. It doesn't mean that the bootloader is unlocked. You have to intentionally and purposefully unlock the bootloader yourself. Don't unlock the bootloader, and your problem is solved.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon